• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 03:15 AM

Hello guys just wanted to introduce myself here and share with you my next tractor project/s this winter. These are two different tractors I picked up 3rd one not shown just a parts tractor. I have not ran the numbers or anything just got them home so far and started tearing into one of them.  I am not sure whats good or bad with either of these or even if they are the year/s that the seller said they were as he was unsure. 

I have never turned a wrench on a sears tractor before so this should be fun. So far getting the steering wheel off was the hardest part lets hope it stays that way. I don't expect anything good to come out of the 3 of these (low expectations less chance of a let down) besides having two good ones when I am finally done. 

Been doing some reading and hear the SSI units on these are a common pita the parts tractor supposedly was running till it lost spark. Its ok I have done some research and will get through it.

One is a manual and one is a hydo (the parts tractor is also a hydro) I am starting on the manual first because it appears to be very tight and may need less to get it finished. 

These tractors will be restored and used and I know a lot of you guys may have parts for these so if you do kindly post a message here so that I can contact you when I do in case you have stuff to sell or swap.Also if you know of any good pointers or things to look out for please do tell. 

Thanks John 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20151015_175432.jpg
  • 20151015_175301.jpg

• Alc, sacsr, Traill95 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 04:37 AM

Good old Sears! Like that sickle mower!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 05:19 AM

Think I am going to sell the sickle mower, as cool as it is I will just never use it. was thinking of doing a restore on it and keeping it just for show because of the cool factor, but I just want one of these sears to operate a plow and the other a snow blower and possibly a rear tiller for our gardening.  I'll even be willing to trade with someone old parts for old parts etc. but I had to buy everything the seller would not break it up. 

So as far as implements go for these sears I have two mower decks a plow and a snow blower and this sickle bar mower. I also got a 5 gallon bucket full of metal brackets and arms I have to figure out what they are. 

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 06:17 AM

I'd take that sickle, but, alas, no money & too far!

#5 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 08:01 AM

Welcome.

Those looks to be 68-69 SS12's.

The engine will have a number stamped in oil pan down on the front under flywheel, that will tell you Hp of engine.

I'm with Kenny, I would take that sickle if I was closer.

The SSI modules can be gotten around, can be pricey no matter what, but there are solutions. I have a custom built one on my 16, going ready to build another one on my resto project.

You can click the link in my sig and it will give you details on the various options

• John Arsenault said thank you

#6 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 08:39 AM

Haha I was all ready all over that SSI Info.....thanks for the info I'll make sure to repay the favor to someone if I can help them out along the way. 

I was told 2 are 68's and one is a 67 ....the 67 is the parts tractor I have not taken a picture of so that would make them both 68's if the information I got was accurate. 

I am hoping that between the 3 I can get 1 to run so that I can swap over things to engine 2 to find out whats bad. I know I can test a few things with my meter but I want to be able to test each part and label it good or bad to see what I got and what I will need. 

only thing I am not liking about these sears are when you pull the engine there goes your starter/gen. I made a spot in my garage for testing engines it has a battery fuel cell and ignition switch but can't use it with my sears because the frame is the starter mount. ...I'll rig something up.

• TAHOE said thank you

#7 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 08:29 AM

Started my "winter project" a little early could not wait till it gets cold so I can do the nasty chore or degreasing. This one seems like it will be much easier then my Simplicity 3212 as far as rusty parts are concerned. On the good side my wife dont think I am crazy anymore, after she saw me bring home the first rust bucket I am sure she though the old man lost his mind. then after unloading it I was walking around that thing like it was a shinny new car. 

as promised 20151017_085812.jpg

20151017_085758.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you

#8 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 06:57 AM

Update ...still not winter yet 

20151029_110719.jpg

Got it stipped down 

20151029_110542.jpg

Think I found why it lost spark

20151029_110554.jpg

Think I found where the oil leak came from.

20151029_110418.jpg

Got this painted anyway

20151029_110256.jpg

Got the frame painted but will upload them when I get pictures.

Thats all for now.

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 07:13 AM

At least you are making progress!

#10 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 07:33 AM

At least you are making progress!

well anyone can take them apart...lets see if I can get it back together...lol

• KennyP and jpackard56 have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 07:34 AM

I can understand that! They can be quite the puzzle!

• jpackard56 said thank you

#12 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 11:01 AM

Hi John, welcome to the Sears Suburban world great tractor (at least I think so have 6 of them) your making good progress it will be a nice looking machine when your done, I sure would like to have a sickle mower but your way to far away for me. One model of Suburban I don't have is a Hydro wouldn't mind one of those. As for the SSI unit if what you found doesn't fix the problem I recommend Dale Colvert's Over night Solutions replacements they are all new parts work like original end of ignition problems  http://overnight-solutions.com/

#13 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 06:07 PM

I cant wait till I get to the ignition problems that will mean I am done with the rolling chassis.Thanks for the recommendation! I was online looking at the parts diagram today and found that I had some of the wrong bolts missing washers etc. so I spent most of my day getting it all correct. As I have never done a sears suburban and only very few tractors I am taking my time to make sure everything goes back together the way it should. hate taking half the tractor back apart because you forgot a spring or incorrectly routed a wire...lol

Here are a few update picts. 

20151101_173244.jpg

20151030_094024.jpg

20151101_173307.jpg

• KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:01 PM

Looks real good! Slow and easy can help a lot!

#15 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 770 Thanks
  • 510 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:14 PM

I know I may have broken a rule by changing the color, but its for my own personal use as this will most likely only see snow duties, so I though a nice mf blue and some extra white will liven things up a bit. I actually shot some pontiac and mistic blue but just was not happy with it so a complete color change it will be.

Off topic but the car in the back ground was last winters project

113013095813.jpg

• KennyP said thank you