DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 05:18 PM

I thought I'd start a thread on my latest repower project that I did back in the summer. What I wanted to do was to use it as a grass cutter.

I bought a Compete MF12Hydro tractor with mower deck, minus the engine off a fellow GTTalk member for this repower. I also bought a 13hp Honda Clone on sale at Princes Auto, engine came with pull and electric start.

Installed it in the tractor without too much trouble, using the tractors gas tank. Rigged up the exhaust and used a bushing for the pulley on the crankshaft.

I have cut the grass many times with it and it has worked great, lots of power, easy to start and fairly quiet.

However it has some issues.

1 - The tractors fuel tank gets hot, too hot for my liking, if it's a windy day it's OK but if there's no wind on a hot summer day I don't like it. I have tried a couple of different exhaust setups but still too hot. I think the answer is to route the exhaust out as low and direct as possible, the way it is now the cooling air from the engine gets heated up from the exhaust and goes up under the hood heating up everything.

2 - This engine seems to vibrate a lot, I haven't checked the rpms, they seem high,??? need to put a tach on it and check. The screw that limits the governor setting moves, that needs to have some thread locker on it, I noticed this with the other repowers I have done.

3 - The choke control cable works backwards the way I did it.

003.JPG 002.JPG 004.JPG

005.JPG 006.JPG

This is a ongoing project still needs some things done.

Fix the hot fuel tank problem, exhaust.

Put a battery in it, get the starter and lights working.

Tighten up the steering, too sloppy right now.

I also plan to put my MF620 snow blower on it and will see how it does this winter.

Here's a Video of it cutting some grass.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

• limebuzz, Alc, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 05:29 PM

That exhaust is rather close to the tank. Hope you can figure out a better way to run it. I'm sure you don't want to cut metal to do that.

• DH1 said thank you

#3 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 861 Thanks
  • 876 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 07:43 PM

Good looking job Doug. Seems to have plenty of power.I bet the guy you bought that tractor from is kicking himself for selling it off. Lol.

• DH1 and MFDAC have said thanks

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 07:45 PM

As you can tell the headlights and steering wheel cap vibrated off and the nose cone cracked and part of it is now missing, copped up I think.

#5 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:51 PM

I'll steal some more ideas from you here! I'm still thinking that building an exhaust like you did on that other one is what I will do. It won't matter to me to cut a slot in that grill. It's all bent up anyway. Then I can still use the brand-new muffler too. If these engines vibrate that bad I'll just have to get used to it! That looks like one of those real long gas tanks, putting it closer to the exhaust?

One thing I did try on my 12G today was taking the throttle lever and flipping it over as well as the choke one then reversed them in the dash. That at least has the push and pull action right for what I want, but I may need to buy some coil housing and wire to build them longer.

Mine never had headlights so that's one less issue for me that you have to do yet. Ain't no way I'm mowing or pushin' snow after dark anyway!

I too have a 620 snow blower that has never been used since I got it but it seems the heavy wet snows and wind we get here it may not be adequate since it's a single stage. That's why I push with a blade. I have a 2 stage 10 horse walk behind that was a major pain as it would constantly plug up. I ended up pulling the engine and putting that on the 8E and now have a much easier time with snow removal. Maybe the 12G will get a snow try-out this year though with the 630 blade.

Thanks for getting this thread going while I'm working on mine too, Doug!

Doug---AKA---DAC

Edited by MFDAC, October 25, 2015 - 08:53 PM.

• DH1 and Alc have said thanks

#6 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:59 PM

I'll steal some more ideas from you here! I'm still thinking that building an exhaust like you did on that other one is what I will do. It won't matter to me to cut a slot in that grill. It's all bent up anyway. Then I can still use the brand-new muffler too. If these engines vibrate that bad I'll just have to get used to it! That looks like one of those real long gas tanks, putting it closer to the exhaust?

The vibration might be just this particular engine I got, the others didn't vibrate as much.

On the gas tank I wanted the longer/bigger tank to gain some run time.

The muffler, I'm also leaning to doing it like you say, the way I did the other 2 that I repowered.

I don't know what the right way or best way is, so any ideas or suggestions are welcome. 

• MFDAC said thank you

#7 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 09:16 PM

The vibration might be just this particular engine I got, the others didn't vibrate as much.

On the gas tank I wanted the longer/bigger tank to gain some run time.

The muffler, I'm also leaning to doing it like you say, the way I did the other 2 that I repowered.

I don't know what the right way or best way is, so any ideas or suggestions are welcome. 

Yeah, same here it's a seat-of-the-pants deal we are doing, and all ideas will be swiped!

I don't think there is a "wrong way" long as the end result works for the user.

DAC

• DH1 said thank you

#8 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,483 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 07:16 AM

Maybe a heat shield between tank and exhaust?

• DH1 said thank you

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 08:17 PM

I was able to bring the exhaust out lower than what you have.  I bent the grille sides out a bit.  Check out my post and pictures:

http://gardentractor...e-2#entry306285

• DH1 and MFDAC have said thanks

#10 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 08:45 PM

I think I should try that, be nice to get the air cleaner cover on it and I like the way you did the exhaust.

I plan on putting my snow blower on and the drive belt comes off the crank and goes forward, I think I should mount the blower and then try to fit the exhaust like you did. I want a horizontal muffler though.

#11 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 09:46 PM

I was able to bring the exhaust out lower than what you have.  I bent the grille sides out a bit.  Check out my post and pictures:

http://gardentractor...e-2#entry306285

I think I should try that, be nice to get the air cleaner cover on it and I like the way you did the exhaust.

I plan on putting my snow blower on and the drive belt comes off the crank and goes forward, I think I should mount the blower and then try to fit the exhaust like you did. I want a horizontal muffler though.

Hi guys, I hope you don't take this as a hijack but I'm wondering if you would share how you approached the ignition switch setup. I would like to use the new switch in the stock dash hole but also want to eliminate the breaker, or "circuit protector" as it is called on the switch box on the new engine.

Thanks for all the tips you have been helping me with!

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, October 30, 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#12 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 07:56 PM

Hi guys, I hope you don't take this as a hijack but I'm wondering if you would share how you approached the ignition switch setup. I would like to use the new switch in the stock dash hole but also want to eliminate the breaker, or "circuit protector" as it is called on the switch box on the new engine.

Thanks for all the tips you have been helping me with!

DAC

The first one I did I just took apart the key/control box and extended the wires so the key switch would mount in the tractor. Put a fuse in place of the circuit breaker.

Maybe tomorrow I can find some time to work on rewiring mine. ???

• limebuzz and MFDAC have said thanks

#13 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 08:56 PM

The first one I did I just took apart the key/control box and extended the wires so the key switch would mount in the tractor. Put a fuse in place of the circuit breaker.

Maybe tomorrow I can find some time to work on rewiring mine. ???

That sounds like a good plan Doug! I was thinking about that today while working on the cables and was toying with the idea of mounting the breaker switch in the hole where the headlight switch would have been if equipped that way. Would have to drill a couple screw holes and use a washer or something to clean up the larger hole.

I think the fuse idea may be the way to go though. What amperage fuse should I use?

I hope some time to re-wire yours comes up for you!

Thanks---DAC

#14 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 09:14 PM

I think the fuse idea may be the way to go though. What amperage fuse should I use?

I can't remember what I used, the charging circuit is not very strong, trickle charge, 1 or 2 amps, I think I used a 5 amp fuse. ???

• MFDAC said thank you

#15 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 11:56 AM

Update

Before I put the snow blower on the tractor I'd thought I'd put the snow plow on first since it goes on and off easy.

So I removed the mower and mounted the dozer blade.

005.JPG

And a video

https://www.youtube....h?v=3tGrqS961eo

• limebuzz, MH81 and MFDAC have said thanks