4 replies to this topic

#1 DixieViper OFFLINE  

DixieViper

• Member No: 2725
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 12:45 PM

Good afternoon all,

I am new to the forum. I have owned a 655 John Deere for 11 years now and recently purchased a 318 that was manufactured between 1986 and 1987. The 318 is in great working condition minus the fact that it smokes some and is burning some oil. It runs well and is mechanically sound otherwise. I bought it somewhat as a project so I knew that I was going to have to give it a little TLC regarding the engine.

It currently has a Onan B43G engine on it and I have the opportunity to replace it with a P218. Is this as simple as pulling one engine off and placing the other engine on and reconnecting everything? Will there be compatibility issues reconnecting drive drain parts, engine mounts, oil cooler lines, etc... ? Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. I have an opportunity to replace the B43G with the P218, but before I buy it I want to make sure that it will work and not waste my money.

This is a great forum thus far and has been very helpful to me as a new 318 owner. Appreciate all the good advice out there.

Thanks again

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 02:37 PM

Welome to the forum!
Enjoy the site!

#3 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 05:58 PM

The P218 is a very easy swap as far as I know. The engines are pretty much identical in dimensions, crank height, etc. Should be pretty simple. Both ignitions are 12V powered, so no issues there either. BUT, the 318 has a large size crankshaft output (1 3/8") vs the usual std size of 1 1/8" of Onan cranks used on other makes of GT's, so you may have to get a sleeve adapter for the crank, or a different electric PTO clutch if the crank diameters don't match.

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 06:41 PM

Welcome to GTTalk and enjoy the site.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 07:33 PM

:wave: DixieViper Welcome to GTTalk! Sorry that I can't help with the questions, but if it were me, I'd listen closely to what Dan (Olcowhand) has to say! We hope that you enjoy the forum and it's great that you have already gotten some help from previous posts! We'd love to see some pics of the project if thats possible. If not, that's OK too. Great to have you with us!