• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 06:18 PM

That gasket has been blown for a while by the looks of it.

You may end up with a much better running engine than when you bought it.

Other than being stubborn to start at times it actually ran quite well, way more power than my stamped steel throw-away mower with a 12hp Briggs in it. I can't wait to run it with proper compression.

Jim

#17 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 06:25 PM

I was pulling a 3000lbs trailer with my 800 and a blown head gasket with no issue. Didn't even know it was blown at the time. When I did replace the gasket I had to readjust the carb settings and it idled much better, had much more power also.
  • CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#18 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted October 20, 2015 - 09:16 PM

Did your 800 get any quieter after the head gasket change? That is the one complaint I have about my 1054, it is a bit on the loud side. I am hoping that that was at least in part from the gasses bypassing the muffler.

Jim

#19 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • Member No: 10251
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 12:01 AM

I found out the easy way how much a difference makes that I had a blown head gasket on my 1050.  It was a new to me GT and it seemed to work just fine, but there was an oil leak.  As far as I know it is all original, one owner after the son inherited it.  I asked a few questions on here, and a new head gasket was recommended.  I did the same thing, cleaned out the carbon, and it was like a new engine was installed.  I am still trying to get the carb adjusted properly so that it idles correctly just after starting it, but keeping the RPM high works after start up.  After it gets good and warm it idles fine, and runs like a champ.  Clean up the carbon buildup, add a new head gasket.  Made a world of difference for me.

#20 Chubien ONLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 06:20 AM

Did your 800 get any quieter after the head gasket change? That is the one complaint I have about my 1054, it is a bit on the loud side. I am hoping that that was at least in part from the gasses bypassing the muffler.

Jim

That's one complaint about these older tractors, they are quit loud. Head gasket did not improved that unfortunately.
That's why I keep mowing the lawn with my 2013 ariens ride on for now, feels like a Cadillac compared to the Bolens I have.

#21 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 06:45 PM

My 1054 does a much better job on my lawn than my old machine and I can cut faster as well, so I will put up with the noise, or get ear muffs. I bought a new 2014 Ariens walk behind snow blower last year to replace a 6 year old Crappy Tire blower that was done. (sheetmetal rusting out, frame flexing badly where the drive section meets the front section and finally the side blew out of the gearbox for the augers). I was actually at a small engine shop looking for parts for the old one and ended up with the Ariens. I was very impressed with how well built it is compared to the box store junk and am very impressed with how well it works as well. I did not really look at the tractors he was selling, but if they are built as well as the blowers, it would likely be my choice for mowing as well if I had one.

Jim