• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 04:56 PM

My Nikon S3300 has bit the dust. The screen is all screwed up and there is no view finder. So I won't have pics for a while!

• HDWildBill, propane1 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 05:15 PM

I watched a young person the other day. She fumbled her Smart Phone and dropped it on the gravel. You should have seen her face. I knew before I saw it; yup, the screen was shattered. Why is that? I can drop my glasses on the gravel and they might have a pit. As expensive as cameras and cellphones are, wouldn't you thing they would be better made? There was a guy at a festival selling new screens installed for $2. For $2.50 more you could get tempered glass.

• Alc, KennyP, Dieselcubmike and 2 others have said thanks

#3 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 05:18 PM

Can you use your phone to take pictures? I know on most phones the quality is not as good a a real camera, but better than nothing. I actually take most of my pictures for this sight on my phone as I have a waterproof, shockproof camera that I use on hunting and fishing trips and I don't want it smelling like gas, oil and PB blaster. LOL.

Jim

• KennyP, oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 05:52 PM

Can you use your phone to take pictures? I know on most phones the quality is not as good a a real camera, but better than nothing. I actually take most of my pictures for this sight on my phone as I have a waterproof, shockproof camera that I use on hunting and fishing trips and I don't want it smelling like gas, oil and PB blaster. LOL.

Jim

I refuse to use that stupid phone! I'll go back to my old camera before I lower myself to using that thing!

• Cvans, MFDAC, Bmerf and 5 others have said thanks

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 06:46 PM

I fixed a few cameras for family members with Ebay parts.It's not too difficult once you figure out how to get them apart without breaking stuff :rolling:

I like the Nikon Coolpix cameras.There small and take good pics and Decent video.

My Kodak is a pain in the butt to get it to focus on small stuff.I used it for Just garden tractor stuff.Always take Pics before you take stuff apart unless you've done it 1,000 times lol.

Same camera $35 used on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/...FgAAOSwl9BWHYvh

Or Replacement Screen for $17

http://www.ebay.com/...3iyykAptFMIManw

Edited by EricFromPa, October 20, 2015 - 06:50 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,293 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 06:57 PM

We were lucky enough to get a nice camera for below cost. It was a business closing up and they were ordering at discount for friends and family.
Is a Cannon Rebel T5i and it takes WONDERFUL pictures. It does have one weirdity, it wants the flash a lot more than it should IMHO, but that's the only thing I have found that I'd change.
  • KennyP said thank you

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 07:36 PM

I refuse to use that stupid phone! I'll go back to my old camera before I lower myself to using that thing!

I agree 100%  I still say phones were made to talk on.  If you want to take a picture - GET A CAMERA ! !

We were lucky enough to get a nice camera for below cost. It was a business closing up and they were ordering at discount for friends and family.
Is a Cannon Rebel T5i and it takes WONDERFUL pictures. It does have one weirdity, it wants the flash a lot more than it should IMHO, but that's the only thing I have found that I'd change.

We use a Fuji Film Fine Pix 210 for all our quick shot photos including all of what i post on here.  Great pictures, easy operation and good real close ups.

MH81 you will love the Rebel.  I have had mine for a couple years now.  To stop the flash, turn the knob with all the symbols on it on the top right next to the flash to the 'P'.  That will stop the flash from firing.  You will find that flash will carry a long way.  The photo below was taken at dusk from about 50' with that engine moving about 30 mph.  It was the DP unit on the back running backward going through under a wood trestle.

IMG_2380.JPG

Edited by chieffan, October 20, 2015 - 07:37 PM.

• MH81, KennyP, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#8 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 09:36 PM

I have had phones like that. The one I have right now though is pretty easy to deal with. I plug it into the computer to charge it and a window pops up with a few options including allowing me to import my latest pictures onto the computer. It puts them into a folder with "my phone and date" as the header. Btw, I have to say of all the sites I am a member on, this is one of the easiest to download pictures to. I did not even have to ask my wife for help to figure it out.  Did not even utter a single 4 letter word while figuring it out myself.

Thanks, Jim

Edited by CanadianHobbyFarmer, October 20, 2015 - 09:38 PM.

• olcowhand, MH81, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#9 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 12:20 AM

I am hopeless with this technical stuff. Please give me back my little Brownie 110 and real film. I could take some pretty neat close ups with it by Scotch taping a magnifying lens to it and just clicking away. I know,showing my age again, lol.
  • MH81, KennyP, jpackard56 and 4 others have said thanks

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 07:04 AM

If you can find a god working FujiFilm camera it would be well worth your $ to get it.  Mine is auto focus, has s separate setting (one button click) for close up.  By close up I mean with a few inches.  Quick easy down load to your computer.  Uses the standard sim card.  Just a nice little all around camera.  Only drawback is that it does use up batteries fairly fast.  Works a lot better on the special camera batteries.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 07:18 AM

I was really happy with this one and may just get a new screen for it.

#12 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • Member No: 69470
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 07:33 AM

Having a camera phone is super convenient. (My Opinion) I use mine a lot to take pictures of things and send to people I know would be interested in them. I've done this probably a dozen times this year at different auctions and sales. They're just like anything else. You have to know how to use em, and take care of them. 

All of that said, nothing beat a nice quality photo taken from a real camera for pictures you actually care about. 

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 07:40 AM

I have no way to hook the phone I have to the computer. So I would have to send myself an e-mail, then download the pics. Not gonna happen on my watch! Way too much hassle!

#14 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 08:17 AM

Kenny, I got my last point and shoot digital camera on Craigslist.  It's a Canon Elph of some model.  I think I paid $40.00.  You could try there.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 10:20 AM

I have no way to hook the phone I have to the computer. So I would have to send myself an e-mail, then download the pics. Not gonna happen on my watch! Way too much hassle!

Kenny, you can send the photos automatically to Drop box, they will then automatically be sync'ed with your computer (if you have the app installed, Dropbox shows up as a folder in your file manager) then you can just simply leave them there or move them to the folder you want the photos to be in.  Much easier then plugging a cord into the computer and then downloading them.

It seems just like yesterday you got the camera. Time fly's!

• KennyP said thank you