Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:02 PM

My Daughter bought a used 04 Pontiac Grand Am, Not in too bad shape. We had a lot of rain in the last 2 days, and her wipers were acting up. I couldn't get to them right away so I said for her to take it to Pep Boys to have them checked out. When she went in, one wiper was working. They charged her $60.00 to tell her she needed the wiper motor and transmission replaced for $400.00. She called me and I said get it home (pouring rain now) and the working wiper no longer works. She made it home ok.
I got to it today, I removed the wiper assembly, one nylon bushing was missing and the arm wired so as not to move, which popped the other arm out of it's bushing (Pep Boys?). A $3.99 pack of nylon Windshield wiper bushings from Auto zone, a pot of boiling water to soften them. Popped the new bushings in, and installed the wiper transmission. Works like new now.
I swear it is getting to the point that a mechanic will replace the car rather than a $3.00 part now days.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Alc and 13 others have said thanks

#2 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:09 PM

You can't send a woman into an auto repair. It's always open season.

• larrybl, Gtractor, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#3 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:13 PM

Looking at this poorly engineered piece of !@#$!, I found with a little effort I could replace the nylon bushings with some small sealed bearings I have laying around. This thing would then out last the car.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1140463.JPG
  • P1140464.JPG
  • P1140465.JPG
  • P1140466.JPG
  • P1140467.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 4 others have said thanks

#4 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 09:00 PM

I know exactly what you're talking about.  Similar things have happened to my wife more than once but she knows never to give them the OK unless she calls me first. It's really sad but a lot of auto repair shops will try and take advantage of a women.

• larrybl, boyscout862 and Phluphy have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 09:03 PM

This is why I have no respect for 90% of auto repair places. Mom and pop, chain store ect they seem to want to take you for a ride. Very few of them are honest and good people.

I know of maybe 3 places I'd take my vehicle and trust them to be honest and trust the work they have done.

A girl I was dating back years ago was having trouble with her car. I was working a lot and had no time to look at it. She called me and they said she needed an egr valve. She said it was 600 dollars to fix it. I called that guy and ripped him. He agrued and said the egr valve was 550 dollars and I was getting a deal. I countered with "is this the gold plated valve? I already called Napa and the valve is 65 dollars" he had no words and I told him to not to touch the car that I'd pick it up and I wanted to see him before in person. Got there to get the car but he had an "emergency" to attend to.

Edited by toomanytoys84, October 25, 2015 - 09:07 PM.

• larrybl, Alc, dthomp17 and 4 others have said thanks

#6 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 09:05 PM

You can't send a woman into an auto repair. It's always open season.

Oh yeah!! And when you're old it's even worse. But I must admit I enjoy jerking them around when they ask when I last had the muffler bearings checked.   :rolling:  :rolling:

• larrybl, KennyP, dthomp17 and 3 others have said thanks

#7 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 09:08 PM

I try and do ALL my vehicle repairs unless they are warranty or computer related. This happened during the work week and bad weather so I couldn't get to it right away. She is out $63.99, but at least I got them working.  

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and Phluphy have said thanks

#8 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 09:36 PM

It is not only with automotive related issues.

My better half experienced a problem with our heat pump, called a local A/C business.

The serviceman came out and after farting around for what she stated, "for about an hour", he told her he had to fill the system, stating the gas was low.

That system fill involved 40 pounds of Freon, he claimed.  Charged her $70 a pound.

Then he "discovered the built-in emergency heat coils were "shot". Charged her $480 to replace it.

Long story short-for a 3 hour service call @ $90 per hour, using some form of "special tool", I'm thinking it was only the usual 3 gauge setup they use.

The real pisser was a couple of months ago when I changed out the unit and found the coils completely disintegrated, a pile of rust in the bottom of the housing.

This was a Coleman unit, maybe not the best but have always considered Coleman to have somewhat sturdy products.

The above described service call occurred less than 2 years ago...me thinks someone pulled the wool over her eyes.

I was on an out of the area plumbing job and didn't get home until several days after the fact, all worked so never questioned a "local" shop, but have wondered just how much was necessary for the repair.

You read it correct...the bill was for over 3 grand but they knocked off 20 pounds of Freon after the fact.

Edited by Phluphy, October 25, 2015 - 09:42 PM.

• olcowhand, larrybl, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#9 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,115 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 05:56 AM

Larrybl, I like your method of heating the water. Noel

#10 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 06:53 AM

A lifetime ago, I had a girlfriend who drove a VW. She was going to take it to the local VW dealer, who was going to replace the wiper motor. I was suspicious of the place, so I put a dab of white paint on each mounting nut. Yup! When she got it back, the paint was untouched.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 07:01 AM

Yep, and if they can't look it up on the computer, then they can' find it.

My son went in to Advance a few weeks ago to get header bolts, they had to special order them....?? When they showed up, they were like $25 and they were head bolts. :(  I asked him what he told them he needed, he said I told them I needed header bolts for the exhaust.

We used the old ones :thumbs:

After I have gotten screwed by Advance twice in the last year over "lifetime warranties" that I didn't have a receipt for because " we have records in the computer" only to find out they now only keep computer records for 2 yrs, my parts were 2 1/2 yrs old :mad2: .

I now by through Rockauto and get my parts way cheaper than Advance.

#12 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • Member No: 69470
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 07:21 AM

Pep Boys seem to always be very expensive on things. I was replacing the hub assemblies in my truck. NAPA: $55.00, Advanced: $60.00, AA Auto (local store): $60.00. Pep Boys: $116.00

I actually started laughing and the guy seemed pretty confused.

#13 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 08:17 AM

I can't even send the wife to get the oil change in her cars with out getting the phone call   " they say we need to have this done and this " I reminder her I said " just oil and the filter that's it " . no we don't need new wipers or other stuff .

Patrick.

Edited by Little Irish Men, October 26, 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 10:00 AM

Many years ago. just after I retired from the Navy, I needed to replace 2 tires on my truck.  $$$ were tight so Pep boys had a good special on tires.  I went in and bought 2.  When they took the truck back to mount them low and behold they came back with a laundry list of repairs for well over a grand.  I told them mount the tires or give me my money back.  They mounted the tires.  I have never stepped foot in a pep boys again!  That store is now closed.

A while back the wife bought a set of firestone tires. When she bought them she had the front end aligned and everything else checked.  About 3 weeks later she had to take it back for some reason and the tech comes out and tell her the front end needs alignment.  By the time she was done with the tech and manager they were offering her all kinds of free services and she had cleared the show room of potential customers.  Not the first time she had done that.  Shortly after we were married, we were looking at a new car.  We thought we had the deal done. The salesman had gone to get the deal approved, so I went to the restroom.  When I came out the wife was chewing the salesman out up one side and down the other.  He had come back with a completely different deal approved.  She cleared that showroom as well.

Any way these businesses can get one over on you they will!  You always have to be on the guard.

• wvbuzzmaster, dthomp17 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 10:16 AM

I think I'd like to meet your wife WildBill. We could swap battle stories and have a grand old time.
  • HDWildBill and Diesel1050 have said thanks