• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ryanp OFFLINE  

ryanp

• Member No: 2350
  • 2 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 08:36 PM

Bought the mf10 and someone had a motorcycle pipe as a stack on it. It had too much back pressure for the 10, so I ran ran it straight pipe until I can find a muffler for it. It actually doesn't sound too bad a little loud in the shop when you idle it up, but once its at a constant rpm its livable in my opinion.

Who else is running there gt straight pipe

#2 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 09:07 PM

I am going to do dual straight stacks on my X500 JD this year. One of my little projects in store for her. My 68 Cub 104 has a straight pipe on her.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 01:34 PM

I have heard that running a straight pipe on a garden tractor isn't good for the exhaust valve(s). Anyone know this to be true or false?

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 04:51 PM

I have heard that running a straight pipe on a garden tractor isn't good for the exhaust valve(s). Anyone know this to be true or false?

I think it is false. At least not with a length of pipe that is at least a foot or so long. I would imagine maybe if the pipe was a foot or less there could be a chance of it. I think I remember reading something about it being from back when fuel was leaded and it just kind of stuck around but I am not real sure on that.

I have a straight stack on my MF12 and like it, does get a little loud even with ear plugs or ear muffs on. I also had a straight pipe on the Cub 147 I had.

Here is a pic of my 12 with a straight pipe.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0267.jpg

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 05:20 PM

my panzer 1107 has a straight pipe on it and boy is it loud in the steel barn.

#6 wje OFFLINE  

wje

• Member No: 2734
  • 0 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 05:22 PM

If the straight pipe is to long it will turn the pipe a different color , where you see the heat stops at is where you need to cut it off at , thats how everybody in our pulling club does it they say its not letting all the fumes out of the exhaust pipe

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 06:37 PM

So what you're saying is, no exhaust...bad, too much exhaust...bad, but mufflers not required. OK, I think I got it LOL. I did notice the straight pipe on the 12 George, and I meant to ask about it, but got too busy having fun. Thanks for all the replies.

#8 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 08:38 PM

I'm not sure but I believe if the pipe is to short it can allow the exhaust valve to cool to quickly and unevenly when you shut the engine down, possibly warping the valve.
  • caseguy said thank you

#9 ryanp OFFLINE  

ryanp

• 2 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 09:30 PM

Love the pipe on the 12 nutndun looks the same as the one I put on the 10 but I painted mine black with Bar B Q paint

#10 ryanp OFFLINE  

ryanp

• 2 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 09:31 PM

I'm not sure but I believe if the pipe is to short it can allow the exhaust valve to cool to quickly and unevenly when you shut the engine down, possibly warping the valve.

The only way it can cool too quickly is if you get a cold wind blowing up in the exhaust which will cause that
  • caseguy said thank you

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 10:29 AM

Well I know it can't be good for yor hearing! Just ask any Old Farmer that ran the old two cyl John Deere's ,if he can hear you.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 10:44 AM

As George said, as long as there is a length of pipe, you are OK. What IS hard on the valve is when there is no pipe at all, or just the leftover core of a rotted off muffler.
  • caseguy said thank you

#13 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 03:55 AM

.......................... Just ask any Old Farmer that ran the old two cyl John Deere's ,if he can hear you.

I know a few that would agree with this statement for certain..........if you could yell it loud enough for them to hear it.

#14 yardiron OFFLINE  

yardiron

• Member No: 2796
  • 23 Thanks
  • 78 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 04:00 AM

As George said, as long as there is a length of pipe, you are OK. What IS hard on the valve is when there is no pipe at all, or just the leftover core of a rotted off muffler.

I've heard the same thing. I've run several of mine for years with no muffler and have had no issues. Most have only an exhaust pipe running downward or around and out of the hood opening.

I must say though that I rigged up one tractor with a car muffler mounted in the back and ran a pipe to it, it's almost silent, and I really got used to that lack of noise. I did it to allow me to run the thing late at night since I use it to park my boat down back with. Its the only thing that will make the turn past the house and I often find myself getting home with the boat late at night.

One thing I did notice though is how noisy everything else on the tractor is, with the quiet muffler, you can hear the valves tap, the belt whirring around, and every last rattle the the thing makes when running. All the other noise is almost as loud as the engine itself on an older machine.