22 replies to this topic

#16 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 07:29 AM

Just don't use straight hydraulic oil in the trans.  It needs to be Hy/Tran type oil or 30wt motor oil.

In other words your saying that all hydro operated units have to have hy tran or 30 weight?  No separate trans in them, oil is all in one.  Just for clarification.

#17 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 09:08 AM

In other words your saying that all hydro operated units have to have hy tran or 30 weight?  No separate trans in them, oil is all in one.  Just for clarification.

I would not run 30w in a Michigan hydro. Too cold up here for half the year. Stick with atf or universal tractor trans/hydraulic fluid. They are more in the range of a 5w20. Just my opinion.  Paul

Edited by Paulgo, October 22, 2015 - 12:49 PM.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 11:16 AM

30wt is more for warmer climates or heavy duty use.  Straight hydraulic oil doesn't have all the shear strength additives that hyd/trans fluid or motor oil has.  

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#19 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 11:28 AM

30wt is more for warmer climates or heavy duty use.  Straight hydraulic oil doesn't have all the shear strength additives that hyd/trans fluid or motor oil has.  

Thank you for you reply.  That is what I wanted to know.  I have one tractor running that has hydraulic oil in it and it does not get any heavy use.  Pulling a wagon around , etc.  Will be  snow blade unit this winter. 

#20 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted October 22, 2015 - 01:17 PM

Exactly.

#21 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 24, 2015 - 03:22 PM

I would not run 30w in a Michigan hydro. Too cold up here for half the year. Stick with atf or universal tractor trans/hydraulic fluid. They are more in the range of a 5w20. Just my opinion.  Paul

FYI - ATF and UTFs shouldn't be grouped together regarding viscosity.  The vast majority of the universal tractor trans/hydraulic fluids are in the 30W viscosity range while most ATFs are in the 20W range.  There are a few low temp UTFs out there that match ATF viscosity but not many.  They will list the Deere low temp spec J20D as opposed to the normal Deere spec of J20C.

Here are the Deere specs for their two UTFs:  https://jdparts.deer...onHydraulic.htm

The viscosity @ 100*C number determines weight range.

Edited by Canawler, October 24, 2015 - 03:22 PM.

#22 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted October 24, 2015 - 05:41 PM

FYI - ATF and UTFs shouldn't be grouped together regarding viscosity.  The vast majority of the universal tractor trans/hydraulic fluids are in the 30W viscosity range while most ATFs are in the 20W range.  There are a few low temp UTFs out there that match ATF viscosity but not many.  They will list the Deere low temp spec J20D as opposed to the normal Deere spec of J20C.

Here are the Deere specs for their two UTFs:  https://jdparts.deer...onHydraulic.htm

The viscosity @ 100*C number determines weight range.

I don't know about John Deere oil. I use the off the shelf stuff easily available in my area. The vast majority of those UTF's are just barely thick enough to qualify as a 30w. That is why I included them with ATF as "more in the range of a 5w20".  Paul

#23 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 852 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted October 24, 2015 - 06:40 PM

Using Type F automatic transmission fluid with a Napa 1084 filter in my Eaton 12.