#31 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 11:46 AM

Here is a article I found, just research Cattle and global warming.

Are cows the cause of global warming?

A cow does on overage release between 70 and 120 kg of Methane per year. Methane is a greenhouse gas like carbon dioxide (CO2). But the negative effect on the climate of Methane is 23 times higher than the effect of CO2. Therefore the release of about 100 kg Methane per year for each cow is equivalent to about 2'300 kg CO2 per year.

Let's compare this value of 2'300 kg CO2: The same amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) is generated by burning 1'000 liters of petrol. With a car using 8 liters of petrol per 100 km, you could drive 12'500 km per year (7'800 miles per year).

World-wide, there are about 1.5 billion cows and bulls. All ruminants (animals which regurgitates food and re-chews it) on the world emit about two billion metric tons of CO2-equivalents per year. In addition, clearing of tropical forests and rain forests to get more grazing land and farm land is responsible for an extra 2.8 billion metric tons of CO2 emission per year!

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) agriculture is responsible for 18% of the total release of greenhouse gases world-wide (this is more than the whole transportation sector). Cattle-breeding is taking a major factor for these greenhouse gas emissions according to FAO. Says Henning Steinfeld, Chief of FAO's Livestock Information and Policy Branch and senior author of the report: "Livestock are one of the most significant contributors to today's most serious environmental problems. Urgent action is required to remedy the situation."

Livestock now use 30 percent of the earth's entire land surface, mostly permanent pasture but also including 33 percent of the global arable land used to producing feed for livestock, the report notes. As forests are cleared to create new pastures, it is a major driver of deforestation, especially in Latin America where, for example, some 70 percent of former forests in the Amazon have been turned over to grazing.

Are cows to blame for global warming? Are cattle the true cause for climate change?

We cannot deny that farming has a major impact on global warming. Since farming is basically serving the consumer's demand for food, we should look at our nourishment. With increased prosperity, people are consuming more meat and dairy products every year. Global meat production is projected to more than double from 229 million tonnes in 1999/2001 to 465 million tonnes in 2050, while milk output is set to climb from 580 to 1043 million tonnes.

A Japanese study showed that producing a kilogram of beef leads to the emission of greenhouse gases with a global warming potential equivalent to 36.4 kilograms of carbon dioxide (CO2). It also releases fertilising compounds equivalent to 340 grams of sulphur dioxide and 59 grams of phosphate, and consumes 169 megajoules of energy (Animal Science Journal, DOI: 10.1111/j.1740-0929.2007.00457.x). In other words, a kilogram of beef is responsible for the equivalent of the amount of CO2 emitted by the average European car every 250 kilometres, and burns enough energy to light a 100-watt bulb for nearly 20 days (New Scientist magazine, 18 July 2007, page 15 ).

The following tables indicates the CO2 production in kg CO2 equivalents per kg of meat depending on the animal:

1 kg of meat from produces kg CO2e  beef 34.6  lamb 17.4  pork 6.35  chicken 4.57

Source: Environmental Impacts on Food Production and Consumption. http://www.defra.gov...07_4601_FRP.pdf

Conclusion: Eat less meat and dairy products

The most important conclusion for ourselves is: Eat much less meat and dairy products. This is one of the most effective ways to reduce our personal carbon footprint and to generally reduce our personal negative impact on the environment.

Finally a quote from Albert Einstein (Nobel prize 1921): Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 12:01 PM

Oh good grief. :wallbanging:
  • Bolens 1000, Gtractor, grnspot110 and 2 others have said thanks

#33 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 12:10 PM

And vegetarians go wild.

• backwoods said thank you

#34 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 12:23 PM

Man creates all kinds of poisonous gasses which escape into the atmosphere relentlessly, dump chemicals into our rivers, yet cow farts & belches/etc are claimed to be the major fault with global warming & pollution.    I'd bet if there were a study done involving the study of human methane production after switching from beef to eating more beans for protein....we'd be far worse off!  

• grnspot110, shorty, adamjd200 and 1 other said thanks

#35 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 12:41 PM

I clicked on the link above and it came back page not found. Interesting. 

Olcowhand brings up an interesting point, warning TMI is about to happen, I've been for a few years now eating more fruits and veggies and I got to tell you there are definitely times you wouldn't want to be near me. 

Personally I don't care what kind of a life style a person chooses to live but don't try to force something down my throat when I don't share the same sentiment. It's called mutual respect and that gets lost more and more every day.

• olcowhand, grnspot110, backwoods and 2 others have said thanks

#36 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 12:51 PM

1cancer.JPG

• Bolens 1000, MH81, backwoods and 3 others have said thanks

#37 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 12:54 PM

So we need to put catylitic converters on cows and install that little flap for the unleaded nozzle? :wave:

• grnspot110 said thank you

#38 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 01:08 PM

So we need to put catylitic converters on cows and install that little flap for the unleaded nozzle? :wave:

You won't see me doing that, cows kick.  :smilewink:

• Gtractor and grnspot110 have said thanks

#39 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,618 Thanks
  • 7,662 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 03:10 PM

I wonder how much methane a brontosaurus put out.

• grnspot110 said thank you

#40 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 08:34 PM

The way I'm looking at it is no matter what life style we choose to have there's only one way out. I'll eat my burgers an bacon with a beer an a cig. I prefer venison an fresh pork an beef but I can't always have it so I'll go to the store an be picky of the amount of fat content of the foods I'm buying.
  • grnspot110 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#41 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,034 Thanks
  • 770 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 04:05 AM

A cow does on overage release between 70 and 120 kg of Methane per year. Methane is a greenhouse gas like carbon dioxide (CO2). But the negative effect on the climate of Methane is 23 times higher than the effect of CO2. Therefore the release of about 100 kg Methane per year for each cow is equivalent to about 2'300 kg CO2 per year.

Let's compare this value of 2'300 kg CO2: The same amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) is generated by burning 1'000 liters of petrol. With a car using 8 liters of petrol per 100 km, you could drive 12'500 km per year (7'800 miles per year).

World-wide, there are about 1.5 billion cows and bulls. All ruminants (animals which regurgitates food and re-chews it) on the world emit about two billion metric tons of CO2-equivalents per year. In addition, clearing of tropical forests and rain forests to get more grazing land and farm land is responsible for an extra 2.8 billion metric tons of CO2 emission per year!

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) agriculture is responsible for 18% of the total release of greenhouse gases world-wide (this is more than the whole transportation sector). Cattle-breeding is taking a major factor for these greenhouse gas emissions according to FAO. Says Henning Steinfeld, Chief of FAO's Livestock Information and Policy Branch and senior author of the report: "Livestock are one of the most significant contributors to today's most serious environmental problems. Urgent action is required to remedy the situation."

Livestock now use 30 percent of the earth's entire land surface, mostly permanent pasture but also including 33 percent of the global arable land used to producing feed for livestock, the report notes. As forests are cleared to create new pastures, it is a major driver of deforestation, especially in Latin America where, for example, some 70 percent of former forests in the Amazon have been turned over to grazing.

Are cows to blame for global warming? Are cattle the true cause for climate change?

We cannot deny that farming has a major impact on global warming. Since farming is basically serving the consumer's demand for food, we should look at our nourishment. With increased prosperity, people are consuming more meat and dairy products every year. Global meat production is projected to more than double from 229 million tonnes in 1999/2001 to 465 million tonnes in 2050, while milk output is set to climb from 580 to 1043 million tonnes.

A Japanese study showed that producing a kilogram of beef leads to the emission of greenhouse gases with a global warming potential equivalent to 36.4 kilograms of carbon dioxide (CO2). It also releases fertilising compounds equivalent to 340 grams of sulphur dioxide and 59 grams of phosphate, and consumes 169 megajoules of energy (Animal Science Journal, DOI: 10.1111/j.1740-0929.2007.00457.x). In other words, a kilogram of beef is responsible for the equivalent of the amount of CO2 emitted by the average European car every 250 kilometres, and burns enough energy to light a 100-watt bulb for nearly 20 days (New Scientist magazine, 18 July 2007, page 15 ).

The following tables indicates the CO2 production in kg CO2 equivalents per kg of meat depending on the animal:

1 kg of meat from produces kg CO2e  beef 34.6  lamb 17.4  pork 6.35  chicken 4.57

Source: Environmental Impacts on Food Production and Consumption. http://www.defra.gov...07_4601_FRP.pdf

The most important conclusion for ourselves is: Eat much less meat and dairy products. This is one of the most effective ways to reduce our personal carbon footprint and to generally reduce our personal negative impact on the environment.

Finally a quote from Albert Einstein (Nobel prize 1921): Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.

Propaganda, Brought to you by the NWO.

#42 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,463 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:25 AM

Brought to you by the tree hugging, ice cap melting, human haters of the world...

• Bolens 1000, grnspot110, backwoods and 2 others have said thanks

#43 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:20 AM

I get a kick out of the fact that not one single study will point out the fact that there is about 5.5 billion too many people on this planet. If a person has a problem with modern agriculture, then they should realize they are part of the problem. And rather than wasting money doing a useless study, maybe they should consider a more immediate, non-repeatable solution.
  • Bolens 1000, MH81, grnspot110 and 5 others have said thanks

#44 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:28 AM

maybe they should consider a more immediate, non-repeatable solution.

Spot on!! Cat!!!
  • backwoods, oldedeeres and zippy1 have said thanks

#45 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 12:13 AM

Read the article tonight during supper, while enjoying a beacon butter burger and a tall glass of milk. If it wasn't for the american farmer this whole country would be in a world of hurt. I'll repeat it again. Global warming is nothing but a scare tactic of the government. Just another way for the government to try and control the true american, meat and potatoes people. Hey, now there's a vegetable I like... 

Support your local farmer, You're either full of food or full of s#$%, I'll pick food. :thumbs: Every time. 

Edited by zippy1, October 30, 2015 - 12:18 AM.

• skyrydr2, backwoods and oldedeeres have said thanks