• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 4u2nv OFFLINE  

4u2nv
  • Member No: 75591
  • 35 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 08:50 PM

Congrats on finding it! Daniel is way more knowledgable than me on the interworkings of these tractors. I have taken one apart and planned on providing pictures so anyone interested to see how it looks inside at when I get the time. The rear end uses a sunstrand gear pump. I have never noticed any writing/marking on the transaxle itself, but there are model numbers on the bottom side of the pump- just opposite of the shifter that sits on top of the pump.

Here is a thread I started when I had an issue with one of mine. These rear ends were found in early JD 140 tractors and the Palomino jeep looking mowers.
http://gardentractor...and-transaxles/

Like Daniel said above I do have transaxles and gear pumps for sale.

Can't wait to see those pictures!

Sent you a pm about those parts.

These steering columns were made by Ross. I have not checked but pretty sure Cub Cadet used them in some of their models.

The only Cub Cadet ones I found were just as long as this one, found one Wheel Horse one that was close but big money. Wish I could find a steering wheel that was at least close too.

#17 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 09:09 PM

I need to look but I think the last D series tractors used the same steering wheel. This grainy picture of a steering wheel is off a d4-12. I may have one if they are the same. Will look over the weekend and compare.
image.jpg

Edited by sacsr, October 15, 2015 - 09:13 PM.

• 4u2nv said thank you

#18 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 10:37 PM

Very happy that you found this tractor. It's great to save a piece of equipment like this and even better that it's back in the family.

As for removing the axles it is quite easy. Check the manual section here for the jb tractor manual and it shows a cross section drawing of the axle assembly and an explanation for changing them out. Simple as removing the cover and sliding out the assembly. I just did this on my hd12 which uses the same rear end. The bearings are R18 ball bearings and I have the seal number somewhere if you need it. The end caps/retainer on the axle are nla and can be hard to come by but with care you can remove and reuse them.

These transmissions and axle assemblies were used on jd 140's below serial number 30000 so that is another source for parts. Sacsr is the guy for a lot of hog parts as mentioned above and if he doesn't have it may be able to send you in the right direction.

Congrats on your find and have fun with it. Keep us posted and post pics! We learn a lot here by sharing our finds/problems/solutions.
  • MH81, sacsr and 4u2nv have said thanks

#19 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 10:38 PM

I need to look but I think the last D series tractors used the same steering wheel. This grainy picture of a steering wheel is off a d4-12. I may have one if they are the same. Will look over the weekend and compare.
image.jpg

You are correct. My very late d410 has this wheel.

#20 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 11:12 PM

That's great! Glad you where able to track it down! :dancingbanana:

It looks to be fairly complete too! You will have it back in shape in no time I am sure. And we have plenty of knowledgeable people to help you along the way.

So what end of this large State are you from?

#21 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 04:19 AM

4u2nv, :welcometogttalk: 

Glad you found your family tractor!

• 4u2nv said thank you

#22 4u2nv OFFLINE  

4u2nv
  • 35 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 08:20 AM

The bearings are R18 ball bearings and I have the seal number somewhere if you need it. The end caps/retainer on the axle are nla and can be hard to come by but with care you can remove and reuse them.

If you could find those seal numbers that would be great. Your post was a great help, will probably dig into it more this weekend.

So what end of this large State are you from?

I updated my profile, way on the otherside from you... Tiverton.

• chris m and rbooker have said thanks

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 08:25 AM

If you could find those seal numbers that would be great. Your post was a great help, will probably dig into it more this weekend.

Isn't that just a 15 minute drive?   Hey, it is RI ya know!  :rolling:

• KennyP, Delmar, chris m and 1 other said thanks

#24 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • 265 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 09:42 AM

posted info here: http://gardentractor...s-bearings-etc/

• sacsr and 4u2nv have said thanks

#25 4u2nv OFFLINE  

4u2nv
  • 35 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 03:12 PM

Isn't that just a 15 minute drive?   Hey, it is RI ya know!  :rolling:

Haha... it's at least 60 minutes.    :poke:

• olcowhand and chris m have said thanks

#26 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 07:00 PM

This may be another choice for the steering column. It may be too long as well. Maybe get the guy to measure it. I will measure mine tomorrow. I have an old stock on for a HD-12 that I plan on keeping. it is Ross as well but made differently. I thought they used the same in both the JB and HD, but now know that they did not.

http://www.ebay.com/...d2IAAOSwiLdV-vM

• 4u2nv said thank you

#27 4u2nv OFFLINE  

4u2nv
  • 35 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 09:20 PM

This may be another choice for the steering column. It may be too long as well. Maybe get the guy to measure it. I will measure mine tomorrow. I have an old stock on for a HD-12 that I plan on keeping. it is Ross as well but made differently. I thought they used the same in both the JB and HD, but now know that they did not.

http://www.ebay.com/...d2IAAOSwiLdV-vM

Already emailed him... it measures 16 3/8 inches. The original is 14 1/2, that's the tube length. Mine is 21, so that one would be better.

#28 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 10:32 PM

That is like on the other side of the Planet! :poke: :D. Sorry for the late reply, I work second shift and... I got called in early! 

#29 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 09:13 PM

This is so great!! I remember seeing your posts over the years looking for it. I'm so happy you finally did. :)

I have to ask, how did you know this particular one was yours? I assume there must be some specific identifiers on it that you were able make. Is it in completely different condition than how it was when it left your family originally?

• 4u2nv said thank you

#30 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 09:16 PM

This is so great!! I remember seeing your posts over the years looking for it. I'm so happy you finally did. :)

I have to ask, how did you know this particular one was yours? I assume there must be some specific identifiers on it that you were able make. Is it in completely different condition than how it was when it left your family originally?

The one you are thinking of is Titus (Pete) he is still looking for his dad's Bush hog. Both people from Rhode Island even!

• Austen said thank you