• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 06:35 PM

Ok so the tiller on my jd 300 will only cut maybe an inch down going forwards but in reverse while tilling it'll go right to the top guard. Did I attach the lift arm wrong under the tractor?

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 06:56 PM

Any pics? To show what you are working with.

#3 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 07:09 PM

No the tiller is currently off the gt. The last time I hooked it up. I set everything up at ground level. Here is a pic of it attached uploadfromtaptalk1445558937987.jpg

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,137 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 07:11 PM

Which way is the tiller rotating?  if it is turning the same direction as the tractor tires it may be pushing the whole machine and not have enough time to go deeper.  I always felt a revers rotation and a fast rotation was the best tiller.  A slow turning tiller will not do a good job or go very deep in harder ground.

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 07:27 PM

Sounds as though your lift isn't keeping it up. I would check if tines are on right.

#6 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 07:42 PM

It has plenty of speed an I believe it turns the same direction as the wheels never paid any attention

#7 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,913 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 07:52 PM

This year I ripped up some lawn into garden for a neighbor. With each pass I could get about an inch deeper. I found it was hard to allow enough time for it to dig down.

How hard was the ground when you tried?

#8 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 08:21 PM

A good part of was plowed disced an tilled but it still would not go more then the inch even while sitting still. But driving in reverse while tilling it digs great.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,137 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 06:49 AM

Strange.  Any mounting that would hold it up going forward would hold it in that same position going backward.  Only thing I can think of is the depth gauge under the center of the tiller itself.  Is it mounted correctly?  If it is set to low going forward would hold it up as that is what it is supposed to do.  When you go backwards it could be swinging forward and not holding the tiller up.  Personally, I never use a depth bar.  More trouble than they are worth.  I set the depth by the raise and lower adjustment.  Stay put in either direction.

• propane1 said thank you

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 07:56 AM

Does it have a holding foot? Had that problem with my Bolens tiller until I put the foot down the whole way.Then it tilled great.

The holding foot should be set deeper than the tines.It helps to pull the tiller down and hold the tractor back so it doesn't push you forward.

Tilling is done at Slow speed that's why alot of the Garden tractors had Lo range.Maybe your going a bit to fast also?

#11 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,433 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 01:06 PM

The depth gauge is long gone by the time i picked it up.

Does it have a holding foot? Had that problem with my Bolens tiller until I put the foot down the whole way.Then it tilled great.

The holding foot should be set deeper than the tines.It helps to pull the tiller down and hold the tractor back so it doesn't push you forward.

Tilling is done at Slow speed that's why alot of the Garden tractors had Lo range.Maybe your going a bit to fast also?

What is a holding foot an what does one look like?? The speed shouldnt have been an issue since i would let it dig before moving forward if i let the tractor crawl the tiller would hop a little bit even on the ground that alread had been worked this spring an not dig going forwards but if i want in reverse just crawling it would dig beautiful.

Edited by backwoods, October 23, 2015 - 01:07 PM.

#12 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 02:28 PM

I took the depth gauge or holding foot out of my MF12 tiller, works better and I control the depth by the lift arm.  Also, if i get stuck and try to back up, the tiller digs deep and will stop the tractor, I think thats just the way it is with tillers. meant to dig while going ahead, not backwards.  

Tines on backwards as mentioned.  Noel

• CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#13 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 02:40 PM

I have a walk behind tiller that I rescued from the dump. I mounted a motor on it, fired it up and it would not dig. On closer inspection the outside tines were on backwards. I flipped them around and the unit works great. As others have mentioned, check that yours are not on backwards.

Jim

#14 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 03:01 PM

Sounds like your lift linkages is allowing the tiller to float.

With the rotation it's trying to climb up when going forward and the linkage isn't holding it in place.

#15 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 04:55 PM

Mine has a float built into the lift linkage. The weight of the tiller lets it dig down, if it had no float, when you hit a rock or something solid, it would not be able to jump up for relief of of the hard obect. Mine jumps up a lot when it hits some thing hard. MF 12 tractor, don't know about others. Noel