71 replies to this topic

#31 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 07:16 PM

Cheiffan,,  Do you have the Wis. engine  Instruction book and parts list,?? in the back it has a flywheel alternator trouble shoot section..   I'm an elec.trical idiot,, so all I can do is ask..  But it doe's give some tests to perform... 

Yes I do have the manual, in fact i have two different versions of it but both are so close to the same it is not worth mentioning.   As was pointed out to me those test procedures are for the charging system on engines with the starter drive only,  and not the ignition system with the starter/generator type system like mine has.

• sodisr said thank you

#32 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 07:20 PM

Thanks to another good site member I picked up as NOS stator and module.  Should be here Friday.  The price was such I could not pass it up.  I may have to get a coil yet but at least it will a new factory ignition system and not a patched together system.  I greatly appreciate all the advise, tips and other help all you guys provided.  That is what is so great about this site.  Great people make great things happen.

• KennyP and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#33 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Good luck!

#34 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 07:32 PM

Sorry hard to trouble shoot electrical stuff over the internet, glad to hear you are getting it sorted. Did you ever try the site I sent you? Has some good info for next time.

#35 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 07:37 PM

Yes I do have the manual, in fact i have two different versions of it but both are so close to the same it is not worth mentioning.   As was pointed out to me those test procedures are for the charging system on engines with the starter drive only,  and not the ignition system with the starter/generator type system like mine has.

Chief,, I have the starter gen. system on mine...   Like I said in the other post I'm elec. idiot..   Wish I could get a better grasp to what is going on..    The reason I had to go to Dale Colvert in the first place,, My buddy told me to just hook wire A,, to wire B,,Bla-Bla-Bla. and it must have put a direct short to the module  and I too had no spark.

Hope to get to the bottom of it soon...   Good luck my friend              sodi. 

• chieffan said thank you

#36 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 08:00 AM

Chief,, I have the starter gen. system on mine...   Like I said in the other post I'm elec. idiot..   Wish I could get a better grasp to what is going on..    The reason I had to go to Dale Colvert in the first place,, My buddy told me to just hook wire A,, to wire B,,Bla-Bla-Bla. and it must have put a direct short to the module  and I too had no spark.

Hope to get to the bottom of it soon...   Good luck my friend              sodi. 

Neither one of the manuals I have show the complete schematic for the the electronic ignition module set up.  They leave the module out, probably because the manual was printed before they went with the external module.  In the closest drawing, fig 15 on page 6 is the closest one that is shown.  Have to look at it close to see that is no connection between the charged/starting system and the ignition system.  One could actually remove the starter/generator, voltage regulator and unplug the ignition switch (as long as you have a separate kill switch or button) and the engine would run just fine. 

• sodisr said thank you

#37 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 12:24 PM

Went out this morning after chores and pulled everything off the front - again - to get at the stator.  Removed it completely and found them darn little mice had got to those wires too.  No serious damage as the only got 2 strands of the blue wire.

Stat-1.JPG    Stat-2.JPG    Stat-3.JPG

Covered each wire with about 3 wraps of good electrical tape and then taped the entire repair area.  When i got down under the sleeve over the wires I found that what I been calling a white wire is actually a yellow wire on the OEM parts.  That long extension is white connected to the yellow at the plug.

In metering out the stator if found between the black (ground) and blue (trigger coil) I have .6 ohm which is right where it is supposed to be.  Between the black and yellow(power) if have .774 k or 774 ohm, which is high from information I have.  Supposed to be down around 140 ohm.  That MAY   be where part of my problem is.

• sodisr said thank you

#38 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 11:41 AM

Any progress there Cheiffan .. sounded like you were close to the gremlin...?

#39 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 08:27 PM

UPDATE:  Received the stator and module in the mail today.  Spent the afternoon working on the tractor.  Stator was the first to go in.  New Stator.JPG    New Stator-1.JPG

Before I installed the stator I checked it per instructions I received from a  knowledgeable person?  My old stator and the new one check out real close ot the same resistance readings.  So guess I would not have needed the stator.  I got it in the deal so it is in.  Just a word of caution to anyone removing and re-installing that fly wheel nut lock ring.  Don't bend those tabs any further than absolutely necessary to keep the nut from turning.  If you try to bend them down against the flat of the nut they will break off.

Getting the engine back down onto the motor mounts was bit tricky.  The front has to be tiled upwards to get the flywheel and shroud to clear the PTO tensioner pulley.  This moves the engine forward.  Letting it back down does not move it back again so has to be done by prying, shaking jiggling and any other way you can come up with to get it down on the motor mount bolts.  Eng Dwn.JPG   Once it was down time to hook up all the wires, mount the fuel tank, install the starter/generator, fuel tank, etc. etc.  Rdy 4 Adj-2.JPG   Rdy 4 Test-1.JPG   Looks like It is all back together and hooked up properly.  Going to check for spark first thing in the morning.  I really don't think I will have spark yet due to the coil not checking out like it is supposed to according to the Wisconsin manual.  But, that manual has been wrong before so I might just get lucky.  If I have spark, it will be running by coffee time.  If not, will have to get a coil ordered.  I think the PO hooked up 12V to the coil and took out the coil and ignition module.  Wires were taped together, no ignition switch in the unit.  Just a wiring mess to say the least.  Will know a lot more tomorrow at this time.

Attached Thumbnails

• Fly Whl Nut Lok Rng.JPG

Edited by chieffan, November 05, 2015 - 08:29 PM.

• ClassicBolens said thank you

#40 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 08:42 PM

Looks like your making progress, hope she fires for you tomorrow!

I think those lock washers were a 1 time use thing kind of like the connecting rod tabs which also tend to break when you try and rebend them :wallbanging: 

#41 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 09:58 PM

Looks like your making progress, hope she fires for you tomorrow!

I think those lock washers were a 1 time use thing kind of like the connecting rod tabs which also tend to break when you try and rebend them :wallbanging:

I think you are right on that.  Broke the first one off.  Second one I bent just far enough to catch the corner of the nut flat.  Should hold it.  going to sleep on it tonight and see what tomorrow brings.

#42 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 962 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 11:30 PM

Looks like you have a few more unused tabs left on the lock washer. If so, bend a couple of them over as well just to be safe. Glad to see you making progress. On a side note, I have a NOS wiring harness for the 1476 and 1477 that I'm going to reproduce soon, so if the need arises let me know.
  • sodisr and chieffan have said thanks

#43 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 07:23 AM

Looks like you have a few more unused tabs left on the lock washer. If so, bend a couple of them over as well just to be safe. Glad to see you making progress. On a side note, I have a NOS wiring harness for the 1476 and 1477 that I'm going to reproduce soon, so if the need arises let me know.

Will sure keep that in mind.  Right now the wires are just run from point A to point B, as can be seen in the photo.  I have some split tubing that will be used to hold them together along with some wire ties.  Won't look so much like a bramble bush then.  Need to get the engine running first.  Then make sure the hydro is good.  THEN, I can start on the cosmetic stuff.  Fender pan and hood are straightened out 95% so may just put them on for this winter and run it that way.  Have a blade for it so may put that on and use it this winter.  Should work a little better then the H16.

• ClassicBolens said thank you

#44 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 03:44 PM

Will that work on a 1455 as well?

#45 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 962 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 06:12 PM

Yes, but only on 1455 model 198-02.