• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 gbru316 OFFLINE  

gbru316
  • Member No: 76435
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 08:12 PM

Over the summer, my wife and I bought my grandparent's house. Along with the house came a GT-18 (931033) that was garage kept since they purchased it in the late 80's. It's in pretty good condition, but could use a tune-up as my grandfather passed away 7 years ago. Along with it came 2 functional mower decks, snowblower, snow plow, tines for tilling, DIY rear weight rack, lawn vacuum, wheel weights, dump trailer, and spreader (for salt, fertilizer, etc). I've been enjoing the hell out of it so far.

I've replaced the ignition switch and harness connector because the previous connector was melted. I replaced the fuel tank pick up tube because it had become brittle due to ethanol and fallen off the nipple (and, consequently, tractor would not run). I have a new fuel tank cap/gauge on the way as the plastic cover had fallen off the original one, and a new lift lever handle because the original is missing. I also rewired the safety switch as my uncle (unfamiliar with the circuit) bypassed it which was causing battery discharge. I'm not terribly familiar with small engines but I'm an electrical engineer by trade and fairly mechanically inclined so I shouldn't have TOO much trouble in restoring this tractor to it's original form.

Other than that, it's in need of routine maintanance. My uncle had been aiding my grandmother with the tractor (that is, doing bare minimum to ensure she could mow the lawn). I know it's recently had an oil change and air filter cleaning, but other than that, not much else has been done. The front PTO will not engage when hot (checking spacing this weekend) and the engine is a little rough at startup (running some seafoam through it this weekend, too).

I'd like to perform the overdue maintenance, but I lack a proper grease gun. I've looked through the manuals and I'm still not sure what size zerk fittings the tractor has (maybe I missed it) and/or what tool I need to accomplish lubrication. Would someone mind providing some guidance?

Thanks!

Edited by gbru316, October 19, 2015 - 08:22 PM.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#2 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,939 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 08:19 PM

A regular grease gun should work. Walmart or Tractor Supply, and others. The end is adjustable on most guns.

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 08:20 PM

Welcome ot the forum. I'm not familiar with Ariens but I'd think the zerks should be standard like any grease gun you would get at the parts store. If you're needing to buy new zerks, just measure the hole size. That and length is all I've ever seen them classified as. The only other option I can think of would be alemite but that is old school.

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 09:17 PM

The most common grease gun is one that uses a 14 oz cartridge:

330502b.jpg

A NLGI #2 grease is a quality multi-purpose grease that will cover any GT-related grease lubrication through a zerk. NLGI is a synthetic or synthetic blend grease, that can withstand pressure, heat to 500°, and has a better than average stability. (meaning it stays together longer)

• KennyP and KC9KAS have said thanks

#5 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 11:21 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#6 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 11:40 PM

Welcome!  Hope to see pictures.

#7 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 11:46 PM

Is it an Ariens brand dump cart from the same era?

#8 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,395 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 11:56 PM

If the grease zerks are frozen, you can remove them and clean them and they should work again.

I have cleaned several and they are still good.

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 12:06 AM

Welcome to GTT. You have an excellant and valuable GT there and the fact that it is an heirloom is just sweeter. The maintenance is not difficult but will take abit of time. It is well worth it to extend the life of a fine machine. We have a Manuals Section  where you can get three free downloads per day. You will need the owners and engine manuals. Manuals for similar tractors may have the info you need if the exact GT manual isn't there. NAPA has many of the parts. Post some pics. Ask questions. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 05:20 AM

Welcome to GTtalk!
That is great that you were able to get your grandparents tractor. Sounds like you have quite the selection of attachments to go with it.

#11 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 913 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 07:03 AM

Welcome That is a fine machine you have. We all like pictures :wave:

#12 gbru316 OFFLINE  

gbru316
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for the help! I'll try to make some time for some pictures in the near future.

Is it an Ariens brand dump cart from the same era?

No, it's an agri-fab trailer circa mid-late 90's.

#13 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 11:22 AM

You are a lucky man!! A couple tips: (1) remove shear bolts on snow thrower and make sure auger spins freely on shaft. Grease well and give her a few spins and (2) don't forget to check grease level in mower deck gear box. Wouldn't hurt to clean out old grease and relube.
  • Alc said thank you

#14 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 05:48 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#15 gbru316 OFFLINE  

gbru316
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 06:16 PM

You are a lucky man!! A couple tips: (1) remove shear bolts on snow thrower and make sure auger spins freely on shaft. Grease well and give her a few spins and (2) don't forget to check grease level in mower deck gear box. Wouldn't hurt to clean out old grease and relube.

Thanks for the tips. I planned on giving the deck a good cleaning and lube job after the mowing season is over. And I'll be sure to check out the snow thrower before putting it into use.

I expect to use the plow for snow clearing most of the time (forgot to mention I have chains as well). My great uncle (grandfather's brother) owned a mower repair shop next to the house I grew up in and often used a New Holland S series tractor (I think, based upon pictures online) to plow our driveway for us during big snows, including blizzards of '93 and '96, so I have no doubt that the GT-18 is up to the task. That uncle is most likely the reason my grandfather bought the GT to begin with.

Edited by gbru316, October 20, 2015 - 06:18 PM.

• Alc and 1964Deere have said thanks