• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 02:24 AM

I was given a CC 3185 in pretty sad condition on Friday. Its been sitting for more than 10 years outdoors.

The motor turns but feels tight, the trans is oil soaked and I see no sign of fluid on the dip stick. I even stuck a longer stick in the reservoir and it seems to be totally empty.

I stuck a good battery in it and it won't crank, no power anywhere.

Just about ever last wire under the dash is corroded off at the ends.

The fender pan and floor boards are completely rusted through, I can put no weight on the floor boards, there's not much left but the rubber foot pads. The steering cylinder is rusted pretty bad, the chrome shaft is darn near rusted through about 4 inches from the end. All four tires are flat and bald. The entire grill is completely rusty, not through but not far from it. The area where the hood hinges attach to is gone, I can lift the hood and hinges right off the top.

The seat is loose on the pan, that area is also completely rusted away.

The frame itself shows no rust, only the grill and fender pan. The hood top is fine but the hood side panels are rusted through on the bottom and rear edges.

The hour meter reads 252 hours, I'm guessing its rolled over at least once?

The valves for the deck lift appear to be leaking, as is the power steering ram, the chrome rod in the ram is rusted nearly through and its let the fluid leak out now.

I've never seen something in this bad shape, but I find it hard to believe that it got that much use at private nursing home. It was used solely to pull a trash cart and for yard maintenance. The deck is mint, it don't appear to have ever been used.

My first question is do these hydrostat units survive running out of fluid?

And second, what is the life span of the Briggs 18hp V twin? I'm guessing that this one most likely has at least 1200 hours on it.

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 08:41 AM

engine "has at least 1200 hours on it" huh? You say the hour meter shows 1,000 hours less than that. You think it was repowered w/ a used motor or the hour meter was replaced?

#3 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 08:42 AM

Do you have any pics of the GT???

#4 oldiron OFFLINE  

oldiron
  • Member No: 28750
  • 34 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 07:22 PM

engine "has at least 1200 hours on it" huh? You say the hour meter shows 1,000 hours less than that. You think it was repowered w/ a used motor or the hour meter was replaced?

I'm assuming its got at least 1200 hours judging by the condition of the tires, steering linkage, floor mats. The meter most likely rolled over at least once to get into this shape. I did some poking around on it today and it seems there's a ton of play in the driveshaft into the trans. It sort of clunks back and forth inside the trans. Of course that could be from the lack of oil.

I cranked the motor over by hand, it turns but feels 'tight'. The starter won't turn, its completely rusted inside. I'm thinking its a flood victim from one of the storms over the past few years. The frame is the only thing that's not rusted. I also found cracks in the motor plate, which isn't rusty but the bolts holding the motor are all but rusted away. When I opened the hood the grill support came off, I had the hood and hinges in my hands. The steering wheel won't turn, it won't budge, it has power steering but the cylinder rod is almost completely rusted through. None of the electrical wiring is any good, every least wire end is green with corrosion and broken off where ever it was attached. I'm thinking its scrap metal through and through but just have never seen a tractor rust this bad. I've got a half dozen older machines that have never seen a garage and they don't have any rust through, yet this thing is toast.

I don't have pics yet, I dumped it off at my work, I wanted to pressure wash all the pine needles and dirt off it before dragging it into the garage.