• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 oddfirecj5 ONLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • Member No: 11152
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 08:28 AM

i've got a 1979 ht 23. wanting to change the oil and filter in the hydro and if i cannot find the mobil 423 or the texaco that the manual calls for what else could i use?

#2 oddfirecj5 ONLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 08:30 AM

i do know it does not have atf in there

#3 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 08:34 AM

im not sure for bolens but most other brands i have came acroos use the hy guard or hy tran as long as it meets the specs hope this helps you a little

• oddfirecj5 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 08:39 AM

Check with Dr. Bolens. He will know and has the filters. Good Luck, Rick

#5 oddfirecj5 ONLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 08:46 AM

wanting to go into town here this morning and get filters and oil all in one shot. there is a tractor supply nearby so i could go there. today is supposed to be a perfect fall day and that means lots of work for me today to get tractors ready for winter.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 09:09 AM

One of the guys who deals with these tractors alot will have info for you shortly , I dont have any hydro machines so have not bought any oil in a long time for these.

Make sure you get the correct filters, alot of aftermarket ones dont have the right micron ratings, You can still get genuine Bolens or USA made aftermarket ones

• WrenchinOnIt and oddfirecj5 have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 09:43 AM

That manual your looking at is over 30 years old.  Oil has changed tremendously since then.  This is how NORTHLAND OIL rep explained it to me.  A hydro unit is a hydraulic power unit.  It depends on oil pressure applied to a certain part to make it move.  Much like a hydraulic pump operates a cylinder.  Use a good quality Hydraulic oil and you will be good to go.  If Northland Hy Tran is good enough for a $250K tractor transmission and hydraulic system it is sure good enough for our GT's.  That is my opinion and I trust what was told me.  I doubt that a large company like NORTHLAND OIL is going to give out bogus information.  And he didn't tell me that to sell me oil either as he does not sell oil to consumers, only dealers.

• WrenchinOnIt and oddfirecj5 have said thanks

#8 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 10:08 AM

I use the Premium (or Renew) Universal Tractor Fluid from TSC with a napa 1410 filter in mine. Did many hours of research and found that you can use something more expensive if you prefer, but the spec's are the same. Another choice at a higher price is the Mystik JT5

• WrenchinOnIt, backwoods and oddfirecj5 have said thanks

#9 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 10:21 AM

Although Bolens recommended using a hydro filter with no by-pass, if you change the filter regularly that is probably not an issue. That said, I use a hydro filter with no by-pass. The hydro in your HT23 can use the Fram PH2844, the Wix 51410 (NAPA 1410) for 21 micron filtering, or the Wix 57102 (NAPA 7102) for 10 micron filtering. Universal tractor hydraulic fluid works just fine.

#10 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 10:29 AM

Although Bolens recommended using a hydro filter with no by-pass, if you change the filter regularly that is probably not an issue. That said, I use a hydro filter with no by-pass. The hydro in your HT23 can use the Fram PH2844, the Wix 51410 (NAPA 1410) for 21 micron filtering, or the Wix 57102 (NAPA 7102) for 10 micron filtering. Universal tractor hydraulic fluid works just fine.

I wish I had known about the napa 7102 yesterday! I just caught the end of the napa half price sale...  Doh!! 

Paul

• backwoods said thank you

#11 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 11:14 AM

yea the napa gold filter sale is over till next year i messed up an didnt get all my filter on sale even though i work at napa the sale price was better then my price

• Paulgo said thank you

#12 oddfirecj5 ONLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 11:44 AM

well just got back from town with bag of goodies. for the 2389 my hastings book calls out a LF134 for the oil filter, LF142 for the hydro filter. napa is not open on sundays so off to autozone i went. the LF134 crossed over to a fram PH3600, the LF142 crossed over to a fram PH16. from what i've read the PH16 is a 20 micron filter so that should be good till this spring or early summer when i change it again as it has been a while since i've changed the filters. i also bought some universal tractor fluid that said something about hy-guard jd20. i'm going out on a limb here and assume that is just a 20 weight oil? i've not gone out yet but i'm thinking the PH16 might be shorter than the one i have on there now, but like i said it's been a while since i was under there. wish me luck. heading out there now to start draining. 

#13 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 04:30 PM

All of the hydro fluids that are mentioned in the Service Manual are compliant with the JD20C fluid specs, so anything that you can find today that meets or exceeds that spec would be OK to use.

• blackjackjakexxix, oddfirecj5 and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#14 oddfirecj5 ONLINE  

oddfirecj5
  • 72 Thanks
  • 259 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 06:58 PM

got done with working some on the tractors. changed the hydro oil in the ht-23 and the engine oil along with the filters. the engine really needed to be changed. the oil out of the hydro didn't look that bad for being an every week worker on lawn duty and snow duty in the winter. i put 10w30 in there as it will see winter duty maybe this winter. that kohler holds one less quart than my 1971 jeep cj. holy cow.

also worked on the 1886-05 that i did the honda re-power in. only changed the engine oil as i already changed the fluid not that long ago. i was wondering if i should empty out the atf that's in there and replace it with the fluid i just got. wound up buying a 5 gal pail seeing as the manual called out for 2- 1/2 gallons for the hydro in the ht-23. 

next weekend the tractors will get fitted for winter duty as it's not that far away. i also want to say a big thank you to all that responded. this is a really great site for info and good people.

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 07:06 PM

Just don't use straight hydraulic oil in the trans.  It needs to be Hy/Tran type oil or 30wt motor oil.