6 replies to this topic

#1 TimW OFFLINE  

TimW
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 08:44 PM

I am a bit confused, I love and have a bunch of older gear driven tractors, Bolens and the such.  Does anybody make a geared transaxle anymore.  Even the crappy little box store ones.  Is everything hydrostatic?  Not that I want one of the hideous little toys, but I am blanking on the last time I saw one.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted October 27, 2015 - 06:08 AM

I think that it is like trying to buy a standard transmission car now days. I think the better built JDs and Simplicities are available but they are expensive. I bought a Case last night and am coming around to liking hydros. Especially with hydraulic lift. Good Luck, Rick

• TimW said thank you

#3 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted October 27, 2015 - 09:44 PM

I think that it is like trying to buy a standard transmission car now days. I think the better built JDs and Simplicities are available but they are expensive. I bought a Case last night and am coming around to liking hydros. Especially with hydraulic lift. Good Luck, Rick

I did my snow removal for years with a big gear drive Sears with hi/lo rear and manual lift. It was a beast, but it took over an hour to clear the snow. Fell into a hydrostatic Bolens with power lift. 20 minutes and I am done. Huge time saver.  Paul

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 12:40 AM

I did my snow removal for years with a big gear drive Sears with hi/lo rear and manual lift. It was a beast, but it took over an hour to clear the snow. Fell into a hydrostatic Bolens with power lift. 20 minutes and I am done. Huge time saver.  Paul

My Bolens 1250 is my favorite tractor but its down with trany problems. Good Luck, Rick

• TimW said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 05:18 AM

That equates to less seat time!

• TimW said thank you

#6 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 07:34 AM

That equates to less seat time!

At ten below zero, less seat time is fine by me. Means more time to tinker in the garage!  Paul

#7 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 03:01 PM

Without researching it a bit I would say no.  And most of the box store brands that are not hydrostatic are nothing more than a variable belt drive hooked to a forward/reverse transaxle.