• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 4u2nv OFFLINE  

4u2nv
  • Member No: 75591
  • 35 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 06:57 PM

A little introduction, way back in 2009 I stumbled on a thread by olcowhand about his JBI redo over on MTF. I've been lurking and keeping an eye out ever since.

I had been looking for my grandfather's old Bush Hog Javelina II since 2008ish, when my grandfather passed away my uncle sold it. I remember being a kid and getting to cut the grass with it... the good ol' days. Well after years of searching and with the help of some family members I finally found it. Unfortunately it's not in very good shape, but looks salvageable. I have the original engine but it needs a complete rebuild.

Does anyone know about the rear axles, I really need some replacements. The key way slots are shot and one even has the axle nut welded on. I know they were used on other tractors but information is so hard to find on these machines. I can't even find the name or model on the rear end anywhere.

Thanks guys, look forward to restoring this one.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0657.jpg
  • IMAG0656.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, jpackard56 and 13 others have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,446 Thanks
  • 1,597 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 07:24 PM

I remember someone looking for a family owned Bush Hog. Glad you finally tracked it down after all this time. I had one of those exact same machines that I got from a neighbor with a rod knock. That had to be 20 years ago. I rebuilt the engine and used it to haul firewood out. I bought a four wheeler in 2001 and gave the tractor to the original owners great grandson. The kid was about 15 at the time and needed something to get firewood out for his grandfather. The kid used the tractor for quite a while and finally got a bigger tractor. Unfortunately, the Bush Hog got scrapped when metal prices were up.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 07:35 PM

So glad you found it. There does look to be hope.

Are the axles so bad that they can't be repaired? Possibly a new keyway 180* around the shaft?
  • tiretrx and 4u2nv have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,345 Thanks
  • 39,627 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 07:38 PM

I'm glad the tractor is back in the family. Stay tuned as there are folks here that can offer good advice!

#5 4u2nv OFFLINE  

4u2nv
  • 35 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 07:45 PM

So glad you found it. There does look to be hope.

Are the axles so bad that they can't be repaired? Possibly a new keyway 180* around the shaft?

The axle nut is welded onto the axle so the threads are all messed up too. If I can't find replacements I may try to find a machine shop that can fix them up.

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 07:53 PM

Scott, GTT member sacsr has some complete NOS differential/axle assemblies (hydro/gear) that came from Galesburg, KS where these Hogs were built.  A few years ago, I went through Galesburg to buy 2 NOS hydro units, plus 2 differentials myself.

I'm glad I played a part on spurring on your search, and even happier for you that you finally found it.  I don't think your JB looks that bad at all.  You have all the bones and just need some new flesh to dress her up.  Yes it's gonna take some work, but it'll be worth it!

• KennyP, sacsr, tiretrx and 4 others have said thanks

#7 4u2nv OFFLINE  

4u2nv
  • 35 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 07:58 PM

Scott, GTT member sacsr has some complete NOS differential/axle assemblies (Hydrogear) that came from Galesburg, KS where these Hogs were built.

I'm glad I played a part on spurring on your search, and even happier for you that you finally found it.  I don't think your JB looks that bad at all.  You have all the bones and just need some new flesh to dress her up.  Yes it's gonna take some work, but it'll be worth it!

Do you know where would I locate the model and such on the axle assembly?

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 08:01 PM

Do you know where would I locate the model and such on the axle assembly?

I don't recall ever seeing a tag on any of mine, sorry.  If I feel like climbing into my barn loft tomorrow, I'll double check the last spare for any signs of tags or stampings.

• 4u2nv said thank you

#9 4u2nv OFFLINE  

4u2nv
  • 35 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 08:06 PM

I don't recall ever seeing a tag on any of mine, sorry.  If I feel like climbing into my barn loft tomorrow, I'll double check the last spare for any signs of tags or stampings.

Not a problem, just figured if I knew exactly what it was I'd have a better chance at finding parts... or a manual.

How do the axles come out? Is it neccesary to pull the whole thing apart or do they slide out?

#10 4u2nv OFFLINE  

4u2nv
  • 35 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 08:09 PM

It's also missing the side box cover and the original steering shaft and steering wheel. The one in it now is from a John Deere and way too long!

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 08:12 PM

Not a problem, just figured if I knew exactly what it was I'd have a better chance at finding parts... or a manual.

How do the axles come out? Is it neccesary to pull the whole thing apart or do they slide out?

Gotta split the whole thing I'm afraid.

• 4u2nv said thank you

#12 4u2nv OFFLINE  

4u2nv
  • 35 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 08:13 PM

Gotta split the whole thing I'm afraid.

Kind of thought so...

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 08:15 PM

It's also missing the side box cover and the original steering shaft and steering wheel. The one in it now is from a John Deere and way too long!

I had to make one of my covers, and it looks just like OE.  Just peened the edge of a piece of sheet metal to form the down-turned edge, and lift spot.  It would be very hard to find an original steering column, but you could shorten the JD column.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 08:32 PM

Congrats on finding it! Daniel is way more knowledgable than me on the interworkings of these tractors. I have taken one apart and planned on providing pictures so anyone interested to see how it looks inside at when I get the time. The rear end uses a sunstrand gear pump. I have never noticed any writing/marking on the transaxle itself, but there are model numbers on the bottom side of the pump- just opposite of the shifter that sits on top of the pump.

Here is a thread I started when I had an issue with one of mine. These rear ends were found in early JD 140 tractors and the Palomino jeep looking mowers.
http://gardentractor...and-transaxles/

Like Daniel said above I do have transaxles and gear pumps for sale.
  • olcowhand and rbooker have said thanks

#15 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 08:46 PM

These steering columns were made by Ross. I have not checked but pretty sure Cub Cadet used them in some of their models.