Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 10:15 PM

That water cooled conversion is awesome. Did they hook up a better heater system as well?

There was no heater except a cigarette lighter heater/fan for defrost.  This guy only lived a few blocks from work and said if he lived far enough that it'd actually heat up he'd have installed a regular heater. 

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#17 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 10:21 PM

I wish they would have made a hard top thing. 

Had a 70 VW van. The wife didn't like it. She never got used to setting in front of the front wheels. I on the other hand enjoyed driving it. A friend was a first responder and told me he was glad I got rid of it. Front seat passengers don't stand much of a chance in a head on accident I guess.  :(

There was an aftermarket fiberglass hard top made for the Thing.  Hard to find if you need one but they are out there. 

Kinds ruins the car if you ask me. There was always someone asking me what I do when it rains.  I'd tell them "drive a car with a top - this is just a toy for nice days". I have the top bows but the material was bad when I bought it. In fact,  thats why the previous owner parked it. 

#18 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 11:04 PM

There was an aftermarket fiberglass hard top made for the Thing.  Hard to find if you need one but they are out there. 

Kinds ruins the car if you ask me. There was always someone asking me what I do when it rains.  I'd tell them "drive a car with a top - this is just a toy for nice days". I have the top bows but the material was bad when I bought it. In fact,  thats why the previous owner parked 

Thanks for the information but I don't own one. I did own a type 1,2 & 4. Wish I still had the 4.

#19 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 12:01 AM

I wish they would have made a hard top thing. 
Had a 70 VW van. The wife didn't like it. She never got used to setting in front of the front wheels. I on the other hand enjoyed driving it. A friend was a first responder and told me he was glad I got rid of it. Front seat passengers don't stand much of a chance in a head on accident I guess.  :(

When your first line of defense in a crash is your knees things get messy.
  • Cvans said thank you

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 03:31 PM

There was no heater except a cigarette lighter heater/fan for defrost.  This guy only lived a few blocks from work and said if he lived far enough that it'd actually heat up he'd have installed a regular heater. 

Do they make parts to make a nice conversion?

I've never owned an air cooled vw product.  My dad said my grandfather had a beetle back in the day.  He said you'd almost freeze to death in it on a cold day.

#21 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 06:41 PM

My dad said my grandfather had a beetle back in the day.  He said you'd almost freeze to death in it on a cold day.

Drove one for two winters here in SD. When it was below zero I would drive the twenty miles to work with an ice scrapper in one hand steer and shift with the other hand. Snow flakes from the ice scrapper would be floating around inside the car. 

They did make a gas fired heater for the air cooled VW's . They worked good and our type 4 came with one from the factory. Darn thing would almost melt your socks. So if you a Vee Dubb with an extra exhaust pipe you know it has a gas heater. 

FireBus2.jpg

This is what the heaters looked like. 

Thing_Gas_Heater_1-24-10_aJPG_Thumbnail1

Edited by Cvans, November 08, 2015 - 06:45 PM.

• Gtractor and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#22 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 09:58 AM

Sweet!  Another Vee Dub member!  I had a '71 van from California.  Paint wasn't pretty, but it had no rust.  Sold it years ago.  I have a rail buggy now.  1915cc.  Tons of fun in the summer!

Attached Thumbnails

• 22f1c74edd6d635fc2d127202dde6c84.jpeg
  • d45ec6ceb040943aa7bfe66ce465e93f.jpeg

• Gtractor said thank you

#23 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 10:31 AM

VERY sweet ride!!!!

I had a glass bodied dune buggy but sold it when I got the Thing.

• Billy M said thank you

#24 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 353 Thanks
  • 357 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 11:22 AM

VERY sweet ride!!!!

I had a glass bodied dune buggy but sold it when I got the Thing.

Thanks!  I always told myself if I were to get a buggy, it would be a 4-seater.  This opportunity came along and I couldn't pass it up.  I've always like the Things as well.  You don't see too many of those around anymore.  Well...people actually driving them anyway.