#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 04:57 PM

http://gardentractor...wisconsin-s14d/

This link will have photos and details on how I got those seized shafts out without any damage to the shafts or body.  Even got the idle adjusting screw out with a 1/4" impact driver.   .

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 08:33 PM

I bought a Kohler carb all seized and rusty, yet complete. I figured worst part is gonna be taking the tiny screws out that hold the butterflys. Can you say...TWIST off!  Will be a long time soaking before I try.  I'll have to look at your posting later.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 08:44 PM

I hear you loud and clear.  Takes a drill press vise and a good steady press to drill and re-tap those holes out and put new screws in.  Micro Fasteners has a good selection of various screws, drill bits and taps for those little guys.

I got the butterfly screws out with no  problem but now don't remember where I put them??  I seam to do that more here lately.  Tomorrow I hit the 3/4 century mark, think that may have something to do with it ? ?

Edited by chieffan, October 13, 2015 - 11:15 PM.

• Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 11:47 PM

I hear you loud and clear.  Takes a drill press vise and a good steady press to drill and re-tap those holes out and put new screws in.  Micro Fasteners has a good selection of various screws, drill bits and taps for those little guys.

I got the butterfly screws out with no  problem but now don't remember where I put them??  I seam to do that more here lately.  Tomorrow I hit the 3/4 century mark, think that may have something to do with it ? ?

Happy Birthday.  Many of us share the "where did I leave that" problem. Its the reward for getting old. I find that vitamin B12 helps. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 13, 2015 - 11:47 PM.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted October 14, 2015 - 03:06 AM

Heck, I put stuff in zip-lock bags that I write on and usually on bench or in a box set aside. THEN, later can't remember where or what box I put the whole set-up in. Real bad when you don't mark what the bolts or small parts are or where from and you can't recall when trying to re-assemble.  Called CRS......Can't Remember S***!

• karl said thank you

#6 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted October 14, 2015 - 10:29 AM

My kids call it "oldtimers" disease. Others call it C.R.A.F.T. disease (Can't Remember A F----ing thing).

#7 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted October 14, 2015 - 10:54 AM

Thanks guys.  What ever the heck it is I wish they would find a remedy for it.  My SO has the same problem so we trade trying to find each others stuff.  Some times it work - some times it don't.

Several year ago the wife of a good friend accused him of being forgetful.  He would come back with NO.  I am not forgetful.  My brain only has so much capacity.  At my age it gets full and when you keep adding more something as to leave.  I like that theory.