• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 08:18 PM

I installed one of these on my Economy Tractor when I first got it and have liked the idea of keeping the battery sealed up and the terminals unexposed. The box is made by Attwood and I bought it from iboats.net.

In order for it to fit, I had to resort to a smaller lawn and garden battery. A regular automotive sized battery box will definitely not fit, FYI. Like I did before, I purchased the largest cranking amp L&G battery that I could find and it spins it over just fine.

I hard mounted it to the tractor vs. the little plastic hold downs these boxes come with. It took some trial and error determining the cable routing in order to get the lid to fit but I think I've got it as good as it's going to get.

IMG_2265_zpskykx5ity.jpg

IMG_2263_zpswgqazajr.jpg
Lawn and Garden batteries are not setup for automotive style battery clamps. Like I did before, I purchased a set of auto style terminals and attached them to the L&G battery so that it would work. I've been running my Economy Tractor with this setup for years now and have had zero issues.

IMG_2297_zpstmfd7eef.jpg
Like I said, there was no way a big automotive style battery box was fitting in there.

IMG_2296_zpswmo7pdmv.jpg
IMG_2294_zpsoomgbamj.jpg

So long, Husky man

So long good buddy, you'll not be forgotten. As I explained earlier, I purchased the "Husky man" headlight decal separately. I still had the original 1886 "Husky dog" decal that came in Sam's kit and my original plan was to sell it. As I was looking it over again, I realized just how much nicer quality it is. You'd have to see the two in person to compare but it made the "Husky man" decal look like a sticker while this one, a heavy laminate. Secondly, I realized the brown matches the grill to a standard that even Mom would be proud. I knew that I couldn't replace this particular decal in the same quality version either as it can't be purchased individually from Sam; so off came Mr. Husky man with a good fight. :-( I may in the future resort back if I can find a nicer quality version of him some place, but for now it just seemed like the right thing to do. Sometimes you almost get the sense that a machine can speak to you and I can't explain it, but after putting it on it just seems to seems to be more complete.

Out of curiosity, which headlight decal do you like better? It won't hurt my feelings either way. I'm just curious to get a second opinion.

IMG_2284_zpstimaeqja.jpg

VS

DSC_4238_zpsnvqvxdie.jpg

I hope you don't mind the other tractor in the pics. I wanted to get some new photos with the new two together.

IMG_2291_zpszrx4xb4v.jpg
IMG_2293_zpsyxw2zjmz.jpg
IMG_2286_zpscpzjslfd.jpg
IMG_2287_zpszpve8daj.jpg
IMG_2283_zps1tc3zrwg.jpg

Edited by Austen, October 17, 2015 - 08:23 PM.

• LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix, Traill95 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 08:30 PM

Very nice machines! :thumbs:

• Austen said thank you

#3 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 08:39 PM

Awesome, your machines are pieces of art!
  • Austen said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,922 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Man over pup, imo.
  • Austen said thank you

#5 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 10:26 PM

Very nice machines!

Thanks!! I'm thankful that I get the opportunity and experience to own them.

Awesome, your machines are pieces of art!

I'm not sure about art as they're working machines, but thanks!

Man over pup, imo.

Hey, thanks for the input! :thumbs:

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 06:13 AM

Nice work and machines. I like the man decal better although, in life, I like dogs better than alot of people. What width is your Earthcavator? Good Luck, Rick
  • Austen said thank you

#7 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 09:24 AM

Dog decal is the one, wood grain is nicer ( and correct) IMO, realizing your 86 is a hybrid, originality doesn't trump owner's preference (IMO). Battery box is nice touch the original K482 with the 30 amp charging system would boil the battery , you see them with the discoloration under the battery down the frame and often the drag link suffered the ill effects of the battery acid as well. Not sure how your newer Kohler does on charging, the Kohler Magnum 20 in my Duratrac boils the battery on charging as well, battery acid on the paint sucks!

Hey 29 Chev's new seat would really set your '86 off, you know.... just saying. Again, your '86 is a beaut !
  • Austen said thank you

#8 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 04:37 PM

Nice work and machines. I like the man decal better although, in life, I like dogs better than alot of people. What width is your Earthcavator? Good Luck, Rick

Haha,

Thanks Rick, that makes sense! :)

The Earthcavator is a 36". Going to get a hydraulic top link for the 3pt. so that it can pivit back and forth too.

Dog decal is the one, wood grain is nicer ( and correct) IMO, realizing your 86 is a hybrid, originality doesn't trump owner's preference (IMO). Battery box is nice touch the original K482 with the 30 amp charging system would boil the battery , you see them with the discoloration under the battery down the frame and often the drag link suffered the ill effects of the battery acid as well. Not sure how your newer Kohler does on charging, the Kohler Magnum 20 in my Duratrac boils the battery on charging as well, battery acid on the paint sucks!

Hey 29 Chev's new seat would really set your '86 off, you know.... just saying. Again, your '86 is a beaut !

Thanks Kevin and for your input! Gotcha, that makes sense about the original charging system. I've always kind of wondered why a lot of these have a section of discolored frame rail resembling something along the lines of an acid spill. That issue has not seemed to be a problem with this engine.

Regarding Stew's seat (29 Chev), you and me both.  :thumbs:  We've actually be discussing some future plans and something will be in the works! He did an standup job for sure.

Edited by Austen, October 18, 2015 - 04:37 PM.