• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 01:49 AM

Here I go again---- back in the day we butchered our own pork, but I'm the first to admit that doing a pig is not as easy as butchering a beef. We always scalded them instead of skinning, and that requires a tractor with a loader big enough to dunk a 200lb. pig in a barrel of hot water. Alternatively they can be laid out on a table and covered with scalding cloth and then scraped, but neither is easy. Makes a person appreciate the piggy puffs you buy in the store, lol. Up here we can still haul a live pig to the butcher, but very few of them still scald and scrape, mostly they skin them. Easier for them by far, but I still like the rind on a pork roast.

#32 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 01:07 PM

Here I go again---- back in the day we butchered our own pork, but I'm the first to admit that doing a pig is not as easy as butchering a beef. We always scalded them instead of skinning, and that requires a tractor with a loader big enough to dunk a 200lb. pig in a barrel of hot water. Alternatively they can be laid out on a table and covered with scalding cloth and then scraped, but neither is easy. Makes a person appreciate the piggy puffs you buy in the store, lol. Up here we can still haul a live pig to the butcher, but very few of them still scald and scrape, mostly they skin them. Easier for them by far, but I still like the rind on a pork roast.

Sold her today
  • oldedeeres said thank you