FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 01:55 PM

Well as a follow up to my 48" blow blade build, Today I noticed that I managed to bend the main push arm. This is right where the round tube went into the square box of the old plow frame. Now granted, I had about 450lbs more weight on the tractor, and plowed a couple two-footers this winter.

I think that I will re-build the arms kind of the way I did my neighbors. But this time, I plan to make it mount in place of the sleeve hitch and use a beefed up sleeve hitch bracket mount arms. These will tie into the stock trailer hitch hole for a better design for both the snow plow and the sleeve hitch. That is the weak point I see on the sleeve hitch brackets, so a gusset that bolts down to the stock hitch plate will really help it out.

Anyway, I thought I would mention it while I noticed it, and I will update when that gets under way. A deal has been made to procure a Massey snow-blower too, so that should take the need out of the big heavy snow bashing I gave the poor Massey this winter!

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 05:32 PM

Would like to see pics of the damage :D

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 05:43 PM

Nuthin special, just a little bend. It would be easy to bend back really. But I would really like to set up some reinforced sleeve hitch arms so that things can me mounted to them like the snow plow, and maybe a mid-mount grader blade. If I think about it, I will grab a photo for you though!

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 05:47 PM

Once we get weight one our tractors and they get tractor the definitely have a lot of power for their size. I think reinforcing it would be cool. I often wondered about the angle pieces that the sleeve hitch adapter hooks to how they hold up. Especially pulling a plow and latching on to that immovable tree root.

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 07:21 PM

Once we get weight one our tractors and they get tractor the definitely have a lot of power for their size. I think reinforcing it would be cool. I often wondered about the angle pieces that the sleeve hitch adapter hooks to how they hold up. Especially pulling a plow and latching on to that immovable tree root.

I found that the nuts and bolts that hold on those angle parts of the rear lift vibrate loose when I use my box blade to flatten out the drive way. I now have nylon locking nuts on those bolts. IMO the bolts are small, should of been the next size up, however they would act as a break point the way they are if too much load was put on them.

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 20, 2011 - 07:44 PM

See, on this plow frame I built my neighbor, I beefed up to .25 x 2" angle iron. Granted, fore-thought would of had me building the frame so that the brackets faced the other way, but this was a build as I go deal.

Anyway, you can see how well adding a nice thick brace out to the bottom of the hitch plate would work. This will be in the final build design and a sleeve hitch adapter made to pull trailers. (And a hitch ball with the shaft turned down to slip through the sleeve hitch pin hole and a pin clip to retain it in place.)

Posted Image

Posted Image