• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 blue88s2003 OFFLINE  

blue88s2003

• Member No: 2739
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 07:36 PM

got a 1975 case 222 and replaced the pump cause it would move slow.replaced with another used pump,did not look much better inside.will hardly move and took the rear end plug out and milky watery fluid came out,looks like creamy coffee.do you think it might be the drive motor on the rear axle?the deck comes up slow as well

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 08:06 PM

You have water in the oil. You need to change the oil.
  • blue88s2003 said thank you

#3 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 09:40 PM

got a 1975 case 222 and replaced the pump cause it would move slow.replaced with another used pump,did not look much better inside.will hardly move and took the rear end plug out and milky watery fluid came out,looks like creamy coffee.do you think it might be the drive motor on the rear axle?the deck comes up slow as well

The first thing you did wrong was to not trouble shoot the original problem. The second thing you did wrong was to buy a used pump. A used pump is a worn pump and unless you are experienced at repair hydraulic equipment, you won't know how worn the pump is.

So let's start over. Tell me what oil you used when you refilled the hydraulic system after changing the pump.

As for the trans-axle, open the pipe plug on the bottom of the housing and let whatever is in there flow out overnight. Then put the plug back in and snug it.

Remove pipe plug on the back of the trans-axle. Then remove the vertical bolt on the right side of the TOP of the trans-axle just behind the beige metal panel that is below the seat. You use a 3/4" wrench to remove that bolt. Get a funnel that will work in that 1/2 hole and pour 3 qts of diesel fuel into it. It should drip out the plug on the back. Put that plug back in. Jack the tractor up and put a pair of stands under it so the tractor is secure and the wheels rotate freely. Start the tractor up after placing it in high range. Let the engine idle and push the travel lever forward so that at least one wheel is spinning. Leave it for ten minutes. Pull the travel lever slowly back to neutral and shut off the engine. Drain the trans-axle again. How nasty is the stuff that comes out? If it looks bad, then repeat the process. You are using the diesel to wash the gears and other parts clean. If the diesel doesn't come out clean, then it is obvious what you must do.

When it finally looks clean, then you can refill the trans-axle with 15W40 Rotella T motor oil from Shell. It takes 3 quarts.

In the meantime, answer the other question about the hydraulic oil .

#4 blue88s2003 OFFLINE  

blue88s2003

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 08:14 AM

i think i used hydraulic oil,cant see why it would make that much difference but i bought some 15w40 im replacing it with.i know the rear end has water crap and to replace that but that wont cause it not to move.if the oil dont work,good chance its the pump i bought off ebay from joes outdoor power,whom i see is selling another pump and i asked him did you actually see the tractor move and lift the deck and told him that pump i got ofdf him was worn out inside.

#5 blue88s2003 OFFLINE  

blue88s2003

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 08:17 AM

i know,but that wont cause the tractor not to move.it tries.that rear end is seperate from the hydraulic system.

#6 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 09:09 AM

then you can refill the trans-axle with 15W40 Rotella T motor oil from Shell. It takes 3 quarts.

Is this the recommended oil weight to add to the trans axle? I used 80w in the rear end and use 15w 40 Rotella in the hydraulic system? I think I need to change mine if it is. I have a '71 446.

#7 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 10:28 AM

i think i used hydraulic oil,cant see why it would make that much difference but i bought some 15w40 im replacing it with.i know the rear end has water crap and to replace that but that wont cause it not to move.if the oil dont work,good chance its the pump i bought off ebay from joes outdoor power,whom i see is selling another pump and i asked him did you actually see the tractor move and lift the deck and told him that pump i got ofdf him was worn out inside.

How did you determine that it was worn out? What pressure does the pump keep up with? Did you check the linkage?

#8 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 10:29 AM

Is this the recommended oil weight to add to the trans axle? I used 80w in the rear end and use 15w 40 Rotella in the hydraulic system? I think I need to change mine if it is. I have a '71 446.

Not worth changing till your next service

#9 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 10:31 AM

Most "hydraulic oil" is totally incorrect for the Case Hydriv system. Depending on where you live and when you use this tractor, you can choose between 30W, 20W50 or 15W40 motor oil. In order to properly diagnose the true problem with your tractor, you should change the oil but it is not 100 percent essential. What you need at this point is a glycerin filled pressure gauge that reads zero to 5000 PSI. You will also need a high pressure hose that is rated for 3000 PSI working pressure and some fittings that will allow you to connect the hose to the gauge and the hose to the tractor's hydraulic system. There is a combination drain/test port located on the underside of the travel/lift valve. You use a hex shaped wrench (Allen key) to remove it.

With the gauge installed, place the trans-axle in high range and chain the tractor to something it cannot pull. Start the tractor's engine, let it warm up a bit, open the throttle wide, ease the tractor forward to tighten the chain and then watch the gauge while you continue to push the travel lever away from you. The relief valve is set at 2150 PSI and if your pump cannot develop close to that pressure, then the pump is worn out. If you PM me, I will tell you where to find a new pump for around $200.00. Don't waste your time with old pumps. They are a throw away item.

You are correct that the oil in the trans-axle has nothing to do with this problem. However, oil in the trans-axle is a problem and I explained a way for you to resolve it without having to remove the trans-axle from the tractor.

#10 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 10:33 AM

You are fine with 80W gear oil. The manual states that you can use either gear oil or motor oil.

#11 blue88s2003 OFFLINE  

blue88s2003

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 02:28 PM

i took the pump apart and you can see and feel where its worn

#12 blue88s2003 OFFLINE  

blue88s2003

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 02:31 PM

anybody know where i can get a decent pump for my 222?i have it out of the tractor now and plan on not doing this again.i take it out by taking the battery out,taking the oil tank out,take each bolt of the sides,pull the pump out this way.

#13 blue88s2003 OFFLINE  

blue88s2003

• 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 02:34 PM

yes,the plungers move in and out fully.took the directional control vavle apart,no dirt,check balls and springs good.

#14 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 03:28 PM

Get a gauge like hydriv said. It wont cost you more than $30 all together. 1/4" hex key, filled gauge, 1/4" hose

IMG00339.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG00338.jpg
  • IMG00341.jpg
  • IMG00336.jpg

#15 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 04:17 PM

You are fine with 80W gear oil. The manual states that you can use either gear oil or motor oil.

Ok thanks Hydriv