38 replies to this topic

#16 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 10:44 AM

When I got a quote for my steel truss shop back in '04, the salesman said the price was only good for 30 days because steel price was going up so fast. A friend built the same shop a year later and the price had doubled. The excuse was china was buying all of the scrap, driving up the new steel prices. Now they arent and the price should be dropping.

Kinda like lumber prices going up after every hurricane, then the hosing boom. With out those as a factor for the last 8-10 years, the price should be almost free by now.

• dodge trucker and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#17 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 01:20 PM

I don't suppose you'd want to share the name of your scrapyard would you? My local wants some serious money for gravely stuff I'm interested in. I have gotten some good deals though on plain metal. Mine is exeter scrap.

I've noticed that Exeter is a bit pricey. They were advertising a MagnaTrac for about 3 times what it was worth.

The scrap yard I go to, is on Route 14 in Moosup, CT. Their Thrift Store is in front. Its called "One More Time Around" and they are very nice. The phone number is 860-564-3720. They are open Tuesday thru Friday 10 to 5 and Saturday 10 to 4.

Information like this should be shared. We will all do better when we share resources like this. What are you working on? Good Luck, Rick

• tiretrx, Oldford, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#18 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 935 Thanks
  • 685 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 01:48 PM

I got $50 a ton 2 weeks ago. The guy that buys my shop scrap, has a big yard that plays the commodity field, and told me he doubts things change for quite some time. China has drawn way back buying and noone is filling the void.

• boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 02:38 PM

I got $50 a ton 2 weeks ago. The guy that buys my shop scrap, has a big yard that plays the commodity field, and told me he doubts things change for quite some time. China has drawn way back buying and noone is filling the void.

I may move some of my pile up to the concrete where the cows used to eat & loaf then.  The pile is getting kinda big next to the old shop doors.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#20 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 02:39 PM

I've noticed that Exeter is a bit pricey. They were advertising a MagnaTrac for about 3 times what it was worth.

The scrap yard I go to, is on Route 14 in Moosup, CT. Their Thrift Store is in front. Its called "One More Time Around" and they are very nice. The phone number is 860-564-3720. They are open Tuesday thru Friday 10 to 5 and Saturday 10 to 4.

Information like this should be shared. We will all do better when we share resources like this. What are you working on? Good Luck, Rick

Thanks, I'll look into them as soon as I can. Like a lot here I have several irons in the fire. I'm working on rehabbing a kwik way loader for my 816 rider. I almost have enough money stashed to get new hoses and seal kits. Then I have to work out getting a new rods made for the bucket cylinders. I also need to get some steel to extend the under carriage. It's my over the winter project.

Exeter quite often has gravely walk behinds someone has scraped and wants $300-$350, that's a bit much for a non-runner. That's more in line what they're worth running. Regardless of what some on CL think. 

Too bad about scrap prices being way down, I do have a healthy load of light iron to get rid of before the wife gets mad. Maybe I'll have enough to get the steel I need if they have what I'm looking for.

#21 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 03:12 PM

I have a few piles of torch steel I need to get rid of, but it isnt worth the time it takes to load it for $.01 a pound

#22 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,534 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 03:26 PM

A guy came in to the feed mill where my dad works after getting rid of a ton of scrap in Utica, said he only god $40 for the entire load, also said that one yard is going to stop paying all together and post a sign that says you can leave your scrap here for free.  I have about 1.5-2ton(including a Farmall C carcass) to go but at that price it isn't worth my fuel to haul it in, even to the yard in Norwich, NY which is closer than Utica, not to mention easier to get to.

#23 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 09:48 AM

Kinda like lumber prices going up after every hurricane, then the hosing boom. With out those as a factor for the last 8-10 years, the price should be almost free by now.

not quite. The "hosing boom" is in full swing. Like the other comments here along the lines of "no, SCRAP is down" yet if they have something guys like us want to BUY from them then all of a sudden it's worth its weight in gold..... but they won't pay you nothin for it if you are selling it to THEM, will they?

• boyscout862, Oldford and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#24 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 09:58 AM

to buy from a scrap yard it is normally 3 to 4 x more expensive than selling to them , especially with non ferrous aluminium ect ect

when the price wars were on in 08 it certainly was a shame to see what people were passing in to get the big bucks  , old cars & such

whom ever has a stockpile of steel , you are better off just holding it till the prices raise again ,

no ferrous is still stable here though ,but for how long i don't know 

new steel & most other products never drop as they are a retail item from manufacturer's ,the middle man never misses out !!

i'll just cash mostly nonferrous now till things get better & keep stockpiling the steel for now , have got on a guess about 7 + tonne stored atm 

brought home nearly a tonne today of white goods ( fridges washer machines ) & such 

Shane 

• tiretrx and boyscout862 have said thanks

#25 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 12:06 PM

to buy from a scrap yard it is normally 3 to 4 x more expensive than selling to them , especially with non ferrous aluminium ect ect

when the price wars were on in 08 it certainly was a shame to see what people were passing in to get the big bucks  , old cars & such

whom ever has a stockpile of steel , you are better off just holding it till the prices raise again ,

no ferrous is still stable here though ,but for how long i don't know 

new steel & most other products never drop as they are a retail item from manufacturer's ,the middle man never misses out !!

i'll just cash mostly nonferrous now till things get better & keep stockpiling the steel for now , have got on a guess about 7 + tonne stored atm 

brought home nearly a tonne today of white goods ( fridges washer machines ) & such 

Shane 

its different if you have an out of the way place that you can stock pile....

#26 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 12:36 PM

A guy came in to the feed mill where my dad works after getting rid of a ton of scrap in Utica, said he only god $40 for the entire load, also said that one yard is going to stop paying all together and post a sign that says you can leave your scrap here for free. I have about 1.5-2ton(including a Farmall C carcass) to go but at that price it isn't worth my fuel to haul it in, even to the yard in Norwich, NY which is closer than Utica, not to mention easier to get to.

I'll have to check the yard up the road your not that far away from me I'm out side of Corning N.Y. after I heard the prices dropped I'm been slowly adding to the pile I have bbq grill stainless som alum an a little short steal but I'm waiting for now.

#27 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 03:59 PM

Just for more bad news it is supposed to go down even more by the end of the year and not go back up till spring.

• olcowhand, Alc and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#28 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 06:15 AM

i've been told by a owner of the 1 scrap yard this might go on for up to 2 yrs m8 so there's some potentially bad news & yes i have got out bush to stockpile my excess scrap , 

i just collected about a ton & 1/2 to move out there from this weekend white goods & light steel for storage 

scrap prices is like rain what comes down will go up ...........................eventually .............sigh tich tich 

• MH81 said thank you

#29 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:47 PM

Good news that scrap prices have been holding steady for several weeks now at almost nothing,$3.25 a 100 for #1 unprepared.

• Alc and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#30 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 06:24 PM

3.25 is still low. At least it is here. My sources say that prices should creep back up towards spring. For now I am just piling it up. 

• olcowhand and holdenboy1960 have said thanks