Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,617 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 10:56 AM

Went to the Adrian, MO tractor swap meet last weekend.  Found a few treasures, nothing spectacular but a good time. 

These wheels came in tied on a big gooseneck.  The guy really didn't care to sell them.  He's not even real sure what they are for.   He said the only thing he could find that they'd bolt on was the front wheels of a "C" Farmall.   The lugs are hollow stamped steel - definately not made to support the weight of a tractor.  They also mount spring loaded so they can be flipped back so as to not hit the ground.  In the pic a couple of lugs are folded over sideways.  I don't believe that serves any purpose - just a by product of the 'fold-up" operation.   The second pic shows where I folded one lug back. [to the left of pic]

mud wheels 1.jpg ,mud wheels 2.jpg

I was convinced they were for a garden tractor since they were so light duty.  However, with only 5 spade lugs per wheel that would be a rough to hold onto.   The tractor would shake violently.   I was also convinced they were for Planet Jr. as they have three bolt wheels.  Maybe others do too?  When I got home I measured the bolt pattern on the P.J's and these wheels won't work on them.  Planet Jr's bolt pattern was 5 and 1/4 inch and these wheels have an 8 inch bolt pattern. 

They did have a decent amount of red paint left on them.  He very well could be right and maybe they bolt on the front of a "C" farmall in real muddy conditions to keep the front wheels rolling where they would otherwise ball up with mud, locking them up to where you can't steer. 

Outside ring where lugs mount is 23 and 1/2 inches across.

any input?

• Tbrooks said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 11:49 AM

Sure looks farmallish. The pattern would bolt to the wheel weight holes and the paddles would keep the front tires turning in mucky conditions which would allow steering to happen.
  • Gtractor said thank you

#3 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 02:09 PM

Mud lugs for traction in mud what ever it's for it mounts inside of rim. Folded up higher then tire kinda small might be from old walk behind.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 10:11 PM

There is a pic of a mud wheel in this months Ferguson Furrows