#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 08:26 PM

OK, here is the deal, I am looking into getting government grants and loans for small farms. We have always wanted to grow old varieties of wheat for flour. We grind our own flour (have for 15 years) and the good old kinds of wheat are either impossible to find or they want a couple hundred dollars for 50lbs. We always talked about doing this, but never had the land (only have 3 acres) but now with the low cost loans and grants from the government, it makes all of this possible. I know it is just not, throw some seed down, let it grow and make $$$.

There is a lot that will go into it, but I think we can make it workout.

To the tractor buying, I went and looked at Kubota. WOW what a disappointment  :(. Their tractors cost a fortune (about the price of a deere) and the loaders don't lift much. You half to buy the warranty which is $1700 for 3 years (OUCH)  :wallbanging:.

So I got to looking at TYM, I started liking the looks of them and they seem to get good reviews. I know they also make Mahindra, which I have never liked, I heard some bad reviews about them and I always wanted to avoid them for that reason. I then found out that the same TYM dealer (only 25 miles away) also sells LS which is the same as New Holland. They look nice, they have a 5 year warranty (that is free), loader lifts 2900lbs (kubota lifts only 1300lbs), 3pt lifts 3500lbs.

I'm looking into getting a 45 to 50 hp (or maybe smaller ???) , 2wd with loader and cab.

I just need something to pull a 10' disk and a seed drill.

I am not going to be buying anything for about a year (maybe less?), I need to see how the loans/grants take to get, then find some land close by.

Nothing is set in stone, still trying to figure all of this out.

Anyone have any experience with LS or TYM, what are your thoughts, I won't be able to afford anything else.

I have thought about buying used, but I would like something with a cab and I am tired of working on tractors so I can use them.

If I need to, I can buy a older used tractor and then upgrade to a LS or TYM in a couple years.

• wvbuzzmaster and Traill95 have said thanks

#2 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 08:56 PM

With a new venture like that, I would try to keep my costs a low as possible in the beginning. You will be around 6 months from when you start working the soil till you can harvest and sell your crop. In that time, you will make 6 payments on whatever equipment you buy, with no income to offset the expense. I would buy a good used one if I were in your position, no cab, no loader, you don't need them  for tilling and planting wheat. They are nice to have, but you already have a tractor with a loader and it will soon have a cab (I have been watching that thread). My advice is to buy used but decent equipment until you are sure this will work out. When things are going good and you are making a profit, then think about upgrading.

Just my two cents, Jim

• JD DANNELS, boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 09:21 PM

Can not say much about the LS. The nearest dealer is about 80 miles away. I have looked at them on the net and liked what I saw.
But know no one who has used them.
One thing that has me wondering, is that they look remarkably like the New Holland tractors.
I wonder if they build New Holland? There are a lot of New Holland tractors in the area.

As for buying new, there are a lot of ways to look at it. And a good tax lawyer might be your best investment?
Could be that a lease would be wise if you can write off most of the expense?
that would more than likely take care of most maintainence.
I assume your thinking of buying or renting some more land?
How many acres would it take to make these heritage varieties profitable.
Am I right in assuming you will have to write up a business proposal, laying out your plans and profit and loss/expenses, marketing opportunities and markets?

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 18, 2015 - 09:29 PM.

• BTS said thank you

#4 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 09:38 PM

Can not say much about the LS. The nearest dealer is about 80 miles away. I have looked at them on the net and liked what I saw.
One thing that has me wondering, is that they look remarkably like the New Holland tractors.
I wonder if they build New Holland? There are a lot of New Holland tractors in the area.

As for buying new, there are a lot of ways to look at it. And a good tax lawyer might be your best investment?
Am I right in assuming you will have to write up a business proposal, laying out your plans and profit and loss/expenses, marketing opportunities and markets?

They are the same as New Holland, they say the parts off of a LS will fit a NH

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 09:50 PM

They are the same as New Holland, they say the parts off of a LS will fit a NH

ok one of my neighbors has a 100 hp class 4 wd New Holland that looks like a nice machine.
  • BTS said thank you

#6 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 09:50 PM

I am going to go talk to the guy ahead of the FSA office, I'm already dealing with him on a grant for a high tunnel (greenhouse), the high tunnel is already through, I'm just waiting for it to be delivered. I will be talking to him in a few weeks, I will see what he has to say about the small farmer loans and ect.

I would like buy around 20 acres, the wheat sells between $7lb to $11lb pending on the type wheat it is.

I don't half to pay anything on the government loan for 7 years, that should be plenty of time to get it sorted out and paid off.

Edited by BTS, October 18, 2015 - 09:53 PM.

#7 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 10:04 PM

Ok, I was wrong on the pricing, those prices are for the new wheat not the old fashion wheat. The old wheat sells for around $12.50 per pound :(

#8 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 10:23 PM

With a new venture like that, I would try to keep my costs a low as possible in the beginning. You will be around 6 months from when you start working the soil till you can harvest and sell your crop. In that time, you will make 6 payments on whatever equipment you buy, with no income to offset the expense. I would buy a good used one if I were in your position, no cab, no loader, you don't need them  for tilling and planting wheat. They are nice to have, but you already have a tractor with a loader and it will soon have a cab (I have been watching that thread). My advice is to buy used but decent equipment until you are sure this will work out. When things are going good and you are making a profit, then think about upgrading.

Just my two cents, Jim

I was thinking the same thing about using a old tractor for the first year or two, but the government loans for the small farmers don't have payments for 7 years. I was thinking that, that would give me enough time to get a couple crops in and starting paying everything off (supposedly).

We are also going to plant 1 acre (here on our 3 acre farm) of Chufa (tiger nuts) and we will start expanding on them when we get more land. Chufa sells for around $10 to $20 per pound. I am hoping between the old wheat, Chufa and later on maybe some old corn.

I have been doing tons of research and I am still doing research. I want to know everything before I head into this

Edited by BTS, October 18, 2015 - 10:34 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#9 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 05:10 AM

From my research on old wheat, the best and healthiest is a deep root kind, these types use up a ton of nutrients each year, and require deep plowing to loosen the soil for new growth? So 50hp may not be enough??
LS is also on my radar, going to look at a 90hp unit sometime this week. ;-)
  • BTS said thank you

#10 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 08:19 AM

From my research on old wheat, the best and healthiest is a deep root kind, these types use up a ton of nutrients each year, and require deep plowing to loosen the soil for new growth? So 50hp may not be enough??
LS is also on my radar, going to look at a 90hp unit sometime this week. ;-)

I was doing some looking around and a 45 to 50 hp tractor can pull a 4 to 5 bottom plow, I already have a couple 10' disk, they are old but work just fine.

Let me know how the LS tractors look :thumbs:

#11 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 10:37 AM

I will, the sales guy seemed real nice and knowledgeable , told me about LS. They have been building NH and Case stuff for 35 years.
  • BTS said thank you

#12 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 10:50 AM

I'm sure your soil is different than around here, but 40-50HP would be for a 3 bottom here. 80 or better for 4 and 5 bottom. I find the 80+ makes safer and easier round baling as well, but we are in "rolling hills" as well as different soil. Just 2 cents.

I like the solid used tractors to start with as well. Some of this new electronic diesel on farm equipment is just more stuff to break and limit what it will do without constant maintenance. Again just my 2 cents.

Like the idea of the heritage seed type crops and expect that could be a very profitable niche market, grass feed beef is working out for us.

Good luck on your research and endeavor.

• BTS said thank you

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 11:10 AM

You'd never turn soil with 50hp and a 4 or 5 bottom here.  45 to 50 horses would call for a 2-16 here, or if you were lucky, a 3-14.  We pull 5-14 with 110 horses.  A 10' disc would be a heck of a hard pull for just 50 ponies too, unless you don't let her really cut deep.

• BTS said thank you

#14 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 11:17 AM

You'd never turn soil with 50hp and a 4 or 5 bottom here.  

This little guy can pull 4  :rolling:  :rolling:

20150920_143008.jpg

• jpackard56 and BTS have said thanks

#15 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 03:11 PM

My first question is how many acres are you going to be farming in the end?  That along with what other work are you using it for would be a starting point to determine what size tractor to look for.

I like the solid used tractors to start with as well. Some of this new electronic diesel on farm equipment is just more stuff to break and limit what it will do without constant maintenance. Again just my 2 cents.

This si an EXCELLENT point!  There is so much emission garbage and electronics on these new tractors I don't know if I'd consider one anymore or not.  Just had injector work done on our backhoe at work today and the tech told us that the 1 hr job on ours is more like a 4-5 hour job on the new ones.  There is so much emission stuff to yank out of the way first before you can even get to the engine to perform the work.

You'd never turn soil with 50hp and a 4 or 5 bottom here.  45 to 50 horses would call for a 2-16 here, or if you were lucky, a 3-14.  We pull 5-14 with 110 horses.  A 10' disc would be a heck of a hard pull for just 50 ponies too, unless you don't let her really cut deep.

I agree with you on the plows for sure Daniel.  On the disk though it is gonna depend a lot on the type of disk and the soil.  We pulled an IH 370 10ft disk and a 12ft Case spring tooth drag harrow together behind our Farmall M for years with no problem at all.  Tractor would yank em along in 4th gear with disk wheels off the ground and the harrow set in all the way.  Tractor dyno's at 49 HP.  Same tractor had it's hand's full with a set of JD 55H 3-16 plows in 3rd gear.

• BTS said thank you