13 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 09:18 PM

Didn't know they made em.

I am looking at one on Craigslist (no engine) right now, if I didn't know better this one looks a whole lot like a Snapper...  I have an extra snow king engine collecting dust so I thought I'd look n see what was hanging around out there

#2 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 09:28 PM

I have one in the barn, from what I gather they were built for Wheel Horse by Toro.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 05:16 PM

I have a 11hp Snow King sitting here collecting dust, never had an OHV version of those, engine is same CC size as my L head 8HP snow king on my Deere 828D. Thinking this blower may be decent place for that engine.

Question; Does this take the engine with the extended camshaft? Cuz that is what I have.

#4 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 06:01 PM

I have a 11hp Snow King sitting here collecting dust, never had an OHV version of those, engine is same CC size as my L head 8HP snow king on my Deere 828D. Thinking this blower may be decent place for that engine.

Question; Does this take the engine with the extended camshaft? Cuz that is what I have.

Don't know on the shaft as mine is all complete, shields and all and haven't taken that apart, my only problem is no spark, can you post a pic of what this one looks like.

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 07:44 PM

No, computer idiot here. It is on Chicago CL there is a pic there, machine is in Chesterton In.

#6 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • 1,392 Thanks
  • 1,527 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 08:04 PM

Ok, just looked it up.  That is a bigger version of what I have, mine is a 5hp.

#7 CasualObserver OFFLINE  

CasualObserver

• Member No: 745
  • 6 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 08:56 PM

Depending on the age of the one you're looking at they were in fact a real Wheel Horse product. Wheel Horse made them for several years in the late 60s after they bought Reo.

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 08:56 PM

so of what you know about them, how good of a blower are they?  

Do they have the friction wheel like the Ariens does for the drive?

Any issues getting parts if needed? like gears for the impeller box, belts and such?
I would not mind picking up something like this needing an engine being that I have the engine sitting here that I do.

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 09:02 PM

Depending on the age of the one you're looking at they were in fact a real Wheel Horse product. Wheel Horse made them for several years in the late 60s after they bought Reo.

yeah I have seen a few Reo units out there, since I started asking about this one. It's about 1-1/2 hours north east of me

YA know, back in '79 my Dad bought his 1st snow blower a 4hp/20" sears, brand new. Up til a few short years ago, while I know that plows and buckets have been around forever, I thought that snow blowers in general had only been around a few short years before the late 1970s. over the last couple years I have seen a lot of  snowblowers that come from the late 50s/early 60s.

#10 CasualObserver OFFLINE  

CasualObserver

• 6 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 09:06 PM

Wheel Horse Trailblazer is what they were called. There were 5 and 7 hp models. The 5 had semi-pneumatic hard rubber tires with an ag tire look and the 7 hp model used knob regular tire. I've had both and they were good little workers. Tecumseh snow king engines. Parts are getting harder to come by, but like any of these vintage machines you can generally find whole parts machines pretty easy. Just depends on your area. Around me i see them on CL pretty regularly.

#11 CasualObserver OFFLINE  

CasualObserver

• 6 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 09:11 PM

Thr Trailblazer units also had a mower deck you could mount in place of the snow thrower unit. You separated the power unit off, and mounted the mower kit. Came with an air filter for the engine since the snow king engines didn't have them. I think the kit was model 5-4321 or something like that.

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 05:40 PM

Thr Trailblazer units also had a mower deck you could mount in place of the snow thrower unit. You separated the power unit off, and mounted the mower kit. Came with an air filter for the engine since the snow king engines didn't have them. I think the kit was model 5-4321 or something like that.

so when-a-bouts were these made? 

#13 CasualObserver OFFLINE  

CasualObserver

• 6 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:13 AM

so when-a-bouts were these made?

Around 68-72 or so. I don't remember exactly off the top of my head. You can punch in the model number on a toro parts lookup amd it will tell you.

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 05:27 PM

so if I have an engine that will work on one would it be a worthwhile pickup? How wide of swipe is the 7hp version?