Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 07:12 PM

I keep a few different size self resetting circuit breakers for troubleshooting electrical problems . My son dropped off his 1985 Honda with an intermittent short in the taillight system . It kept blowing the 10 amp fuse while he drove it . I used a pair of jumpers , male ends at one end and female at the other . Put both male ends in place of the fuse and a self  resetting circuit breaker on the female ends . I used a inductive amp clamp around the wire and tried  moving the different wiring harness around in different places on the bike , found the problem when you had the forks turned just at the right spot  it would spike amp meter and sometime trip the breaker . Closer looking the lower fork clamp rubbed the turn signal wire and a little repair and it's done . Even without the inductive amp clamp and meter it's cheaper then replacing fuses as your troubleshooting.DSCN1951.JPG DSCN1950.JPG RSCN1952.JPG If you look at the meter it's showing  24.3 mill-volts  which with this  inductive clamp  be 2.43 amps  

• DougT, Bruce Dorsi, wvbuzzmaster and 6 others have said thanks

#2 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:22 PM

Good setup. I was shown something similar yrs ago except a turn signal flasher was used in place of the breaker. He used an inductive analog ammeter that didn't have the clamp that he would slide along the suspect wire. When he started from the powered end the needle would deflect one way and when you passed the short the needle would deflect the other way. 

Mike

• Alc said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 05:21 AM

Mike I've see some store bought short finders that I bet work the sane as you described , the problem with the bike it didn't blow the fuse unless the handle bars were just in the right spot .  If I have a dead short I'm going to try using a flasher and the inductive clamp and see how it works for me

#4 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 06:14 AM

Al, what was the amperage rating of the circuit breaker?

If it is lower than the 10A capability of your meter, could you just connect the meter test leads in series with the breaker, and not use the inductive clamp?

If the breaker has an amp rating higher than the capability of your meter, does the inductive clamp prevent damage to the meter? 

#5 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 07:06 AM

Intermittent shorts can be hard to find. In this case just remove the tail lite bulb and lay the flasher on a piece of wood paneling or thin metal such as a tinfoil pie plate to act as a sounding board so you can better hear it clicking when the open circuit closes.

Mike

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 10:41 AM

If the breaker has an amp rating higher than the capability of your meter, does the inductive clamp prevent damage to the meter? 

The meter I have has an internal 10 amp fuse but I think it would blow faster then the 10 amp circuit breaker .  The inductive clamp I think will read up to 600 amps , the way mine works you set you meter to milli volts and on the inductive clamp has a knob which you use to zero the meter  the you and clamp it around the wire , it has a direction arrow on the clamp but it would just show -Neg. volts .

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 05:18 AM

I found a 5 amp circuit breaker I'll add that to my test assortment . I thought they didn't make them smaller then 10 amp

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#8 Rustysteele OFFLINE  

Rustysteele
  • Member No: 72710
  • 140 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 06:34 PM

To find shorts I`ve removed the bfuse, hook up my ampmeter with one connector in the outlet side of the fuse in question, and the other to ground. You will see the meter go to infinity when you get it to short out.