• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 09:14 PM

I like the entrepreneur in your plan, and please don't take offense at my question, but other than profiting from taxpayer money, how do you plan to give back? Our son got a full ride presidential scholarship to college, plus he had access to grants and low cost loans when, and if he had needed them. He worked nearly full time all the way through and kept it to a minimum. Next May he'll be 40, he's used his education to make a real good living, he's also, along with his wife, funded a scholarship to a deserving student, it will be awarded next year. Do you plan somehow to repay or pay forward to help others if your venture is successful? Please don't think I'm picking on you as a perceived liberal, I asked my son the same questions 23 years ago.
As for your idea, I think it has merit and a real chance to succeed with a lot of long days, and months of pre planning.
  • Cvans and BTS have said thanks

#17 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 10:43 PM

I like the entrepreneur in your plan, and please don't take offense at my question, but other than profiting from taxpayer money, how do you plan to give back? Our son got a full ride presidential scholarship to college, plus he had access to grants and low cost loans when, and if he had needed them. He worked nearly full time all the way through and kept it to a minimum. Next May he'll be 40, he's used his education to make a real good living, he's also, along with his wife, funded a scholarship to a deserving student, it will be awarded next year. Do you plan somehow to repay or pay forward to help others if your venture is successful? Please don't think I'm picking on you as a perceived liberal, I asked my son the same questions 23 years ago.
As for your idea, I think it has merit and a real chance to succeed with a lot of long days, and months of pre planning.

I was doing some more looking around and there isn't a whole lot grants, but I will talk to the guy ahead of the FSA office to see what is out there. It looks like it is going to be low Interest loans and starting small. The loans will be paid off as soon as I start making a little money, (I know it's not going to be a huge million dollar operation over night) and I will start paying the loans off when I can. I will be giving back by growing good, healthy, organic, heritage grains. The government program is for starting small family farms and that is exactly what I am doing.
Thanks for asking

#18 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 10:53 PM

I would be happy pulling a 3 bottom plow, I'm sure I could probably a 4 bottom plow with a 55hp with wheel weights and fluid. The disk I have are on the smaller side, one has aprox  14" disk and the other has a 18". I'm not even sure if they are the full 10', I will half to measure them and see.

Thanks for everyone's impute

#19 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 11:17 PM

My first question is how many acres are you going to be farming in the end?  That along with what other work are you using it for would be a starting point to determine what size tractor to look for.

I don't know how much I will be farming in the end, I am starting out with 1 to 2 acres here at the house and I am hoping to do around 20 as soon as I can find the land and get the loans. Hoping after who knows how long, (if this all works out) I will be farming around 100acres. I can plant organic wheat, beans and corn. (soy beans are high dollar for making soy milk) I am planing on buying more tractors as the farm grows and when I can afford them.

I don't need 4 wheel drive, it just means more things to break, I would like a loader to load my dump truck with manure for fertilizer (little kubota can't reach) and I would also like forks for moving around straw bales. I would also like to be able to rake and use a old small round baler for straw for the garden. My neighbor has a old MH 55 (50hp) and he put up tons of hay with it, so I would think around a 45 to 55hp LS would do just fine.

I'm not looking at breaking speed records, I like taking it slow anyway so I don't damage the machinery.

Thanks

• olcowhand said thank you

#20 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,506 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 06:23 AM

I think it's a great idea and I hope you follow through! :thumbs:

• BTS said thank you

#21 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 05:23 PM

I don't know how much I will be farming in the end, I am starting out with 1 to 2 acres here at the house and I am hoping to do around 20 as soon as I can find the land and get the loans. Hoping after who knows how long, (if this all works out) I will be farming around 100acres. I can plant organic wheat, beans and corn. (soy beans are high dollar for making soy milk) I am planing on buying more tractors as the farm grows and when I can afford them.

I don't need 4 wheel drive, it just means more things to break, I would like a loader to load my dump truck with manure for fertilizer (little kubota can't reach) and I would also like forks for moving around straw bales. I would also like to be able to rake and use a old small round baler for straw for the garden. My neighbor has a old MH 55 (50hp) and he put up tons of hay with it, so I would think around a 45 to 55hp LS would do just fine.

I'm not looking at breaking speed records, I like taking it slow anyway so I don't damage the machinery.

Thanks

One thing I would keep in mind is that a 50 hp tractor from the 40's-60's has a LOT more iron in it than a new tractor does.  It takes a weighty tractor to put that power to the ground.  50hp is capable of 4 bottoms, but it WILL be slow going.  I wouldn't pull a 4 bottom with anything less than 75hp and nothing less than 60hp for a 3 bottom.

• BTS said thank you

#22 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 11:01 PM

OK, the dealer emailed me back today, looks like if I would buy a tractor it would be LS not TYM, the LS runs around $2,500 cheaper. He said he can only get 4wd and with a cab, loader, 4X4, 55hp will be $30,000. Which the Kubota I was looking at was 50hp, 2WD, no cab, no loader and they wanted around $35,000. So the LS does sound like a better deal. But it is a lot of money right now.

#23 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 11:04 PM

Here is the email he sent me

I have pricing on both companies and we price all our tractors with a loader ( because of the free loader companies offer with their tractors, but I will get you some tractor pricing without a loader on a followup email also if you move the loader from tractor to tractor you would need the loader sub-frame I would think ), also we include a rear weight in the rear tires of our tractors called rimguard, non-corrosive, biodegradeable, non-toxice, 1 gallon almost eleven pounds of weight ( check out their website   rimguard.biz   for more details)

I cannot do you any good as far as 2WD, ours have it so you can move in and out of 2WD and 4WD.
pricing is tractor, loader, rimguard in ad tires ( lstractorusa.com  &  tym-tractors.com )
TYM Tractors -
Rimguard in each rear tire 502.9 lbs with total rear weight of 1006 lbs
T454CAB - synchro - $30,500.00
T554CAB - synchro - $32,000.00
LS Tractors - 
Rimguard in each rear tire 406 lbs with total rear weight of 813 lbs
XR4046C - synchro - $28,000.00
XR4145C - synchro - $28,000.00
XR4150C - synchro - $29,200.00
XR4155C - synchro - $30,200.00
A  couple of things:
There has not been any under 100hp tractor made in the United States since the early 70's and John Deere has on of the largest Manufacturing plants in China.  The only way to know where your tractor is made and who is making it is to find the nomenclature paper where all the serial numbers are located. Other tractor companies have been having TYM and LS make tractors for them and continue today.  TYM makes the Mahindra 10 series tractor and loader. LS makes the New Holland workmaster and boomer series, along with the Case farmall b tractor, but not the loader.  It has been in just the last 10 years TYM has been under their own name and the last 7 years LS has been under their own name.  LS is part of the LG Corporation lifes good phone, frigs, computers, and tvs.  These two companies started the 5 year warranty ( 2 year bumper to bumper with an additional 3 years on the powertrain) they made the rest of the industry follow suit.
When you buy direct from an LS or TYM dealer you get more features for less money, which means they come standard on the tractor.
We have been handling TYM longer than we have LS we like both companies , biggest difference, is one is red and one is blue, the red one has a fiberglass hood, the blue one has a metal hood.
If you would like to test drive please call (), we can meet you almost anytime if you call ahead. Or if you have any questions you can call me, Kay at () and I can anxwer most, but mechanical I leave to Rollin at the ()

Thanks,

Kay at Moundridge Tractor Inc.

#24 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 03:48 PM

There has not been any under 100hp tractor made in the United States since the early 70's and John Deere has on of the largest Manufacturing plants in China.  

That is a line of bull right there.  There were many tractors under 100hp being built in the U.S.A. in the 70's and later.

I am curious what the weight is on these new tractors.

Honestly for that kind of money I would not even consider one of them.  I would get myself a 75-90hp used tractor with a loader and go to work.  The kind of acreage you are talking about will be no problem for a well selected used machine and will last a long time to come.  Heck just a quick search on tractorhouse turned up some REAL nice units in your own state.  I was told a long time ago.  "A big tractor can do small jobs but a small tractor can't do big jobs."

We just gave up the farming a year ago and our big tractor (a CaseIH 7120) was 23 years old and as reliable as the sun.  Our next newest tractor (which we kept for mowing and other jobs) a 766 International is 42 years old and still going strong.  As long as the mechanicals are in good shape and kept after there is little else to go wrong on the older ones unlike all the electrical and emission on the new ones.

I hope I am not sounding rude here, but I'm just not a big fan of all the nonsense going on with these new tractors.  I know of many others in the farming community that have the same feelings.  

• BTS and dodge trucker have said thanks

#25 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 12:34 PM

I am curious what the weight is on these new tractors.

The 55hp tractor with out cab, loader and ballast. Weighs in at 4400lbs. Another LS tractor that I am looking at is still 55hp but it is a heavier tractor and it weighs 5400lbs

Edited by BTS, October 22, 2015 - 12:37 PM.

#26 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Naaaa , I will take a new Tractor over an older one any time, unless forced to run with an open operator platform.... ( of which I have absolutely no inclination towards doing!)
Newer is in most cases more efficient, better traction pound for pound, and has much better ergonomics and visibility. And on top of that, it is more likely to have parts available, and not be obsolete.
But hey, too each his own, everyone marches to different drums. And i personally wont hold it against any one.
  • BTS said thank you

#27 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 23, 2015 - 10:38 PM

Naaaa , I will take a new Tractor over an older one any time, unless forced to run with an open operator platform.... ( of which I have absolutely no inclination towards doing!)
Newer is in most cases more efficient, better traction pound for pound, and has much better ergonomics and visibility. And on top of that, it is more likely to have parts available, and not be obsolete.
But hey, too each his own, everyone marches to different drums. And i personally wont hold it against any one.

:ditto: Couldn't of said it better.

I think a newer tractor is worth it for the fuel economy,

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 24, 2015 - 08:43 AM

If based strictly on fuel economy, cost between an older tractor & new.... it will never pencil out to savings.  One of my neighbors bought a brand new John Deere of the same HP of his 30 year old Massey.  The JD burns more fuel than his older tractor.  He sure isn't happy about that!  My biggest gripe with new is all the plastic.  Plus the fact of all the computers on board. I can repair all my tractors myself as they have no computers or fancy electronics.  But if you can afford new, then you will enjoy it.

• IHCubGuy, BTS and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#29 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted October 24, 2015 - 10:22 AM

This new stuff with expensive emission controls. Filters. Ect. Forget it.

I know on diesel trucks with these new emissions one small sensor dies and you are done truck won't run.
  • IHCubGuy and BTS have said thanks

#30 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted October 24, 2015 - 08:30 PM

If based strictly on fuel economy, cost between an older tractor & new.... it will never pencil out to savings.  One of my neighbors bought a brand new John Deere of the same HP of his 30 year old Massey.  The JD burns more fuel than his older tractor.  He sure isn't happy about that!  My biggest gripe with new is all the plastic.  Plus the fact of all the computers on board. I can repair all my tractors myself as they have no computers or fancy electronics.  But if you can afford new, then you will enjoy it.

Just like Daniel said above.  For an example the tractor we replaced at the township this spring was a 1984 Ford with a 4.4 liter diesel.  It would burn 4-5 gallon in an 8 hr day running our flail mower.  The new John Deere with a 4.5 liter engine burns over 9 gallons in an 8 hr day running the exact same mower.  

• BTS said thank you