35 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 05:33 PM

I purchased a cane of short walking stick several years ago. I used it mostly for walking around at a large fair we went to for many years. Now it is used mostly for auctions and that sort of activity. It stays in my truck where it is handy. It is a natural wood crooked type stick but waist high with a thong. To me a walking stick is at least shoulder high.

You mention auctions reminds me, it has been 40 yrs since I have been to a livestock auction. But remember that a long cane was used to move stock in the show ring.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 23, 2015 - 05:35 PM.

• LilysDad said thank you

#17 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,774 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 05:44 PM

After I got hurt I had to use a cane. Problem was that store bought canes are made for shrimpy people and were hurting my upper back.  I had a 1 inch wooden rod that was 6 feet long that I picked up many years ago and I made a cane out of it. It isn't pretty but it is about 3 inches taller than anything I could find in a store. Heavy too. I could use it for a club.

• JD DANNELS and LilysDad have said thanks

#18 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 06:37 PM

I made mine with 3/4" copper tubing & fittings, wrapped the handle with tennis racket tape, used 1/2" copper for the wife's.

• JD DANNELS and LilysDad have said thanks

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 06:55 PM

I made mine with 3/4" copper tubing & fittings, wrapped the handle with tennis racket tape, used 1/2" copper for the wife's.

That is interesting. Stout, reasonably light. I was reading last week about the ornamental rope work and braiding used in nautical/seamanship that would be a good format for some cordage hand grips.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 23, 2015 - 06:56 PM.

• grnspot110 and LilysDad have said thanks

#20 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 07:10 PM

That's a cool hobby do you sell them by chance An if so how much?

#21 Nxt2doc OFFLINE  

Nxt2doc
  • Member No: 66603
  • 623 Thanks
  • 330 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 07:47 PM

As my knees and low back let me know regularly of the abuse they have endured I think of the day when I probably will need a cane. I like the idea of a straight claw hammer head for a handle. That octagon shaft you showed would be real nice on it.

#22 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 09:04 PM

That's a cool hobby do you sell them by chance An if so how much?

Marketing them has been an issue, so far. They are an awkward thing to package and ship, which eliminates eBay and CL. They are too expensive for craft shows and flea markets. I have been building up my stock and am enrolled at a gun show next month. We'll see how that goes.

I've sold the traditional style ones for $95 and that is probably too low. The one in the first photo would go for $29 and the others in between.  When my brother and his daughter asked for a price on hiking sticks, I gave them one. They told me I was way too low. I looked on the internet for prices and was shocked at what people will pay for them.

It takes a number of hours to make a cane, and probably half of that is sanding and finishing.

• grnspot110, JD DANNELS, backwoods and 1 other said thanks

#23 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 11:18 PM

Marketing them has been an issue, so far. They are an awkward thing to package and ship, which eliminates eBay and CL. They are too expensive for craft shows and flea markets. I have been building up my stock and am enrolled at a gun show next month. We'll see how that goes.
I've sold the traditional style ones for $95 and that is probably too low. The one in the first photo would go for $29 and the others in between.  When my brother and his daughter asked for a price on hiking sticks, I gave them one. They told me I was way too low. I looked on the internet for prices and was shocked at what people will pay for them.
It takes a number of hours to make a cane, and probably half of that is sanding and finishing.

I agree, there are too many options in the economy market to compete for a craftsman. One would need to refine his product and aim at the upscale market. Say $75 and up and I think it would bolster a users pride to have quality hand crafted product.

As for marketing, you need a website. I had a friend who was a scroller( made novelty items with a scroll saw).
He had a Winnebego with a shop built into an enclosed trailer and did pretty well.
His daughter talked him into setting up a website in the off season. She was a computer geek anyway and did it for him.
Orders started coming in to the point, he was too busy to travel to shows and without the travel expense, he made more money than he could have imagined.
  • backwoods and LilysDad have said thanks

#24 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 24, 2015 - 11:42 AM

That is an interesting question. It is a compromise, a tip that grips on ice could scratch Or chip flooring and not be popular with people you visit or in businesses. I remember granite floors in banks being chipped as a kid and wondered if canes had done that? A spike(to grip on snow and ice) that could be covered with a screw on tip would seem best?
Do not know if they can be bough but could be made?

After I misted before, I googled spike tips for canes. Medical supplies carry a relatively inexpensive spike that clamps to the shaft. It can be lowered and raised when you want it.

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 24, 2015 - 11:45 AM

My wife often uses a cane on bad arthritis days. She dislikes the look and feel of metal canes (medical device and cold to her hand) and opted for a 1-piece rustic wooden cane where the handle was either a root or branch. It is light, unique, and great to look at - sort of like her:)

The only negative was the bottom metal cap, which proved problematic on hard/icy surfaces. We switched to a rubber coated tack. The cane's tip is something that often gets ignored when choosing a good cane. Any better suggestions out there? Thanks.

There is a clamp on spike that can be lowered when needed and raised when not. Your local medical supply store should have them. They are not what I would call pretty, but sometimes function must override style.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 24, 2015 - 11:47 AM.

#26 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 01:07 PM

One more just done; vine twisted Red Maple w/ a Coco Bola handle

103_9973.JPG

Sorry! I didn't realize that was such a bad picture.

Edited by LilysDad, October 25, 2015 - 01:09 PM.

• grnspot110 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#27 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 01:16 PM

I too make canes and walking sticks. Started when my Olde Deere injured his hip and needed one. Like Willie said, most commercial ones were made for "lightly built" persons and made you feel more insecure than using nothing. Lee Valley sells cane/walkingstick tips in various designs as well as other hardware. We found that rubber crutch tips wore better than cane tips and gripped better too on ice or packed snow. The snap down ice picks are great and can be folded up out of the way when you go into a store etc.

For self handles I look for suckers of poplar, birch, etc. and chop around the base until the root cuts off about eight/ten inches from the trunk. The trunks are anywhere from one to one and a half inches in diameter depending on the type of tree and the kind of cane/stick I'm making. There is often a right angled turn where the sucker came through the ground and it makes a very comfortable and strong handle, no join to weaken it. I use the wheel on the grinder to trim off extra roots and burnish the handle, then add carving or designs to the shaft, whatever suits the stick.

• grnspot110, KennyP, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#28 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 04:14 PM

I bring one of these to events if lots of walking. Don't need cane but if I stop moving I have to sit or I get back pain. You could make one out of wood

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by Jazz, October 25, 2015 - 04:18 PM.

• Bmerf and oldedeeres have said thanks

#29 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 04:40 PM

I too make canes and walking sticks.

Do you have any photos? This thread doesn't have to be just about mine. Anyone else have any unusual sticks?

• JD DANNELS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#30 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 08:51 PM

Sorry, no pics. Will have to wait until Less is More comes back for a visit and gets my pics transferred.( I am woefully inept at that technology.) Mine are not beautiful like yours are; merely rough and tough and kinda redneck. My Olde Deere liked them that way, said he wouldn't know how to use one that he was afraid to scratch up. His have chain saw nicks, axe bruises and cow blood on them!

• JD DANNELS, KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks