• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 11:39 AM

We get a fair amount of snow here In So my So Alberta at time.  I have a JD425 with fluid in the tires and wheel weights works pretty well for the most part.  Of course something better and faster would be nice.  I have a large driveway with a incline and I do the nieghbours driveway.  Takes me about 2 hours.  At times I have trouble with the incline in my yard, with the 425.

So of course I have looking at 4x4 GT dreaming.  Then I got looking around at my parts machines thinking maybe an articulated home built GT would be the answer.  Some on this sight are supper cool.  Then the rear axle of my parts all Wheel Steer 425 caught my eye.  I have a 455 with worn out front axle. 

So my idea is take the read steering axle and mate it to the front of the 455.  Run a drive shaft and pulleys from the shaft at the front of the engine to drive the front axle.  

The 455 have 3 point hitch rear PTO.  Would extend the frame far enough I could still mount mower deck under neath, and have a 3rd PTO out the front from the front axle.  Of course front mount for snow blade etc.  It would have 4 hydraulic outlets.

Be few weeks before I start this project.  Couple of other things to finish and clean my shop. I'll send photos and up dates when I get going.

• Gtractor and Chopperhed have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 12:20 PM

You're Crazy!  There, been said!  That rear turning axle doesn't really move much does it?? Might need the 40 Acres to turn it around as is said?  Also, diff gear ratios from one tractor to another will be fighting each other if not the same. Tire sizes affect that also. THINK maybe a BIGGER tractor, say a full-size farm tractor might be the right way to go?  Loader on it?  Use GT's till it gets to big snow, then break out the loader farm tractor, problem solved!

• Gtractor and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 03:43 PM

Too bad we aren't closer..I have a 4x4 axle on an old Kubota that I bet would work great!

#4 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 04:15 PM

You're Crazy!  There, been said!  That rear turning axle doesn't really move much does it?? Might need the 40 Acres to turn it around as is said?  Also, diff gear ratios from one tractor to another will be fighting each other if not the same. Tire sizes affect that also. THINK maybe a BIGGER tractor, say a full-size farm tractor might be the right way to go?  Loader on it?  Use GT's till it gets to big snow, then break out the loader farm tractor, problem solved!

I will have to check gear ratios.  thats a good point. The JD 425 and JD455 use the same axle / hydraulic drive, I think they would be the same gear ratio.  The steering on the rear axle in a all wheel steer is controlled by linkage and tires will move / turn lot sharper than what the linkage will allow.  So set up on the front with hydraulic cylinder and custom linkage should turn enough.  Both tractors have the same size tires.  

I don't have enough of driveway to warrant a farm tractor.  Maybe old 8N or 9N.  I think unless front wheel assist I would have the same problem backing up the hill where i push the snow to.  The 425 i use now with wheel weights fluid and tire chain bite pretty good.

I have  bunch of measuring and figuring before I start pulling wrenches and cutting.  I may find a problem that won't let it work.

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 05:43 PM

Sounds like a good project to me. I like figuring out the issues to get something to work.

With a proper articulated setup, the rear steering would be redundant. However, it would allow some original crab steering maneuvers.

however, a rear steer setup, may work well, (solid frame with just rear steer, like a forklift)

Edited by Chopperhed, October 18, 2015 - 05:46 PM.

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 06:25 PM

I'll lurk around here to see where this goes! Sounds very interesting!

• Alberta Bolens said thank you

#7 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 10:16 PM

Sounds like a good project to me. I like figuring out the issues to get something to work.

With a proper articulated setup, the rear steering would be redundant. However, it would allow some original crab steering maneuvers.

however, a rear steer setup, may work well, (solid frame with just rear steer, like a forklift)

I'm thinking solid frame with solid rear axle.  Rear steer axle set up on the front for traditional steering. 

#8 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 08:07 AM

This is going to be interesting to keep a eye on. Have fun and good luck. BTW don't you usually gets a lot of Chinooks in Southern Alberta. Not sure if I read your post right about where your located.

#9 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 09:58 PM

This is going to be interesting to keep a eye on. Have fun and good luck. BTW don't you usually gets a lot of Chinooks in Southern Alberta. Not sure if I read your post right about where your located.

I'm in central Alberta couple hours north of Calgary, a little to far away to get good chinooks.  We do get tail ends of them but snow doesn't melt much.

#10 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted February 01, 2016 - 01:30 AM

I'm putting this on hold for now.  The 455 is bit better unit than I thought and don't want to cut it up.  I am keeping a look out for another rear all wheel steer 425,  445, 455.   Then I could have both front and back axles steering. 

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 01:12 PM

I know you are tabling this, but for future thoughts....

A lot of guys use the Noma/ White  AWS LT's when the convert to 4x4. Find one with the F/N/R rearend and they can easily be convert to match the same speed as the stock rearend and they are smaller so not much lift if any for the stock rearend to make it sit level. I would think an AWS out of a bigger Deere would cause you to have to lift the rear axle a bunch to match that large front axle.

Check out wetheralmaplefarm on youtube

• limebuzz said thank you

#12 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • Member No: 41579
  • 89 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted February 10, 2016 - 06:14 PM

I have 350 lbs hanging off the 3 point on my 425, even with the loader I never loose traction in deep snow or ice or mud. I had AG tires but switched to turfs with chains as they worked better.
4x4 would be nice but I've never needed it, just more stuff to break.

I think that tuff torq says you can put 1850 lbs in that rear axle

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#13 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted February 11, 2016 - 04:29 PM

I have 350 lbs hanging off the 3 point on my 425, even with the loader I never loose traction in deep snow or ice or mud. I had AG tires but switched to turfs with chains as they worked better.
4x4 would be nice but I've never needed it, just more stuff to break.

I think that tuff torq says you can put 1850 lbs in that rear axle

My main tractor is 425 I have fluid in the rears and wheel weights. chained up with blade.  It works really good.  When its iced up frozen hard and my drive way has a slope. I push down to pile the snow.  its hard to back up some times.  

I have the worn out 455 and an extra rear steering axle from a 425 doing nothing.  I see some of the project other guys have done that look kind of cool thought I would try to see what I can do.  I think it will be  anent winter project now.  

• truckintyler said thank you