• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 gbru316 OFFLINE  

gbru316
  • Member No: 76435
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 06:53 PM

Tractor must be running when you uncork the fill plug and add oil. I add to bottom of threads so nothing spills when I install plug. How did you fill the filter with oil when it mounts horizontally?

How? I filled it with oil while held vertically, then fitted it to the threads and tightened it was fast as I could to minimize leakage. Thanks for the help. I'm guessing easiest way to do this solo is to unhook the seat safety switch?

You have to lift the back of the tractor about 7' in the air to make the tractor vertical.  Then you can fill the filter with oil and install vertically also.  I think there is a revision in the manual for that procedure!   :D

I've always wondered if it fills the filter when you prime it through the check valve on top of the hydro assembly.  I don't know if it does or not, but have never had a problem changing the fluid & filter per the manual.  I just changed engine and trans oil/filter on my Grand Sierra last week.  That made for an expensive oil change on a garden tractor!

:rolling:

I'd imagine the pint is to fill the filter, but who knows?

• Billy M said thank you

#32 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted February 08, 2016 - 07:46 PM

How? I filled it with oil while held vertically, then fitted it to the threads and tightened it was fast as I could to minimize leakage. Thanks for the help. I'm guessing easiest way to do this solo is to unhook the seat safety switch?

The tractor should stay running in "park" (or in the "neutral" resting position on a Grand Sierra) if you get off the seat. It should kill the engine upon lifting your butt off the seat only while driving or using PTOs if I remember correctly.

#33 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 03:59 AM

The tractor should stay running in "park" (or in the "neutral" resting position on a Grand Sierra) if you get off the seat. It should kill the engine upon lifting your butt off the seat only while driving or using PTOs if I remember correctly.

Correct.

#34 gbru316 OFFLINE  

gbru316
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 10:56 PM

Art, you're correct. Tractor stayed running when in neutral. Thanks!

It's soon time to remove the snowblower and attach the mower deck. Wish I'd have gotten to use the blower more this year.

#35 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted March 07, 2016 - 05:02 AM

It's soon time to remove the snowblower and attach the mower deck. Wish I'd have gotten to use the blower more this year.

You must be a lot younger than I. That one (and hopefully only) blizzard we had was enough for 5 winters. I'm removing chains, weights and blower today. My wife thinks I am crazy but I like to use my mower/TracVac to clean up beds.

#36 gbru316 OFFLINE  

gbru316
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 10:08 PM

Figured I'd take some time to clean up the mower deck. Mainly, remove all of the various yard debris and give the gearbox some love. I ended up getting a tube of original grease from a relative who had it left over from my great uncle's mower shop.

I attempted to remove the gearbox but I'm kind of stuck. I probably need more tools. I can see what needs to be removed, but I'm not sure what to use to do it.  I'd like to pull out the gears and get all the old grease out, give everything a good cleaning, reassemble and fill with new grease.

What's the easiest way to do this, and what tools (including sizes, if applicable, besides standard wrenches and sockets) will I need?

Edited by gbru316, March 10, 2016 - 10:09 PM.

#37 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 04:16 AM

Figured I'd take some time to clean up the mower deck. Mainly, remove all of the various yard debris and give the gearbox some love. I ended up getting a tube of original grease from a relative who had it left over from my great uncle's mower shop.

I attempted to remove the gearbox but I'm kind of stuck. I probably need more tools. I can see what needs to be removed, but I'm not sure what to use to do it.  I'd like to pull out the gears and get all the old grease out, give everything a good cleaning, reassemble and fill with new grease.

What's the easiest way to do this, and what tools (including sizes, if applicable, besides standard wrenches and sockets) will I need?

Do NOT disassemble the gear box unless you are very mechanically inclined. Simultaneously getting the input/output shaft endplay and backlash set properly is not easy.

#38 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,541 Thanks
  • 3,929 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 06:02 AM

For myself, I would just set it upright and wash it out. Without pulling any gears.

#39 gbru316 OFFLINE  

gbru316
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 08:24 AM

Do NOT disassemble the gear box unless you are very mechanically inclined. Simultaneously getting the input/output shaft endplay and backlash set properly is not easy.

For myself, I would just set it upright and wash it out. Without pulling any gears.

I'm a bit of a jack-of-all-trades, but if cleaning can be done without disassembling the gear box I'd prefer to do that since it'd be a lot quicker.

Any particular degreaser? Should I be concerned with grease being washed out of the bearings?

#40 gbru316 OFFLINE  

gbru316
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 12:31 PM

Ended up flushing old grease out with some gas and refilling with Stens. Also sharpened the blades, greased all grease points (some of them were pretty much empty :( ) and mounted it to the tractor. Besides leveling the deck (which I may or may not do, depending on time avalability), I'm ready to go for summer.

• KennyP said thank you

#41 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 03:38 AM

Ended up flushing old grease out with some gas and refilling with Stens. Also sharpened the blades, greased all grease points (some of them were pretty much empty :( ) and mounted it to the tractor. Besides leveling the deck (which I may or may not do, depending on time avalability), I'm ready to go for summer.

Hope your bearings aren't full of gas, especially the lower one on the output shaft.

#42 gbru316 OFFLINE  

gbru316
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 08:30 AM

Hope your bearings aren't full of gas, especially the lower one on the output shaft.

Yeah, it's certainly possible. I tried to avoid it by standing the deck up and just spraying in what was needed. I have a complete spare deck if the bearings fail.