132 replies to this topic

#1 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 07:44 PM

Hi folks,

I had forgoten about this forum due to too many other places to chat. But now that my wife forced me to bring this old Massey home, I may need some help.

It was neglected for many years and had set out side un-covered.

DSC04549.jpg

I have replaced the tires and have three of the rims cleaned up.

It does run but may need additional carb work. As you can see it has been modified with a torch by P.O.

DSC04559.jpg

I know these small lawn tractors are not as desirable as the bigger brothers but right now this is what we have.

DSC04558.jpg

DSC04552.jpg

One of the issues is its not charging. And I am not much of a electrician. So that may be area I need some help. I see there are some threads on that subject I will search out.

DSC04550.jpg

Thanks to Al, on another tractor forum, for providing the links to this forum!

Also any information on these small machines would be helpful. I kind of like the machine but have my site set on a bigger one too. I have a mower deck foor this tractor also.

Regards,

Chris

• rustyoldjunk, Gtractor, limebuzz and 6 others have said thanks

#2 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 07:54 PM

Welcome aboard, nice little tractor. I have one also that needs a flywheel to run. Good luck with getting the little girl running properly.

• Alc said thank you

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,114 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 08:07 PM

I have a MF 7. Great tractors. Very nice to cut grass with. Steer good and quick and easy to operate the transmission. Mine is a 1971. I also have a 1969 that some day will get together. Have the engine done for it. That's a start.
I also have a MF 12 and a 14. Also great tractors. Noel.

And your wife forced you to take home a tractor ????
Oh, it's a hydro. Mine is gears. Still nice to use. Hydros are good.

Edited by propane1, October 20, 2015 - 08:15 PM.

• limebuzz said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 09:33 PM

That will be a nice LT to work with.
I believe the service manual you need is here
http://gardentractor...service-manual/

#5 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 04:14 PM

I had a massey 7 and it was a great gt ---very easy to drive

#6 fignasiak OFFLINE  

fignasiak
  • Member No: 53386
  • 10 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 05:59 PM

I just got an MF8H yesterday myself. It needs a bit of maintenance (more than the advertisment let on) but looks original. It also came with a snowblower. Never used one before but it looks damgerously fun. Any idea how to change the hydro fluid? Mine looks like its original (the manuals say to  only top off, doubt it was ment for 30+ years). I also have a MF7 with a manual gearbox, its a bunch of fun; it was repowered with a 10hp at some point. I think these are great for tight areas, the HT20 Bolens it a pain to turn around in the drive.

-Frank

#7 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 08:26 PM

Frank, Folks

Fluid in hydro? I am sure that there is a drain plug on there some where. I had a friend stop over and he showed me the latches on each side near the front of the rear wheels that releases the seat pan and lets it flip back for service. I took the lid off my hydro and it was full. If any thing like a Cub these are pretty solid units.

I took the seat pan off yesterday and used my new hammers and dollies to straighten out many dings dents and ripples. Have to break out the Mig welder to fix some broken metal. The pan doesnt look that bad now.

Picked up some red and gray MF paint at TSC but I dont think it is a good match may take it back and check with NAPA.

Every time I go to Tractor Supply it costs me $100.

Cut the bolts off the Massey seat spring brackets to fender pan. Those need a good dip in the electroliss tank if and when I get that set up again.

I noticed my plastic dash is cracked under the right side, with pieces missing:(

Next step is to pull the hood and grill. I found a MF7 parts tractor with better hood, grill, dash and electrical. Not sure I want to find out how much the guy wants for it.

I will try to get some pictures as I move along on the Massey project. The wife says it doenst have to look good to go to the show next year. Hummm!

Regards,

Chris

#8 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 08:36 PM

Just pulled the trigger on a new seat for this Massey 8. I couldnt take that temporary duct taped wet seat! If its going to be around for a while It might as well look good and be comfortable. Was around $60. I looked at TSC today and they did anot have any seats that were close to what I wanted. So we went with the Northern Tool Mid back seat. Its not original but should work well for a long time. Now I am going to have to work on that seat/ fender pan!

Regards,

Chris

#9 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 09:26 AM

Picture of the seat.

17432_65x65.jpg

Regards,

Chris

#10 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 27, 2015 - 08:05 PM

Folks,

This engine just doesnt not want to run good! I cant seem to get he carb working properly. it revs to high then when adjusted it stalls out like its starved for gas. I did get another used float. The lower neddle valve had a flat tip, like the point was broke off. I found another needle with a point, It hasent made a difference. Friend looked at the carb and thought the three very small holes were open? I may look at those again also.  I am going to have to take it apart again for about the eighth time:)(. Any suggestions tricks on these carbs? Or thinbks I shoulkd look for, like maybe a new carb!

Reagrds,

Chris

#11 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:36 PM

Still cant get this engine to run good. Is there a good way to check that the governor is set in the right location? I dont have a repair manual for this engine, which I know is a disadvantage!

I did take the welsh plug out of the side of the carb and made sure the 3 tiny holes were openand the hole that goes done to the idle jet.

Regards,

Chris

#12 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 991 Thanks
  • 674 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 08:22 PM

Carburetors are all the same when it comes to rebuilding them. Disassemble remove packing and rubber, let soak overnight, apply new rubber and or packings, reassemble and set to factory specs. Make sure you blow out all orifices with carb cleaner and shop air from your compressor. Sometimes issues like yours come from air leaks from under gaskets like the gasket on your intake manifold, it will run fine until you apply throttle then die out because air leaking in, distorts the fuel air mix! You should check and see if your manuals are in this sites manuals section as you can have three free a day to download. If not check the web, your manual should help you a lot and offer specific settings to your make and model. Good luck and feel free to message if you have any questions, I have recently rebuilt five or six carbs so it's fresh in my mind! Have fun. Eric.

#13 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 09:36 PM

Eric,

Thanks a lot! I may need your experience. After I posted last I want and played with the govonor linkage and the fast idle screw. it seemed to help a little. Still seems to idel to high.

I did look at the manuals on here and need get off my duff and download some of them too. I know that it does help a lot. I also picked up a couple gallons of high test 97 gas to try that.

Not sure when i will get back to it. I have several things to work on in the next few days.

I did get the new seat, it will be installed to allow me to moive the tractor around easier.

Regards,

Chris

#14 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Folks,

Took the carb off again and will go through it again. At least need a new gasket holding the bowl on since that is leaking. Might be the small rubber seal on the needle too?  Plan to take it to local shop to let them take a look at it.

I am looking for a better grill and maybe a hood too if any one has one, P.M. me please.

Regards,

Chris

#15 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 991 Thanks
  • 674 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 07:29 PM

Rebuilding your carb should be fairly easy, you should give it a go. We are here to help you get through it and I am sure you can do this. Buy a kit and let the carb sit in some solvent over night then use shop air to blow the carb orifices clean, make sure all pathways are clear! Sometimes you will have to do this twice I know it has happened to me. Replace all the gaskets and or rubber and put it back together, make sure everything is tight and sealed and give it a go. Let us know how it goes! Eric.
  • limebuzz said thank you