Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:07 AM

Not a big fan but used to follow the points lead , catch a race on tv every now and then . The local paper doesn't carry much of anything anymore let alone racing of any form . They switched the tv stations that I used to get. Its been a long time since I watched a race . I'll try today to see if I can find it on the radio or maybe if they are on a different tv station I can get .
  • hamman said thank you

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:23 AM

It's on NBCSN this afternoon. I used to watch them all the time, but they are trying too hard to 'put on a show' instead of racing now!

• Alc, hamman, truck21 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:26 AM

I used to watch all the time. I still catch one every now and then but when the weather is good it is hard to sit inside and the cable going to the garage needs replaced so no tv while working in the shop.

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#4 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,464 Thanks
  • 3,364 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:26 AM

I'd call myself a former fan. At one time listened every Sunday before they made it to TV, went to races starting with the 1966 World 600, been to Daytona, Charlotte, Dover, Richmond, North Wilksboro, and even saw the last race at  Moyock, NC at the old dog track. But NASCAR got greedy, and stupid, trying to make every car and every driver equal and alike, then we lost all the characters from the sport, with Gordon and Smoke being the last of these, I lost interest years ago.

• Alc, hamman and Bill 76 have said thanks

#5 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:53 AM

There was a time when I watched every weekend. Now over half of the season is only available on cable. No cable or satellite here! Why would anyone pay to sit on their a$$ is beyond me.

May try to watch part of the race today if it is on NBC; but have lots to do before that white stuff comes.

• Alc, hamman and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#6 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 09:38 AM

Use to be a huge racing fan. Back when it was best car and best driver to the finish was the winner. Not a big fan of muti car teams and billion dollar companies in the race, However this is how NASCAR has evolved and it will probably stay this way. NASCAR changed forever when Dale Earnhart Sr. died. Probably will watch a little of it later today but not the whole thing.                                                                                                                                                                 Roger

• Alc and Bmerf have said thanks

#7 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,943 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 09:55 AM

Loosing interest here, Hard to watch on Antenna only. Today's race is on NBCSN, so I resort to logging in to MRN for the audio and Race Buddy http://www.nascar.com/racebuddy for the in car cams. A buddy of mine roots for Gordon, and I followed Smoke. Needless to say we are loosing both drivers, and their performance shows. I don't know what we will do after this season.

• Alc and Bmerf have said thanks

#8 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 10:02 AM

Nascar has become faker than wrestling.
  • Alc and Bill 76 have said thanks

#9 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 10:25 AM

Its nothing i go out of my way to watch anymore but if i can find it on the radio ill listen to it. I have a big road course just up the road Watkins Glen International

• Alc said thank you

#10 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 10:33 AM

Use to be a huge racing fan. Back when it was best car and best driver to the finish was the winner. Not a big fan of muti car teams and billion dollar companies in the race, However this is how NASCAR has evolved and it will probably stay this way. NASCAR changed forever when Dale Earnhart Sr. died. Probably will watch a little of it later today but not the whole thing. Roger

Nascar has become faker than wrestling.

Totally agree!

Edited by pharmer, October 25, 2015 - 10:35 AM.

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 10:53 AM

I used to be a big fan many years ago. Enjoyed the sport so much, that I started working part-time for Competition Tire and Goodyear, and have been to most of the tracks located up and down the Eastern part of the United States. I worked as a mounter, meaning our crew would arrive a couple of days before each race, and we'd mount all of the tires to the rims for all teams. This included the Camping World Series, Winston Cup Cars, Busch Series, and the K & N Series. If the track had three races scheduled for that weekend, we'd mount approximately 3,500 tires in a matter of three to four days. I've worked for them for eight and half years, and with each passing year, I've watched the attendance dwindle each year. Each track seemed to have more and more banners placed over the seating areas, as a way of forcing the spectators closer together so that the TV cameras wouldn't show all of the empty seats. 

I've met and talked to a bunch of the drivers, as well as team owners and crew chiefs. Some guys were a pleasure to talk to, while others were hung up on themselves. At first, I really enjoyed working with the NASCAR family, but as the money issues started to sink in, and NASCAR realized that there had to be changes made in order to keep the public interested, things just didn't seem like a family orientation anymore. At the end of the 2014 season, we were told that Goodyear will still provide the racing tires, however Competition Tire will be doing all of the tire mounting in their warehouse instead of at the race tracks. So needless to say, we were not needed anymore and were left go. Word around town says that Firestone is trying trying hard to take over the NASCAR racing series tires, after Goodyear's contract runs out at the end of the 2017 season. Don't know for sure, but it does seem as though that is the case, especially after finding out the Tony Stewart picked that same time frame to retire. He told me once that Goodyear has it's flaws every now and then, but they still make a much better racing tire than Firestone. Maybe Tony knows something we don't. I do agree with the majority here, and that is NASCAR racing isn't what it used to be. People like the crashes, fighting, and like to see the drivers compete. With the way things are set up now, it's not as much racing anymore, but rather, how well can you play, follow the leader!! I know Dale Earnhart Sr. wouldn't like how things are going, and frankly, I'm surprised that Richard Petty is still content with the results.  

Sometimes I miss it, but most times I don't. No matter what though, I will always remember and cherish the times that I got to meet each of the drivers and owners, and value the opportunity to get to go to some of the tracks that I never would have imagined that I ever thought I'd go to. 

• Alc, drbish, EricR and 1 other said thanks

#12 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 12:33 PM

I'm probably the only one but yeah, I am and have been since 1965. Got my first subscription to "Stock Car Racing" magazine in 1966. In 1973 I went to work for a Local race shop that actually got to run in 4 Winston Cup races. Our best finish was the World 600 May 25th 1975 where we got 12th. Incidentally that race was Dale Sr's first cup start and he finished 20 something.

Anyway the only ones I just sit and watch are the night races because that's when the wife can generally watch them too. I have the TV's on out in the shop while I'm working on projects, today I'm going to try to get some quality time on the MF12 while Talladega is on. Got the pre-race show on right now. Yesterday I had to do the brakes and an oil change on my wife's car and the Truck race was on my TV's.

If it wasn't for big money and big business involvement I would still have to rely on news reports and maybe a tape-delay rundown like the old days. In the 60's every now and then a month or so after a major race a person could catch 10 minutes or so sandwiched between a cliff diving and a polo report on ABC's "Wide World of Sports". I'll take these big money times any day over that!

DAC

• Alc said thank you

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 12:54 PM

I used to love it. Watched every race every week. Then I started to feel like it was all rigged much like I feel like all commercialized sports are. Who winning is going to make the franchise the most money?

Haven't watched a race in 12 or so years.
  • Alc said thank you

#14 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 01:19 PM

Been a fan of Racing and NASCAR for years. Like any other sport, you have to understand it to enjoy it.  You complainers are sore cause you don't follow it enough to understand what all is involved.  Like any other sport, changes have been made.  Not all have been to the good in some opinions.  In the old days when there was few restrictions on what could and could not be done to and used on a car was OK back then.  But like everything else in this world, money started to influence the odds and rules had to be implemented.  If your favorite driver don't win the winner was cheating.  Wow !  Now how stupid is that?  Again your don't understand the whole of the sport.   There is a heck of a lot more to it than cars going around in circles.  If you think it is all show you try and drive a car around a track at over 190 mph.  You would probably crap your pants at 90 mph.  If you don't like NASCAR, fine.  I hate Hockey, Golf and Basketball too but go off to bash it.  I am going to watch the race and have a relaxing afternoon with the Mrs.

• Alc said thank you

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 01:50 PM

Probably will be a fan for life. Not having cable I do not get to see as much as I would like.

Liked it better when it was stock car racing. Today's cars are spec cars hand built right down to the stock appearing bodies.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 25, 2015 - 01:52 PM.

• Alc said thank you