• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 864 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 06:40 AM

Hello all; its been a while since my last post, I have a toro 269h with a cracked hood and missing a corner. I picked up a another with a bad hood but not damaged in the same spots, is there anyway to fix-weld-fiberglass. I thought I would ask as I know some of the stuff wont weld, some wont let fiberglass adhere, I have heard of using plastic tie wraps and a soldering gun, any advise or experiences will be appreciated thanks john

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,773 Thanks
  • 4,281 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 07:00 AM

If it is  a  fiberglass hood it can be fixed with fiberglass.  You need a clean rough surface on the inside for the cloth patch to adhere to.  By clean I mean perfectly clean.  Won't hurt to drill several 1/8" holes through to foo part where the patch will overlap.  This gives more for the glass to adhere to.

You can weld plastic but I have not heard of welding fiberglass.  Two completely different products entirely.  Putting only the glass or plastic fill over a crack will not work.  It will crack again in the same place.  You can buy the fiberglass kits from most auto parts stores with the glass, hardener, & cloth.  Also you cna buy the auto body filler with Tiger Hair mixed in with the filler and you only add the hardener.  Either product can be worked down to a smooth finish, however the Tiger Hair probably will required a top coat of pain body filler to get it real smooth.  All you patch work will be on the inside where it don't show so usually that is not a problem.  Sand the dimples down that comes through the 1/8" holes, don't chip or break them off as you will break them loose on the inside also and loose the holding ability.  Good luck with your repair.

• KennyP, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 alec OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 10:49 AM

depending on the plastic ( there are many different kinds ) you can get plastic repair stuff ( epoxy like ) and use a mesh backer ( like drywall mesh ) . there are also plastic welders that come with sticks of different plastic ( like a hot glue gun with a bit metal tip ) or you can cut a piece of one .. fit it to the other and pop rivet ,screw, bolt it together using a backer plate ( or not ).

heck take a solder gun and see if it melts :thumbs:

• farmer john and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,889 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 11:40 AM

As stated, it matters what type of hood you are dealing with. If truly fiberglass, you need resin and mesh to repair, then you can sand and skim coat with body filler to smooth and paint.

some plastic can be melted back together. I repaired a plastic radiator with zip ties and a solder gun. I repaired the plastic hood on a JD that got busted. I had to make a metal plate to create a new hinge, but then fixed all  the cracks with JB Weld, sanded and painted. Tractor was sold so not sure how it held up.

A 2 part liquid epoxy maybe your best bet. Cut/fit pieces you want to match, glued together, then make a plate to cover seam for the back, then prep and paint.

Edited by TAHOE, October 23, 2015 - 11:41 AM.

• farmer john and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#5 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 864 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 07:04 PM

upon closer examination I am sure its plastic,  

#6 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 10:23 PM

Most plastics can be welded. I have had pretty good luck with a cheap harbor freight plastic welder kit - basically a glorified soldering iron with a flat tip.... You need to know what type of plastic it is to use the right kind of filler rod. OR, if you can harvest a few pieces from the hood and use them as filler, it becomes a no brainer as to the type... I generally sand and use a filler to get it smooth and ready for paint again - some folks can smooth out the liquid plastic so the finished product is good enough to paint "as is", but I'm not that good......

Look at why it cracked in the first place.... If it is a poor design that stresses the hood (and that's why it broke), you may want to put some type of brace or extra support on the back of it so it doesn't crack again.