• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Banjo123 OFFLINE  

Banjo123
  • Member No: 74514
  • 17 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 04:03 PM

does anyone on here offer engine rebuilds for old Briggs such as 23ds?

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 04:28 PM

you can probably get the parts from one of a few that are regulars here but a "rebuild service"? can't say that I have seen too many offering that.... where a bouts do you live? The reason I ask that is that we have members all over the US, maybe someone close can offer a hand and help YOU rebuild it?   How do you know that the engine really needs it?  Lots of other things can cause an engine not to run right or even at all.

• Alc said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 04:32 PM

:ditto:

Are you looking for someone to do the rebuild for you or just track down the parts/tools needed for  rebuild?

If your looking for someone to rebuild it for you , with so many members here there may be one close by or you can ship to that will be willing to rebuild it for you

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 05:02 PM

Would think ANY lawnmower shop can do one, not sure costs tho.  Most old Briggs I have had didn't need rebuild as much as good cleaning up, new coil for spark and carb rebuild.  Checking for good wire grounding and components, points included are the first things for spark. These old carbs too always leak and crust up, good cleaning usually does those good. Remove the main jet before tearing carb in half, is a good warning. Parts books and manuals can be downloaded from here and off the Briggs site for free. Epay has tons of parts new and used.  Most auto machine shops can do boring on these, maybe even some bigger lawn shops of really needed. Most everything still available new also from Briggs, even little things.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Banjo123 OFFLINE  

Banjo123
  • 17 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 06:49 PM

I thought parts were NLA for these engines? And I was just curious and would like to have my engine gone through. May not need anything. I did the carb myself. Just as some precautionary measures to make sure everything is as it should be. I live in east tn.

Edited by Banjo123, October 17, 2015 - 06:49 PM.

#6 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 300 Thanks
  • 298 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 08:04 PM

Some parts are NLA but not all. The coil is NLA, as are the .010 and ,.30 pistons. I believe STD and .020 are still available.

• Alc said thank you

#7 Banjo123 OFFLINE  

Banjo123
  • 17 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 10:50 AM

Oh ok cool! Well thanks.