• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Oldironken OFFLINE  

Oldironken
  • Member No: 76557
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 01:14 PM

Before his passing 13 years ago my father had bought and restored a Shaw R 12-T and a small Shaw 2-wheeled walk behind.  

The family farm is in Ohio and i live in Connecticut, so distance is a factor for me. For years i had planned to bring the Shaw east but as time has passed that becomes less likely, i collect hit&miss engines and don't have enough time for them.  Since i'm not going to take it the family would like part with it for a fair and reasonable price.

I'm guessing the R 12-T has been in the family for about 20 years, my Dad thought it was a 1937 or a 39, it was running when last parked in the equipment shed about 10 years ago. The rear tires are like new as my father had replaced them when he bought it, the front are dry rotted and shot.  When cold it took a 10-20 seconds with the clutch in to change gears without making noise.  My Dad had it painted green, probably not an original Shaw color, but it looks nice.

The walk behind has a small briggs engine on it and appears to be in original condition. The tires are shot but the rest of it looks nice.  It too has been stored inside, probably all of it's life.

So i'm looking for advice on how to advertise, price it, etc.  I can get pictures for them as needed. My brother and 2 brother-in-laws are always available to show the machines to anyone interested. I just happen to be more internet savvy than the 3 of them.

I hope i'm not breaking any Forum rules by asking these questions.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

• Lauber1 said thank you

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 01:25 PM

Ken, pictures would help identify them and see what you have. I think 48 was the first year for the R12T. AND......Welcome to the forum.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 01:39 PM

Yes, please post some pics.  I possibly could be interested in the R 12 T but we'll have to see how everything goes.  What part of Ohio?

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 02:30 PM

:welcometogttalk: :camera:

#5 Oldironken OFFLINE  

Oldironken
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 02:52 PM

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.  

I'll gather what pics i can find and post them, it may take a while to find them.  The machines are in Medina County, between Cleveland and Akron not far from  I-71 and I-271.

#6 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • Member No: 61764
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 07:20 PM

I know a guy looking for a R12. Please post some pics!

#7 Oldironken OFFLINE  

Oldironken
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 06:41 AM

I created an Album here on the site with 4 pictures i took a few years ago.

Shaw left side
Album: Shaw DU-ALL R12T
4 images
0 comments

Shaw Tag
Shaw right side
Shaw right front
Shaw left side

• Tbrooks said thank you

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 11:53 AM

Ok so, what would you have to have for it?

#9 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 09:41 PM

sent you a PM. Please see if you can get pics of the walkbehind.

#10 Oldironken OFFLINE  

Oldironken
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 27, 2015 - 06:39 AM

Mom said she'd like to get $600 for the Shaw R12T

I talked to my brother last night, he pulled the engine through compression a few times with the pull rope and it went smoothly, said he could hear the mag snapping.  Just to reiterate the front tires are shot so loading it will take some patience.  They will be able to help pull it out of the shed with another tractor and get it positioned to load onto a trailer.

If you have already sent me a PM i apologize for not getting back to you yet, i wanted to get things squared away first. If you are still interested in the machine please send me a message with your real name and number. i will send you her phone number so you can call her to set up a time to go see it, she will arrange with my brother or brother-in-law to be there when you come.  

She's 82 and pretty spry yet she's a little cautious too. i will want to give her a heads up on who might be calling. I don't want to post her phone number publically.

Sorry for dragging this out, i've been communicating with family members to make sure i have all of the information right.

• olcowhand said thank you

#11 Oldironken OFFLINE  

Oldironken
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 27, 2015 - 12:42 PM

One more thing that my brother reminded me of and i forgot to post earlier.  When we last had it running it ran a little rough, we put a rebuild kit into the carb but it didn't make a lot of difference. So, assume the carb will need some tinkering as well.

Now back to your regularly schedule program...

#12 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted October 27, 2015 - 05:05 PM

Have any pics of the walkbehind?

#13 Oldironken OFFLINE  

Oldironken
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 05:46 AM

No pics on the walk behind yet, it has been safely stored under the steps to the garage attic for a long time and will take some time to get out into the light.  I spoke to my Mom last night and see said the name plate said Shaw model A2, it has a briggs engine on it.  

#14 Oldironken OFFLINE  

Oldironken
  • 6 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 08:08 AM

Both Shaw's were purchased yesterday.  The buyer contacted my Mom earlier in the week and came by Saturday afternoon, he ended up with both of the Shaws, he came for the R-12 and liked the look of the A2 as well. 

I want to thank everyone who contacted me and my Mom for your patience and understanding. She felt very comfortable with the process and was pleased the machines went to a collector who would appreciate them like my Dad did.  To those who wanted to see and/or purchase the machines but didn't get a chance, i know your pain.  I've missed out on enough hit&miss engines to know your disappointment. 

We old iron collectors are really caretakers of an important era of American agricultural history that no museum has the room, time, or money to save from the scrap yard.  We hold on to history for a short while and hope to find someone like ourselves worthy to pass it on too when it's time.

I may go start my 1914 Associated Chore Boy this afternoon in memory of Dad and the love for old iron he passed on to me...

• DougT and drbish have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shaw