Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Haban? HELP! Ideas needed on snowblower.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 09:01 PM

I purchased this on EBay & it has most of the manuals for Jacobsen, Ford & Oliver model garden tractors. Most pages in all of the manuals are stamped with mrfixit82852@aol.com. I had purchased this before I found this web site. 

Charlie

• Bmerf said thank you

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted October 27, 2015 - 06:59 AM

I probably have that then! I'll look and get it uploaded if I do.

I just looked in the manuals and it is here! It's a parts manual, though.

Edited by KennyP, October 27, 2015 - 07:05 AM.

• Bmerf said thank you

#18 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 09:37 PM

Thanks Kenny. That manual helped a lot.

• KennyP said thank you

#19 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 09:38 PM

Two steps forward; one step back.

Thursday, removed the exhaust and found some much needed room. Finished up the rear mounts, but didn't get them welded in until today. Cut the original mounts off and repurposed them. Man am I out of practice with the arc welder. Not the prettiest welds, but they will hold. Quick attach turned out pretty nice.

IMG_1428.JPG IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1424.JPG

Front mounts need a few gussets. This will be added along with a cross piece to tie both sides together. They turned out ok. Simple and they work. Will add another bolt per side. Mule drive for the deck also needs another mounting bolt (only one from the factory). Will kill two birds with one hole.

IMG_1422.JPG IMG_1427.JPG

Went to lift the blower for test run. Only came up about 1 1/2 inches? Thought about it and remembered there is a float for the deck. On the LGT195, one hydraulic cylinder raises both the three point and the deck through the use of a couple of rock shafts. The long bar for the deck (my new rear blower mounts) has a slot cut in it. This allows the use of the three point without the deck moving up and down. Well this slot severely limits the amount of deck movement. Long story short, a temporary piece of metal was inserted into the slot. Now the blower will lift 5 1/2 inches, more than enough. (Sorry no pictures of the temporary slot blocker, couldn't get the camera in there without removing the tire)

IMG_1419.JPG

This brings me to the step back. First thing I checked this morning. I remembered that I never checked for proper rotation of the blower and the motor. And of course they don't turn the same way! Thought about throwing in the towel before all the welding was completed. No. Didn't come this far not to finish. A jack shaft should allow me to reverse the rotation from the motor. Kind of have it planed out in this pea brain of mine. There is one out in the shed that may work. Will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Brian

• KennyP said thank you

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 06:53 AM

Looks like you are making progress!

• Bmerf said thank you

#21 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 02:47 AM

I had an epiphany; I am an idiot. I make tend to make things more complicated than they are. Last night while :beer: (pondering) the jack shaft. I decided to tear into the front pto and gear box assembly. Once everything was apart, it hit me; the gear box has a shaft coming out the other side! Dumb a$$; just flip the box over and rotation is correct. :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  Good news is no complicated jack shaft system. :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

Progress:

IMG_1456.JPG IMG_1460.JPG IMG_1457.JPG

Everything seems to be working out. To make room for the pulley, had to reverse the axle pivot bolt. This will require a little attention. Went with a 6" pulley to match the drive on the motor. 

Just tack welding the parts for now; too ensure no issues when complete. Need to reattach blower and check all clearances. (looked good on mockup) Unfortunately, probably will be close to a week before more progress is made. Can't play hooky any more. Back to work, my mini vacation is over. 

Edited by Bmerf, November 05, 2015 - 02:47 AM.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#22 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 04:17 AM

Great job so far !! I hadn't been paying attention, your doing a perfect job so far, your front pto should work perfectly. I had to do the same when I mounted a Bolens snow thrower to the front of my LGT years back. Then I found a nice 46" Craftsman 2 stage unit and made that fit. It works AWSOME. Keep up the good work, I'll be watching;-)
  • Bmerf said thank you

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 08:00 AM

Glad you were able to make headway, not give up, and solve the rotation issue all at the same time.
:thumbs:
  • Bmerf said thank you

#24 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 07:29 PM

Found a couple hours to get more done.

Gussets welded. Front mounts done. Need to make cross brace that will tie the two mount together.

IMG_1473.JPG

Pulley welded.

IMG_1471.JPG

Tackled the front axle pivot modifications. Pin has been flipped 180* from stock. Welded bar across the bottom. This stops the pin from rotating while tightening the nut on the other side. Almost 1/4" was ground from the end of the pin. This was to gain much needed clearance. Everything is lined up and with a little wiggle room.

IMG_1480.JPG IMG_1477.JPG

After mounting and removing the pulley about a dozen times; the tack welds on the bevel gear box mount finally broke. :wallbanging:  Fortunately, I was satisfied with the measurements and pulley position. I even managed to get a belt measurement! Thank God.   :worship:  44 3/4 inch. A 45 inch should be perfect with the spring idler setup.

So... Next time, Final weld of the BGB mount. The list of things to do is getting smaller: belt install, Idler pulley swing arm, drive shaft cover mount, and testing.

#25 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 10:24 PM

Today it looks as if I'd better get busy.

IMG_1487.JPG IMG_1489.JPG

Actually, a lot was accomplished last night and today. Last night the tacks were re-welded and everything was mocked up. Engineered the spring loaded idler and mount. Looked good, take everything apart to finish weld. Go to remove pulley and the tack welds break again. :wallbanging:  Another tack and mockup. Because there is a slight angle needed to align the belt with the engine pulley, the tack welded assembly needs to perfect. Remove from machine; again welds break. :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  This happens 4 or 5 times. :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  Time to give up for the evening and ponder the next move.   :beer:

Today went much better. Used the arc welder instead of the mig for tacks. While attempting the pulley removal, it won't budge. Drilled 2 holes in the brand new pulley for puller. Slides right off. :rocker2: Had to modify axle pin again, as mule drive for the deck would not clear it. It seems as if one thing leads to another with this project.

Progress:

BGB mount finished. Front mount brace finished:

IMG_1498.JPG IMG_1500.JPG

Picture of front mount brace installed:

IMG_1511.JPG

Thing of beauty:

IMG_1515.JPG

All sand blasted:

IMG_1517.JPG

Right now all the pieces are painted and currently drying next to the wood stove in the garage. Hopefully they will be dry tomorrow and ready for final? assembly and testing. Still need to make a "slot blocker".

• limebuzz and KennyP have said thanks

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 07:41 AM

I have a BGB off an AC 716. Your use here has given me some ideas on using it. Glad you are making progress!

• Bmerf said thank you

#27 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 08:30 PM

Back at it again. Some assembly required.

Started after church with wire brushing the shafts. Took a peek inside the BGB. Looked pretty good. Gears in great shape with no damaged/missing teeth. Manual says 1 pound of No. 2 multi-purpose lithium grease. Well it didn't look like a pound of grease in there to me, so the grease gun was brought out and 25ish pumps of Lucas Red 'N' Tacky #2 was added to the remainder of the original grease. This should help until time is found to flush out all the old grease.

IMG_1526.JPG IMG_1539.JPG

Then the process of assembly began, Of course this did not go smoothly. The BGB mount angle ended up off by a little and a couple of thin washers were used to shim the bottom of the unit into alignment. It must have moved while being welded the first, fourth, or fifth time. No big deal but, I always strive for perfection. Almost never get it, but always strive for it.

IMG_1532.JPG IMG_1530.JPG IMG_1534.JPG

Added the spring idler system. This gave me fit until the realization that it was in the wrong hole. Hard to see, but hopeful you can make out the details. Very simple in nature. Just a swing arm and spring. 

IMG_1540.JPG IMG_1546.JPG IMG_1556.JPG IMG_1563.JPG

First test. It works, well this part anyway. Nice and smooth no funny noises or vibration. Belt goes roundy-round. Not happy with the exhaust blowing on the spring, this will need to be modified.

IMG_1565.JPG IMG_1567.JPG

It was dark, I was tired, and dinner was ready. Enough for today.  

Next, mount the blower, hookup the drive shaft, modify exhaust, and the real test with snow! Snow will probably be gone by the next tractor time available. Vacation starts on Thanksgiving! :bounce:

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#28 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 01:58 AM

Glad phase 1 was a success.
  • Bmerf said thank you

#29 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 01:29 AM

It works! Well it spins anyway. No vibration or shake. Feels like the deck is engaged.

running 2.jpg

Would have preferred less angle on the drive shaft, but it's not too bad.

IMG_1580.JPG IMG_1597.JPG

My very crude temporary 'slot blocker' with the replacement. This required many attempts. The first attempt allowed the drive shaft to hit the frame of the blower. So a little material was removed at a time until no interference was observed; still a little grinding was needed on the blower frame. Final blower lift height is 4 1/2 inch; not to bad. Painted it red; uncase of loss, it should be easier to find.

IMG_1602.JPG IMG_1606.JPG IMG_1616.JPG IMG_1620.JPG

Does anyone know what these are for?

IMG_1618.JPG

Getting closer. Still plenty to do. Need to work on shoot angle rod and exhaust.

IMG_1623.JPG

Thanks for looking.

• KennyP said thank you

#30 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 08:14 PM

At it again.

Finished up the 'discharge chute control crank' as it is referred to in the manual. Repurposed a piece of 3/8" rebar for the crank and a piece of 1/2" pipe complete with gentle 90* sweep for the support.

IMG_1644.JPG IMG_1633.JPG IMG_1627.JPG IMG_1649.JPG

Copied the newer style of control with a single long support arm coming from the front mount. Didn't want to make any permanent modifications to the tractor. All pieces of the blower unbolt without modification to the tractor except the addition of 2 holes for the front mount and the reversal of the axle pivot bolt. The 2 holes were also needed for the deck mule drive.

IMG_1634.JPG IMG_1641.JPG IMG_1626.JPG IMG_1643.JPG

Happy with the turnout. Parts are painted and currently drying by the wood stove. Need to install the new 2 link chains on the rear tires. These were purchased this past spring at the end of snow season for a good price. They have never been out of the bag; I hope they fit!

Will also be looking into making a bracket for these suit case weights. http://gardentractor...itcase-weights/

Still need to finish up the exhaust modification and maybe add a couple of wings to the blower. And of course, the ultimate snow test. More to come...

Thanks for looking.

• limebuzz said thank you