7 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 08:08 AM

I had a lot of play in the steering wheel on my 1476.  Found it to be the steering quadrant bushing that was wore and allowing the quadrant to lift and twist.  Took a lot of soaking and a new 15/16" open end wrench to get the bolt out.  I found the bolt used has threads running clear to the head.  The bushing was a two part bushing with bronze on the outside with a steel bushing inside.  The steel bushing had threads wore into it from the years to turning.  When it is put back together I will use a longer bolt without thread to the head so there is no threads inside the bushing.  Will cut it to length and apply plenty of grease  at the wear points so it will last for 50 years and more.  After everything else wears out the steering quadrant will still be tight.

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 10:09 AM

Where's the pics?
  • chieffan said thank you

#3 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 11:21 AM

Thanks Cheiffan.. I know I need new bushings in my 1477...  Was it easy to do.???

• chieffan said thank you

#4 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Getting the bolt out takes time and patience, not the easiest to get to,just enough room to get it out
  • sodisr and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 06:30 PM

Sorry, no pics.  Batt. died in the camera and didn't have any extras on hand.  Like blackjack said, take time and patience.  Can only turn the bolt one flat at a time and it will probably come out tough all the way.  Once you get it most of the way out you can get on the shank with a channel lock and it goes faster then.  After everything is greased up and going back together nothing wants to stay where it is supposed to.  Once I got the quadrant lined up and the bolt lined up I lightly wedged a screwdriver between the tractor frame and the arm out the side.  Once the bolt is started back in it is one flat at a time again.

• blackjackjakexxix and sodisr have said thanks

#6 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 10:02 AM

What I noticed on mine,, when I'm turning, the steering shaft rises up and to the left,, and touches the driveshaft..  you hear and feel a ticking in the wheel .  I'll have to talk to Dr. B and get new bushings..

P. S.   to put new bushings in,,??  How far do you have to tear the Quadrent apart, up and out to replace the brass bushings.???

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#7 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 03:51 PM

Yep,have to pull it clear out
  • sodisr said thank you

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 07:24 PM

That bushing is a steel bushing inside a bronze bushing.  I would strongly suggest to replace the bolt with one that has a should down to the bottom of the quadrant.  You will have to cut it to length.  I think it took a 3" bolt with about 5/8" cut off.  This will get the threads out of the bushing.  Try that first as you may get by with just replacing the bolt.  I pressed mine out and replaced the bronze and used the old steel bushing.  It was the wear on the threads of the bolt that was causing the play, not the bushing.

• LPBolens and sodisr have said thanks