• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Sdhdcouple OFFLINE  

Sdhdcouple
  • Member No: 44143
  • 143 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 02:29 PM

well I have several questions here as I am confused, which is easy to do.

I bought this 918 Argo/Allis with a CH18S v twin Kohler in it.  when I got it they did tell me it might need rebuilt as it would start smoking after it ran for a few minutes.  Well I played with it briefly this summer, tractor sat for a few months I went an turned the key and it fired off.  After a 10 min or so it smoked and then bogged the motor down and had to shut it down.  I took the air cleaner off and noticed the crank case hose ( I believe ) was dumping oil straight into the card.  So I just parked and planned a winter rebuild.  Went and moved the tractor to the front of the shop, tractor smoked some during the move but no oil dumping into the card.  well I was getting ready to start taking it apart but had to wait now for the motor to cool off a bit.  I wait a couple of minutes and touched the one head, (cold) could leave my finger on it forever.  other side I still can't touch.  so I check the plug wire to see it was firing, started motor no fire to that plug.  pulled the plug out looks brand new, not even a dirt mark on this plug (will add picture later).

So here are the few questions I have:

1) If this 2 cylinder is only firing on one side, could the smoke be coming from the raw fuel entering into exhaust and than burning in exhaust?

2) what are the correct plugs for the CH18S?

3) if this right side (when sitting on tractor) is not firing could that cause crank case pressure to be forced in the card thru that hose?

4) I have no current to the plug wire where it would hook onto the spark plug, where or what to look to try to fix.

thanks in advance

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 04:51 PM

Correct plug is kohler 12-132-02 which crosses to a NGK BKR5E  or Champion RC12YC

Firing on one cylinder could cause some smoking but not really heavy smoke

Sounds like there may be a short in the plug wire

• Sdhdcouple said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 08:50 PM

This the engine with the overhead cams run by rubber belts??  Doesn't sound like right ID code tho for that? Not sure what code this is then.  If belt driven cams, those belts do break or come off and cams do Nothing then on one side. Another problem with that engine was the sleeves were very thin in cylinders and held some by only a little metal screw at bottom of sleeve. Once the glue for insert and that screw were lost or broken, then the sleeve would slide down and if enough ran into the cam and/or crank and usually just blew up. Never was a good engine and discontinued in short order. This was about time Kohler was just getting into a V twin design.  Kinda of like the KT17 flat twin, it was an experiment and Failed for most part.

• Sdhdcouple said thank you

#4 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 04:44 AM

I have 7 CH20S engines sitting on the floor that ran fans on chickens waiting for their turn in the processing plant. These are the same engine you have. I would run a leak down test first to see if there is anything that shows up. Valve cover mounted fuel pumps leaking fuel into the crankcase has been the biggest problem with excessive smoking. The diluted oil gets in the muffler and starts smoking when it starts to warm up. I have had several do the same thing. After getting the dilution problem taken care of, they have stopped smoking after a few heat cycles. There are 2 separate coils so that would be the first place to start looking for non spark on one cylinder.
  • Sdhdcouple and Genem have said thanks

#5 Sdhdcouple OFFLINE  

Sdhdcouple
  • 143 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 08:37 AM

is there by chance that there is a manual online for those motors somewhere.  this is the 1st I have ever looked at anything other than a k series motor.

the oil is pretty clean, a little to clean I thought.   

this is all a learning curve for me on these CH motors.  So I thank everyone for the help.

#6 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 08:42 AM

Go to OPE engines or Kohler and there will be full manual for free download.

#7 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 12:28 PM

Those engines run twin coils and they a cdi type magneto coils, so they ground the coil to kill the engine. Check the wire to the coil for a short to ground. Next they are also head gasket eaters until properly repaired. This will cause wicked smoke as they warm up and just get worse. The heads need to be checked for flatness before 're assembly. If more than .005inch needs to be machined, you will need ajustble push rods or rocker arm kit. The reciprocating mass on these are almost bullet proof. The weak spot are the heads on the older models.

Edited by skyrydr2, October 18, 2015 - 12:29 PM.

#8 Sdhdcouple OFFLINE  

Sdhdcouple
  • 143 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 12:13 PM

Well According to partstree Kohler no longer makes the Coil.  Part # 24-584 45s   If I can't find one of those no point going any further.  I just scrap her out if I can't find parts.  Looking for after market ones at the moment.

#9 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 01:23 PM

I thought any from a v twin of the same cc will work, horizon or vertical? Only difference is the timing curve, I would change them out with something newer.

#10 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 01:26 PM

The secret to these Kohler's making power...timing! And valve springs! But the valve springs can'tbe so heavy as they will ruin the cam and lifters ;-)

#11 Sdhdcouple OFFLINE  

Sdhdcouple
  • 143 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 06:35 PM

well pulled the motor so I could get the cover off the back, checked and double checked then checked it one more time.  It has a bad coil.  I get on and get it in and then go form there

#12 Sdhdcouple OFFLINE  

Sdhdcouple
  • 143 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted October 21, 2015 - 12:47 PM

lol, well on to the next problem