6 replies to this topic

#1 gardentractornut ONLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 08:05 PM

Today I had some weird problems on my 1254. The first thing that happened was a squealing noise when I pressed the clutch. The other was that it took a crazy amount of time to shift into first gear from stop. I had to grind it to shift. I sat there for at least 10 seconds and waited for it to stop spinning, but when I tried to shift again it ground bad. If I tried to downshift from second to first it wouldn't grind, as I have kinda mastered doing it. But only into first gear. Does this mean that my clutch is going bad?

#2 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 08:38 PM

I think if the clutch disc or plate were going you would experience slipping not a failure to disengage. My 1054 had sat unused for a few years before I bought it and had a lot of minor issues that I had to sort out (and a few I am still sorting out). One of the issues I had was the needle bearings in the sheave that drives the clutch assembly stuck. The grease that was in there dried up, jammed the needles and would not let the sheave freewheel on the shaft when the clutch pedal was pushed in. I disassembled it, managed to get the bearings loose, hosed it all out with penetrating oil to clean out the old grease etc, then soaked it down with brake cleaner to flush out the last of the penetrating oil, then greased it up, re-assembled and it works good now. Try putting it in gear, push in the clutch and try to start it. Mine was rolling forward as if the pedal was not pushed in. 

Jim

• Gtractor said thank you

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 08:51 PM

Clutch isn't going bad, it just needs some lubrication. 

If you don't fix the problem pretty quick your transmission will go bad from all the grinding.

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 09:27 PM

I would try adjusting the clutch first.  I had a 1053 that was used fairly regularly before i sold it.  Never had a problem  The day I sold it, when I tried so show how good it was it would not go into any gear with a grind.  A few flats on the adjusting nuts on the clutch rod took care of it.  Like Gtractor said, fix it NOW or you will grind up that transmission.

#5 gardentractornut ONLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 10:10 PM

I know it's bad for it, and the 3-gear cluster already had some wear on it before I started using it. That's what's going bad when I grind, right?

How do I adjust the clutch? Another question, is there a brake for the clutch so that when I press the clutch, it stops the rotation? Not the brake when I press it all the way, but just a little.

#6 CanadianHobbyFarmer ONLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 10:48 PM

There is a brake disc on the back side of the clutch assembly that should stop the shaft rotation when you push the pedal down.  There is an adjustment for this, a slotted bracket  on the frame near the pedal. There are details on this in the manual, it is hard to describe without pictures and it is too dark to take pics here tonight. You should be able to see if the flywheel comes back and hits the brake disk, if not, loosen the bolts and move the brake forward till it does. It is also possible that the brake disk is worn out and has no friction material left on it. In that case you will need to replace it. You can check this stuff without actually taking anything apart, so start here, but I am still guessing the needle bearings are your problem. They really aren't that hard to deal with either.

Jim

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 07:59 AM

I would guess you need a brake plate adjustment, that is the very last plate backed with springs