• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 11:15 AM

Congratulations on your win. First prize regardless of what the honour!

..I hope that ford was second place behind you,,,sure looks a lot like my old ford but unfortunately i had to eventually squirt a coat of paint on the "suspect truck" as I frequently cross the border and don't need any aggravation from either side

100_0508.jpg

• Cvans, MFDAC and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#17 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 02:30 PM

Neat! Yours looks pretty solid yet. Not sure what the "cool" factor was that guy mentioned?? Cool would be good to me, not bad. On those Rat Rods, most are just a way to have a so-called rod and have no money for a nice one, so built from junk. YES, I have seen them sprayed with clear-coat, right over all the rust and dirt and all. Saw one at Portland this year like that, but was on a Corvette Chassis and was quite a mover on road!

• MFDAC said thank you

#18 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 08:37 PM

I guess different folks have different ideas about what's ugly.

Sure, the overwhelming opinions are that it's not ugly but it was for fun and for 100 bucks---it can be voted ugly more often!

Congratulations.  That is one ugly cool truck.

Cool is what we hear the most from folks. The goal was in 2009 when I got it was to just save it from the crusher. Didn't really expect it to become my daily driver but it is now!

Wonderful it survived, now it has a trophy. Dubious honor is still an honor. :thumbs:

The hand-customized trophy is and honor to us!

Well may be it is me , but that is one good looking truck , That's when trucks were trucks. Congrat. on your win

Patrick.

No one actually flat out called it ugly but the unknown judges voted and I had to accept the decision, and it was fun being in another parade!

Yep, I know what you mean.  I think this truck tips the scale of "cool" pretty darned good!  And I'm basically a Ford guy.

I have a soft spot for old trucks, even Fords! My first truck I owned was a 1955 International 100.

When I was 6 or 7 my oldest brother would let me steer his '56 on the back roads to the dump. Three on the tree. Sure wish I had it now.

Congrats on the win. That's one cool ride :thumbs:

This truck has the old SM 420 4 speed (1st granny) and I love the sound of them. I sure wouldn't have argued about a 3 on the tree, we owned several, including the International I spoke of above. I had a big "Old Style" beer tapper handle on it for a shifter knob and to shift from 2nd to 3rd all I had to do was press the clutch and the weight of the knob would make the shift! 3 on the trees are darn-near non-existant any more and would be a great anti-theft device!

That brings back memories. My uncle had a 55 chevy Cameo(I think ) with a slide in camper.
He took his whole family(big family 7 kids) to Texas and Arizona in it one year.

If the box wasn't a step side like my truck is, it would be a Cameo in '55! The regular Fleetside didn't come out until '58 I believe.

Congratulations on your win. First prize regardless of what the honour!

..I hope that ford was second place behind you,,,sure looks a lot like my old ford but unfortunately i had to eventually squirt a coat of paint on the "suspect truck" as I frequently cross the border and don't need any aggravation from either side

100_0508.jpg

The lady that drove the Ford had to get back to her rock shop she owned so wasn't there for awards. We talked to her quite awhile before the parade. I think she got 3rd. Dig your old Ford and your pics on the link. It looks great after paint! I also like the Merc truck tailgate and oil bottle!

Neat! Yours looks pretty solid yet. Not sure what the "cool" factor was that guy mentioned?? Cool would be good to me, not bad. On those Rat Rods, most are just a way to have a so-called rod and have no money for a nice one, so built from junk. YES, I have seen them sprayed with clear-coat, right over all the rust and dirt and all. Saw one at Portland this year like that, but was on a Corvette Chassis and was quite a mover on road!

Yeah in this day and age bad is good, sick is cool and who knows what else! I think the original idea of the so-called rat rod was to build a safe, reliable and maybe even fast car or truck using as little money as possible and as much stuff laying around as could be found. Nowadays there are some "rat rods" out there that have 10's of thousands spent on them to make them look old and crude. I guess "My Ol' '55" (an old Eagles song) is a rat farm truck or maybe just an abandon-looking farm truck!

Edited by MFDAC, October 16, 2015 - 08:39 PM.

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#19 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 09:40 PM

That sure beats fighting flooded wells and property. Neat old truck. Congratulations.  :thumbs:

Darn it Chris, sorry I completely missed your post! Yeah I was sure relieved when the well finally dropped and the MF12 didn't get stuck in mud a couple of times during each mowing! Sure hope all is well in Eastern SD!

DAC

#20 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 01:13 PM

Congrats on the truck and the trophy. I have half a dozen of the 55 - 59 Chevy and GMC trucks. I call them my "Frog Faced Chevys". Someday I will get to restore a couple. One is even a factory four wheel drive. Good Luck, Rick

Congratulations !!

Gotta love those old "frog faced trucks" as Boyscout calls 'em. I have a 56 GMC myself with the Pontiac V-8 tri-power and a close ratio 4-speed that needs finished, someday....

Hi Rick and Jpackard, Sorry I had to get off the computer before I got done doing replies to all these great comments! I remember Rick mentioning having some old GMC's before but didn't know one was a factory (Napco?) 4x4! What a workhorse!

JPackard, that is so cool you are still keeping a Pontiac V-8 in yours! So many of them get those great engines pulled in favor of Chevy V-8's. Even my '55 had a Chevy six banger transplanted into it long before I ever owned it. Is that Tri-power from a 60's GTO?

Have either of you posted pics of your old GMC's on this site anywhere? I would really dig seeing them! If not, if it's ok with the administrators, you could post them here in this thread. It's ok with me if it would become and "Ugly Truck" (tongue in cheek name) thread for everyone!

DAC 

Edited by MFDAC, October 17, 2015 - 01:17 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,395 Thanks
  • 39,658 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 05:27 PM

I took a pic of one for you today, Dac!

2015-10-17 09.43.16.jpg

• MFDAC and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#22 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 08:36 PM

I took a pic of one for you today, Dac!

Very cool, Kenny! I will add that pic to my 50's GMC picture collection. I think they called those an LCF, or low cab forward. It was in between an all out cabover and a conventional cab configuration. Glad to see it still working!

DAC

• KennyP said thank you

#23 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 10:58 PM

uploadfromtaptalk1445140638784.jpg I don't see many ugly trucks just cool ones like this
  • KennyP, Cvans, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#24 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 07:43 AM

Well guys I know you all like pics so I thought I would share my ugly truck with everyone. This is my show truck and an old Wheelhorse I use to haul around in the back of it.

truck sale 014.JPG

truck sale 005.JPG

truck sale 017.JPG
  • olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#25 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted October 18, 2015 - 07:00 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_20150630_111838491.jpg I don't see many ugly trucks just cool ones like this

Oh I know what you mean Nbent, ugly is just supposed to be funny here, even though we got an "official" judgement with our '55! That GMC COE is beautiful and cool! I hope it gets back on the road again someday. I was bummed that I couldn't save the pic to my collection though---

Well guys I know you all like pics so I thought I would share my ugly truck with everyone. This is my show truck and an old Wheelhorse I use to haul around in the back of it.

attachicon.giftruck sale 014.JPG

attachicon.giftruck sale 005.JPG

attachicon.giftruck sale 017.JPG

Love the Ford and the WH! Great looking combo! I wanted to put my old MTD LT in the truck for the parade and contest but just ran out of time.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• UncleBill2.jpg

• KennyP and Jack have said thanks

#26 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 07:34 AM

attachicon.giftruck sale 014.JPG

attachicon.giftruck sale 005.JPG

attachicon.giftruck sale 017.JPG

Jack, think I've seen your truck around. I thought there was one like that which uses to sit on the west side of Hamiltucky.

• Jack said thank you

#27 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 10:32 AM

JPackard, that is so cool you are still keeping a Pontiac V-8 in yours! So many of them get those great engines pulled in favor of Chevy V-8's. Even my '55 had a Chevy six banger transplanted into it long before I ever owned it. Is that Tri-power from a 60's GTO?

Actually have had some 60's Pontiacs with Tri-powers but this engine is a completely different block. This Tri-power is from the 1957 Bonneville V-8.

Next time I get things un-buried and un-tarped I'll try to get a photo. Nothing fancy just primer black. I'm got a disc-brake, posi 80 Trans Am axle that I've been thinking of swapping into it, course that means all new proportioning vales and plumbing etc.(time n money) The GMC and my 79 Trans-Am 455 have both been hiding in storage in the barn for years now because of teenage drivers in the household. I have had 5 teens on the insurance at one time (yes that hurts)...Nobody warns you about that when they are little....Love em all and now they are starting to get married and move out so maybe next year I can swing the insurance. I really want to take the 455 to Drag Week someday..

• MFDAC said thank you

#28 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,736 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 03:18 PM

Awesome. If I ever win a car show it will be in the "how the heck is that still running" category.

• KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#29 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 05:21 PM

Jack, think I've seen your truck around. I thought there was one like that which uses to sit on the west side of Hamiltucky.

Marty your right. That's where I bought it. I have since sold it. A guy made me an offer I could not refuse. Wish I still had it but I made to much money not to let it go.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#30 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted October 19, 2015 - 09:00 PM

Actually have had some 60's Pontiacs with Tri-powers but this engine is a completely different block. This Tri-power is from the 1957 Bonneville V-8.

Next time I get things un-buried and un-tarped I'll try to get a photo. Nothing fancy just primer black. I'm got a disc-brake, posi 80 Trans Am axle that I've been thinking of swapping into it, course that means all new proportioning vales and plumbing etc.(time n money) The GMC and my 79 Trans-Am 455 have both been hiding in storage in the barn for years now because of teenage drivers in the household. I have had 5 teens on the insurance at one time (yes that hurts)...Nobody warns you about that when they are little....Love em all and now they are starting to get married and move out so maybe next year I can swing the insurance. I really want to take the 455 to Drag Week someday..

Pictures I've seen of the GMC Pontiac V-8 look so similar to later ones, even up to the 70's, but I have never seen the real deal. I have been told that 60's Pontiac engines were almost a direct bolt-in. Is that actually true?

I would dig seeing pics but only when it's easiest for you to get them. Sounds like you were insurance poor with that many teenagers at once! We only had 2 and they are both mid to late 20's now. I've only got liability on my '55 and it costs less than 10 bucks a month. All 3 of my GMC's currently on the road are $147 for 6 months liability.

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, October 19, 2015 - 09:01 PM.