132 replies to this topic

#16 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 08:32 PM

Eric,

Just got the carb back on tonight. Thanks to a forum member and local shop I may be getting closer. Cleaned out a very small hole in the threaded area on the brass insert that holds the bowl and the main jet. Also got better instructions on setting the governor. Seems to be starting to run better. Thanks folks for the support.

Looked at another Massey 7 today for parts. Has better hood grill and dash plastic.

Also got a used gas tank from a friend and mounted that.

Regards,

Chris

• limebuzz and MH81 have said thanks

#17 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 05:01 PM

Ok, anopther run at the Massey.

Got the battery charged up and also took the pull start off and lubed the cam locks, so it works fine now.

This is how I set the governor.

Engine is Off

Loosen the screw in the pivot point arm of the governor.

Trun the shaft of the governor clockwise when standing on the right side of the tractor.

At the same time pull the arm which has the throttle linkages attached, to the wide open throttle position.

Then tighten down the pivot screw at the governor arm joint.

This seemed to work pretty good.

The other adjustment for high idle is a small screw that contacts the small cam plate near the throttle cable.

So after these adjustments and the minor jet screw tuning while running, the Old Indian is running pretty good.

Rhett (great grandson) and I drove it around the yard for a half hour or more and it preformed pretty well.

Now on to the next steps: Just purchased another Massey Ferguson 7 hp (standard shift) that I plan to use as a parts tractor. Should pick this up in the next few days only a few miles from home. Hoping it has enough parts in better conditions to complete one tractor. It has a Wisconcon (wrong) engine in it. Hood has been tweaked along the edge by the P.O..

I now need to get serious about what this lawn tractor is going to end up like. I do know how these projects can get out of control:) The goal is to have it at the local tractor show featuring Massey, next July.

If anyone is looking for other small Massey lawn mower parts, I may have some extra stuff when the dust settles.

Here are some pictures from today.

Brother-in-law, Dave taking the hoodless Massey for a test spin. He gave it the thumbs up!

DSC04737.jpg

Rhett and I on the Massey, he is 6-1/2 months old and loves to ride on the tractors!

DSC04739.jpg

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker, November 19, 2015 - 06:33 PM.

• DH1 and limebuzz have said thanks

#18 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 878 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 08:52 PM

Glad you got it running. Nice little mowers. 

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 07:24 AM

Glad you got it going.
I must've missed it, but what was up with the charging?

#20 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 11:35 AM

MH81,

Its still not charging due to the fact that the contacts on the aluminum block thingy under the right side of the dash are all corroded and not even hooked up.

The 7 hp tractor I am getting looks to be in better shape visually in thaqt area. So hoping I can get it to a charging tractor again.

Currently just running off the battery.

May try to pick up the M7 today, if I can borrow a trailer.

ThisMassey  tractor needs a lot of work to be a nice tractor again. I have done a few of this size and some bigger ones too.

Regards,

Chris

• limebuzz said thank you

#21 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 05:13 PM

Folks,

Well I finally realized that the hood for the Massey had been altered to accept a incorrect gas tank.

Anyone have pictures or correct tank for one of these?

Just a little discoraged today on this little tractor project. Would rather be working on a 10 12 or 14 hp.

We will plod along this path for a while and see where we end up. I did not get the new 7 hp yet but that is where I realized they are not supposed to have a hole in the hood!:(

Anyone make a grill shell from a 7 hp fit a 8 hp engine?

Guess I will go start it and see how it runs today.

Regards,

Chris

#22 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 09:10 PM

Folks,

Was able to borrow a trailer and loaded the Massey MF-7 and brought it home today. Have all the parts off it that I need. I may take the mower off as it looks to be in a little better shape than the one I have from the MF-8.

These are the items that seem to be better than what I had:

hood and hinge

both foot rests

both side panels

seat

seat pan

dash plastic

Steering center cap

electrical items.

Grill

Even though they are better they all need some TLC.

I am going to try to cut the "C" shaped hole for the Tec air cleaner in the side of the newrer grill. Time will tell on that portion of the project.

This MF-7 had a Wisconson engine in it which I am willing to sell. it rolls over but I am not planning to start it. I can get the numbers if anyone is interested.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker, November 21, 2015 - 09:18 PM.

#23 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 12:53 PM

Folks some picture of the Massey 7.

DSC04741.jpg

DSC04742.jpg

DSC04743.jpg

Seat looks to be in decent shape. Anyone know if this same seat was used on the 8?

DSC04744.jpg

DSC04753.jpg

Its coming off the trailer to its new home! I only had to drive about 3 miles so I did not even strap it. Yea I know not the best idea.

DSC04745.jpg

Wisconsin engine will be set aside .

DSC04746.jpg

DSC04748.jpg

Lots of Jerry rigging in there.

DSC04747.jpg

7 hood setting on the 8 tractor.

DSC04749.jpg

Here is where I need to modify the left side of the  7 grill to be like an 8 grill with the cut out for the air cleaner. There is a hole there already so I wont be hurting much. That should test my metal working skills. I would like to form the lip inward around the cut out too, but not sure that I can with out messing it up? So it may end up just being the correct size with no lip?

DSC04750.jpg

Red plastic on front of the hood, lower portion has been tweeked upward. Any chance this can be re formed with gentle heat? I think there are repros for $80.00. Would try to avoid that cost unless I get desparate for a good looking nose piece?

DSC04751.jpg

This dash is off the 7 and is in much better condition. Still has one cracked spot but is supported and under the metal dash panel.

DSC04752.jpg

Keep plugging along. Hope things are good in GT land!

I need pictures of correct MASSEY gas tank. Neither of these is correct.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker, November 22, 2015 - 12:54 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#24 esbbent OFFLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 240 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 01:42 PM

Here are a couple of pictures of the MF8 gas tank and the bracket that holds the tank. The tank sits down in from the top and clamps around the tank just below the lip that goes around the side of the gas tank.100_0357.JPG 100_0356.JPG 100_0355.JPG

• Sugarmaker said thank you

#25 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 07:21 PM

esbbent,

PM me please!  I have some more questions too. Looks like I need another bracket coming off the engine also? Thanks you very much for taking the time to post these pictures! Looks like a steel tank. Any pictures of one mounted up?

Regards,

Chris

#26 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 09:02 AM

Folks,

Hope everyone has a very happy Thanksgiving. I have been slacking on the little Massey. Cold weather and low ambition this time of year. There is much cleaning and repairs to do to this machine for it to be presentable again. You folks that get into these deep, know what I mean. I would like to get my electroliss tank back in operation for general parts cleaning. It just doesnt work well if the weather is going to freeze it solid.

My side of the garage is full of big tractors so my work shop area is limited at this time of the year. If I make some moves I will try to take some pictures.

Regards,

Chris

#27 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 25, 2015 - 08:02 PM

Fols,

Weather was very nice here today so I was able to spend a couple hours just doing some cosmetics, to see if things might start to come together.

Two main goals were to save the Massey 7 hood and turn it into a Massey 8 hood.

The PO had tweeked the left side of the hood for a gas line to enter or for clearance for the wrong engine. This had been bugging me. A chance to use those HF hammers and dollies.

DSC04765.jpg

Some work with the hammer / dollies and a file.

DSC04767.jpg

DSC04768.jpg

Next was the cut out for the hood to clear the TEC engine. This is the 8 hood used for a pattern.

DSC04769.jpg

Layout and double check deminsions with a claiper to .005 inch then cut with a axe and grind to fit:)

DSC04770.jpg

Thin cutoff wheel on the Dewalt made short work of this cut out.

DSC04771.jpg

Trimming and smoothing the radius with a rat tail file.

DSC04772.jpg

The bent area was just under the MAS area, ahaead of the cut out.

DSC04773.jpg

Paint stripper applied. About three applications and 95% of the red was off. Used a heat gun to help soften the decals.

DSC04775.jpg

DSC04776.jpg

DSC04782.jpg

Used the D/A to sand smooth.

DSC04783.jpg

DSC04784.jpg

Wanted to get a coat of primer on the bare metal as it may be a while before it sees a top coat.

DSC04787.jpg

No filler added in the area that was bent out. This came out pretty good, if I must say. Most stuff looks better in primer:)

DSC04788.jpg

This is going to be for another day. I want to make the 7 grill into a 8, by adding the cut out for the TEC air cleaner.

DSC04790.jpg

The bottom portion is still intack to use as a pattern of the radius from the 8 grill. Would like to try to form that lip? Not sure how yet?

DSC04791.jpg

Still in search of the correct gas tank for this little tractor. If anyone has one the want to part with let me know.

DSC04792.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving!

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker, November 25, 2015 - 08:12 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#28 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 02:24 AM

You are a regular animal Chris. Dig in head first, right?

Nice job on the hood... You always make things look easy, that I know isn't.

Well you carry on buddy, and we'll be watching from here.

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,459 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 05:24 AM

Hood looks good Chris! For that lip, how good are you with that angle cutter? Take some of that metal you cut from the hood and make some small strips for the inside of that lip. Now weld them to you hole cutout. You have your lip! I did that on my Alice build. Page 11, post 165.

#30 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 26, 2015 - 12:50 PM

Todd,

You found me again! Welcome! Looking forward to pictures of that new Case project of yours on here too!

Kenny, I did think about welding that lip on the grill cut out also. That is my back up plan if I cant bend it.

Looked at the hood a little more in the light and it needs some more tweeaking to match the original seam in the hood.

Happy Thanksgiving GT folks!

Regards,

Chris

• KennyP said thank you