• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,470 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 06:20 AM

i'm stressed , scrap prices are dropping again by 20 to 25 % , it was $82 then dropped to $75 a tonne last week,  come tuesday it'll be about $40 to $45 a tonne thereabouts and there trying to tell us we're not in a recession , what a joke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 07:14 AM

Scrap was $60 per ton a week ago here. They say that China has slowed way down. Scrap prices are dropping as part of the ripple effect. So have oil prices. We will be seeing alot more price adjusting as the demand in China slows more. This will affect all aspects of the worlds economy.

The true unemployment rate around here is probably 3 or 4 times what the government says. All we can do is continue with what works for us and carefully explore other opportunities. Good Luck, Rick
  • Alc, hamman and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 07:35 AM

There was a truck that picked up old electronics once a month in our town. They've quit because the commodities prices are so low they can't break even.

• Alc, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 07:41 AM

I have two  junk  cars and a two ton truck full of scrap .. i'am  waiting for scrap to go up ........ and waiting .and waiting 

Patrick.

• Alc, hamman and Bill 76 have said thanks

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:11 AM

I drove past a scrap yard yesterday where the flashing red LED sign at the entrance said "Sheet metal $45/ton"

I was not happy a couple months ago as my son took the S 10 that he ran in his 1st demo derby in to dispose of it and got right at $100 for it.

I have been doing a little cleaning in the garage and along the outside back wall, and I didnt put what I had out to the curb (nobody has been around on Garbage day Eve in about a month like usual)

I had enough to be in my way, like the original exhaust from my son's Cummins truck, a seized 5HP Briggs shortblock, a cracked Jeep 4.0 inline-6 head and a couple more hand fuls... I threw it in my Dakota and dropped off what scrap I had at one of our regular "garbage day Eve Cruiser's" house that's like 1/4 mile away. Not worth the trip to the scrapyard for me.....

• Alc, hamman and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#6 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,470 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:46 AM

yes guys i hear ya all with the economy world market since Japan has run on false economy  for the last 4 odd yrs it has caught up with them & russia & such with their differences it has frightened other world market trading so we all suffer for it , it is likely to last up to 2 yrs 

• hamman said thank you

#7 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 10:30 AM

Scarp is all supply and demand, I can remember when I was a kid you had to pay $50 for the locale yard to come and get a car from your yard.  I saw this coming about 5 years ago when scrap hit $300 a ton, It cant stay there forever and you cant make a living in junk.  be happy the yards are still paying for you old scrap.  Remember it is called scrap for a reason, because it is scrap.

Some off the yards around here aren't paying at all for tin and I heard one had closed down.

Pete

• Alc, boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 11:11 AM

My local yard is working on salvage with the scrap. They have a used goods store and a 1/4 acre of mostly LTs and attachments. I got a WH plow and frame for $40 from them a couple of months ago and some small parts for a GT I have. They are getting an extra income from the salvage which doesn't make up for the depressed scrap prices but atleast keeps the doors open for now. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 11:20 AM

I wonder since scrap prices are low , would it be worth going to places that sell good clean steel and get some for those future projects ? Or are those prices they sell still high ?
  • boyscout862 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#10 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 12:27 PM

The local scrap yard here closed, I don't know if they will reopen when prices go up or not?

I have a fairly decent scrap pile, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it???

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#11 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 12:40 PM

I know that a lot of folks rely on good scrap prices but when scrap prices are low my personal expenses always seem lower too. In 2008 it was breakin' my heart seeing the cool old cars, trucks, tractors and ag equipment being crushed and shredded in a frenzy like pace. This lull is only temporary I'm sure.

DAC

• dodge trucker, Oldford and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#12 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 04:38 PM

I wonder since scrap prices are low , would it be worth going to places that sell good clean steel and get some for those future projects ? Or are those prices they sell still high ?

In my neck of the woods , good clean steel prices are still up . i wanted to  do some stuff to my trailer, and good god the price they wanted . I said to the guy steel is down . he said " NO scrap is down" and with that i will have to wait 

Patrick.

• Alc, boyscout862, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 05:10 PM

i'm stressed , scrap prices are dropping again by 20 to 25 % , it was $82 then dropped to $75 a tonne last week,  come tuesday it'll be about $40 to $45 a tonne thereabouts and there trying to tell us we're not in a recession , what a joke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

I feel bad for guys like you & Uncle Willie whose lives are affected so bad by the scrap steel price drop.  What I get from scrap is just extra money, not something I depend upon, so I know it hurts you guys BAD!  I likely have nearly 2 tons of scrap right now, but I'll just sit on it till prices rebound.  As far as new steel, my prices I pay haven't changed much, but isn't bad anyway as they are sort of a salvage steel liquidator of sorts.

• Alc and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#14 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 07:38 AM

I have a big pile I need to clean up, my dad never threw anything away, I should've cleaned it up a couple years ago.

Now I guess I will just kind of go through it, make it look neater and organized then take it. I have a truck load of cans to take too.

oil/gas is dropping, scrap is dropping...why isn't the price of new steel dropping? I about passed out when I went to get some pieces at a local distributor when they told me the price, I ended up digging through the scrap pile :D

• dodge trucker and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#15 devans OFFLINE  

devans
  • Member No: 68585
  • 367 Thanks
  • 256 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 10:25 AM

My local yard is working on salvage with the scrap. They have a used goods store and a 1/4 acre of mostly LTs and attachments. I got a WH plow and frame for $40 from them a couple of months ago and some small parts for a GT I have. They are getting an extra income from the salvage which doesn't make up for the depressed scrap prices but atleast keeps the doors open for now. Good Luck, Rick

I don't suppose you'd want to share the name of your scrapyard would you? My local wants some serious money for gravely stuff I'm interested in. I have gotten some good deals though on plain metal. Mine is exeter scrap.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you