Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 12:21 PM

Good afternoon fellas!  I try to do my homework, as I like to limit my 'what's it worth' inquiries, but in this case, it seems the 990's are both plentiful and desirable, with variations by brand, etc, so I'm not real sure what this find may be worth.

I was offered the opportunity to make an offer on this 990, but I would like to know what a reasonable amount may be.  I'm told it will run, but only after some tinkering, but overall it looks well kept.  Includes a deck that I have not seen, and look sot have most of a 3pt hitch.  I don't typically give much attention to a 'make offer' ad, but in this case, the seller came my way and truly seems to be unsure of what it may be worth.  I'm in the same boat he is!  I'm not looking to steal it, just wouldn't mind bringing it home and getting it resurrected, with enough of a buffer to fix the commonly unforeseen issues.

From what I know, and what you see, is this a $300 machine?  $500?  $1000?  I have no clue.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Attached Thumbnails

• mtd990.jpg
  • mtd 990a.jpg
  • MTD 990b.jpg
  • mtd990c.jpg

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 12:32 PM

Non running, and depending the condition of the deck, I would start at $300 and see what they say.

• boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 02:00 PM

I've paid $300 for worse looking, yet running.  Make sure it rolls over and not stuck and bet good to go. Mouse in housing, rusty around the coil and points I bet is the issue. OR, those darn Briggs carbs can be fussy, even on a running rig.  That is the 3pt w/out the upper link, but now sure about that big pull bar? That swivel up/down when using hitch? If not, get that off and just have the drawbar on it. Tires look good and no rust on wheels and tin, so probly not setting out long time. I would go to $500 and feel safe. Getting upwards of that is not so good, even on a runner. Decks can be either harder to mount or some had the Quick-tach feature and easy to mount, make sure you get both ends of the drive shaft, which will just slip apart. Sometimes one end is on the deck and other left on tractor pto shaft, but will flail wildly if engaged and just hanging there, check that. Even has the tool box behind seat, many times those were taken off to access the 3rd link easier.  I'ld buy it!

Belt guard still on it over pto, good. Is dash broken up, does not seem so in pictures. Most do break somewhere. See it has the slip-on front wheels, not 3-bolt, that probly means later model year.

Edited by glgrumpy, October 26, 2015 - 02:03 PM.

• VTXrider said thank you

#4 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 02:20 PM

Sounds like he wants to get rid of it--offer him $300

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 02:26 PM

A decent seat for it will be around $100.I think $300 350 Maybe 450 if the Deck is in Perfect condition.You could have over $200 in parts Just for the deck if it's rough.Spindle bearings,idler pulleys,blades and belts add up Really quick.

It's always a good idea to try out a Hydro transaxle on a tractor before you buy it.But you can't do that on a Non running tractor.

1 of the old hydro Gilson tractors I had I bought as a non runner and got it running,the Tranny got slow after it warmed up and the Input shaft had been welded up.Might of been just the leaking charge pump seal from someone welding it up but it was a mess.Good thing I bought a Parts tractor "Just in case"

If all else fails buy another tractor or 2 or 10. :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

#6 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 03:29 PM

I paid $225 for a non running 1980 tractor only. $550 for a 1981 runner with plow blade and 50" deck in good shape. $125 for a 1973 parts machine. $250 for the 1978 non runner I am working on now.

The machine pictured about a 1978 or 79 in good cosmetic condition. I cannot see a lift carriage under the frame. It may be with the deck but make sure it is all there.

Edited by VTXrider, October 26, 2015 - 06:33 PM.

• rustyoldjunk and sacsr have said thanks

#7 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 991 Thanks
  • 674 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 05:12 PM

I will not pay over 300 for non running machines unless it is something I cannot live without! That being said, offer what you are comfortable paying and hope he is comfortable receiving. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

#8 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Even has the tool box behind seat, many times those were taken off to access the 3rd link easier.  I'ld buy it!

Belt guard still on it over pto, good. Is dash broken up, does not seem so in pictures. Most do break somewhere. See it has the slip-on front wheels, not 3-bolt, that probly means later model year.

Yes, the tool tray even has wing nuts for easier access.

Edited by VTXrider, October 26, 2015 - 06:32 PM.

#9 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 07:14 PM

Is it my imagination or has somebody replaced the 15 inch wheels with 12" wheels? Good looking tractor either way.

#10 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 09:07 PM

Thank you all very much. It sounds like its "worth" about what I could afford to pay. Ill have to see if that kinda price is something the seller can swallow. It is a 1-owner, but was stolen and missing for about 2 years at one point. The owner replaced it then found and reclaimed the machine, and its sat since. He has had it running and driving but not since spring. It wouldnt start for him yesterday. Updraft beiggs are my bread n butter, so no fear there.

I may go lay eyes on it...
  • olcowhand and rustyoldjunk have said thanks

#11 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 11:08 PM

worth $300 all day, even if its only used for 3pt & towing duty. if it turns over you'll have it running in minutes. the hardest thing to find for these machines are new tires....just like hens teeth.

#12 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 07:03 AM

I am not too far from you. If you decide not to get it, point him in my direction. If you do buy it, I would be glad to help you out any way I can. My daughter lives not far from Dorr, near Bradley, so I pass by often.

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 05:31 PM

Is it worth $300?  Probably, but only if you're sure it's a runner and only if the dash is in good shape (it probably won't be) and the rear tires are in good shape.  These aren't particularly hard to find.  I see crazy high prices on Craigslist sometimes but they sit forever at those prices.  There have been several times on this forum and others where some really nice ones were offered up for sale by members at very reasonable prices and they still took forever to sell, all the while there were multiple members saying how much they wanted one.  What I'm getting at is that they're a bit undervalued compared to other brands.  They just don't seem to bring a lot of money, at least around here.  I love 'em and think they should be worth more but I'm also glad they're not. 

I will say though, that the one you posted looks to be in really nice condition.  If I was in the market, the dash was intact, the deck was good, and it ran well it would probably be worth up to $500 to me personally.  I believe I paid $325 for my first one and that was probably too much looking back.  My second one is pretty rough but runs and drives for only $75.  I've seen a couple at auctions that sold in the $50-$60 range.  I gave $200 for my gear drive model with MTD wheel weights as I was mainly interested in the weights and I valued them at $100.

Edited by Canawler, October 30, 2015 - 05:42 PM.

• RAJ, Talntedmrgreen, Rock farmer and 1 other said thanks

#14 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,062 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 12:35 PM

I am not too far from you. If you decide not to get it, point him in my direction. If you do buy it, I would be glad to help you out any way I can. My daughter lives not far from Dorr, near Bradley, so I pass by often.

I did pass on it, so I can PM  you his information.  He is near Holland, I believe.

I drive through Bradley all the time!  My folks live on Gun Lake, and we used to live about a mile from them.  Grew up on that lake...