LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,624 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 10:53 AM

One of my hobbies is making handmade canes. Whither or not you need a cane, I believe you can look stylish with one. I dislike those aluminum things that look like a medical device.

Some of my canes are primitive, like this one with wood burned design and a leather strap. I dig down and include the root ball to make the handle.

103_9967.JPG

The next is a more traditional style. The shaft is a tapered octagon rather than round and the collar where the wood changes color is pewter. The wood on this one is Ash and Walnut.

103_9968.JPG

The next is a mixture of the first two; a traditional handle and a natural branch for the shaft.

103_9969.JPG

The last is an Ash shaft with a hames knob (brass knob from a horse collar) for a handle.

103_9970.JPG

103_9971.JPG

• olcowhand, daytime dave, Gtractor and 16 others have said thanks

#2 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 915 Thanks
  • 664 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 11:43 AM

Those are beautiful! The one with the horse hame really talks to me, nice bit of repurposing there  :thumbs:

Just curious, have you ever made any walking sticks?

• JD DANNELS and LilysDad have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 12:19 PM

Nice canes!

• LilysDad said thank you

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 12:39 PM

Those are really nice.  What a cool and unique hobby!

• LilysDad said thank you

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,624 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 12:44 PM

Those are beautiful! The one with the horse hame really talks to me, nice bit of repurposing there  :thumbs:

Just curious, have you ever made any walking sticks?

A few. I made one for my SIL that had a trout's head carved in the top end.

My niece talked to me about making walking sticks for her to sell on an on line sight she had. Suddenly she decided to move to

NY and it all fell through.

I didn't mention that I'm working on a cane that has a cow horn for a handle. I'll photo it when it's done.

• JD DANNELS, KennyP, tiretrx and 2 others have said thanks

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 01:42 PM

Those are nice! That is a hobby I have wanted to get into. Have made a few primitive walking sticks.
Have one made from Aspen I cut in Colorado Wet Valley foothills of the Sangre De Cristo mountains near West Cliff. Never have used a cane when walking,but like a walking stick.
Did use an old cane yesterday in the garden to plant two 70 ft rows of garlic, worked well enough I will use it more.

There is a fast growing market as so many of us "Baby Boomers" are getting up there in age.
I intend to cut a bunch of shafts and put them up to cure this winter.
My great uncle used to make a lot of canes to sell to a hospital.
He would bend the crook in saplings tied with rags, then trim branches below the crook till they had grown enough to cut. I was very small when I watched him do it. But I think he said he would. Wait about 7 yrs. Before he cut them.
Most made now are steam bent I think.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 23, 2015 - 02:02 PM.

• KennyP, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,624 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 02:33 PM

There was a time when a well dressed gentleman wouldn't go out without a cane. Now, people are embarrassed to have folks think they need it. I wish they would get over that way of thinking. I use one if I'm going to a fair or flea market and am going to be standing a lot. If your going in a dangerous part of town, it makes a simple weapon if you need it.

• JD DANNELS, backwoods and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 dblover OFFLINE  

dblover
  • Member No: 73516
  • 266 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 02:52 PM

My wife often uses a cane on bad arthritis days.  She dislikes the look and feel of metal canes (medical device and cold to her hand) and opted for a 1-piece rustic wooden cane where the handle was either a root or branch.  It is light, unique, and great to look at  - sort of like her:) 

The only negative was the bottom metal cap, which proved problematic on hard/icy surfaces.  We switched to a rubber coated tack.  The cane's  tip is something that often gets ignored when choosing a good cane. Any better suggestions out there?  Thanks.

Edited by dblover, October 23, 2015 - 02:52 PM.

• JD DANNELS, LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 03:21 PM

There was a time when a well dressed gentleman wouldn't go out without a cane. Now, people are embarrassed to have folks think they need it. I wish they would get over that way of thinking. I use one if I'm going to a fair or flea market and am going to be standing a lot. If your going in a dangerous part of town, it makes a simple weapon if you need it.

I seem to see more of them in use as I get around town. Many appear to be home made. I do not know if is because they are coming back in style or if it is because I am interested in them?

Do you cut a peg on the shaft, or are you using an insert to attach the handle?

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 23, 2015 - 03:22 PM.

• LilysDad and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 03:28 PM

My wife often uses a cane on bad arthritis days. She dislikes the look and feel of metal canes (medical device and cold to her hand) and opted for a 1-piece rustic wooden cane where the handle was either a root or branch. It is light, unique, and great to look at - sort of like her:)

The only negative was the bottom metal cap, which proved problematic on hard/icy surfaces. We switched to a rubber coated tack. The cane's tip is something that often gets ignored when choosing a good cane. Any better suggestions out there? Thanks.

That is an interesting question. It is a compromise, a tip that grips on ice could scratch Or chip flooring and not be popular with people you visit or in businesses. I remember granite floors in banks being chipped as a kid and wondered if canes had done that? A spike(to grip on snow and ice) that could be covered with a screw on tip would seem best?
Do not know if they can be bough but could be made?

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 23, 2015 - 03:31 PM.

• LilysDad, oldedeeres and dblover have said thanks

#11 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 04:03 PM

Nice work and as a second hobby they take up a whole lot less room than tractors! Ditto on a simple weapon..fellow at our local market makes bear sticks..They are a 6' walking stick with a removable end that reveals a 6" steel spike.

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,624 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 04:22 PM

My wife often uses a cane on bad arthritis days.  She dislikes the look and feel of metal canes (medical device and cold to her hand) and opted for a 1-piece rustic wooden cane where the handle was either a root or branch.  It is light, unique, and great to look at  - sort of like her:) 

The cane's  tip is something that often gets ignored when choosing a good cane. Any better suggestions out there?  Thanks.

If it's being used indoors I go with what is called a crutch tip or chair leg tip. These can be found in home improvement stores.

People in Europe are more interested in cross country hiking and they use a cane with a spike. This site has hardware for sticks that includes cane tips. http://www.thewoodcr...e-Hardware.html

Edited by LilysDad, October 23, 2015 - 04:31 PM.

• JD DANNELS and dblover have said thanks

#13 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 05:06 PM

Very nice canes and a great hobby.

Even if you don't "need" a cane, you could always use it as a "walking stick" like the hikers use.

• JD DANNELS and LilysDad have said thanks

#14 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 05:26 PM

I purchased a cane of short walking stick several years ago.  I used it mostly for walking around at a large fair we went to for many years.  Now it is used mostly for auctions and that sort of activity.  It stays in my truck where it is handy.  It is a natural wood crooked type stick but waist high with a thong.  To me  a walking stick is at least shoulder high.

#15 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,036 Thanks
  • 773 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 05:32 PM

I knew an old fellow who used to hike the appalchian trail,He would carve walking sticks wich he would leave along the trail.I had met him in the local dinner when he asked me if i hiked the trail, I said I did,and he told me of his walking sticks, I never did find one. but I heard the were realy nice, your hobby reminded me of him. Nice work!