4 replies to this topic

#1 morepower302 OFFLINE  

morepower302
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 64862
  • 72 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted October 12, 2015 - 10:58 PM

I promised my wife a while ago that I would not add any more tractors to my collection, mainly due to limited space to store more and at that time, time to work on them.  For the past several years I have kept that promise.  However, an opportunity was presented to me recently for two more walk behinds that was difficult to refuse.

The first is a 1948 Standard Twin.  The PO told me that he had it running a few years ago.  Everything looks to be original and in good condition, so it shouldn't take much to get it running again.  The sheet metal is all in good condition, including the infamous cylinder shroud which is known to rust out from around the cylinders.  I have the original air cleaner for it as well, it's just not installed in the pictures.  One thing I was not aware of before going to pick it up is that it has the "convertible" transmission shift assembly.  I was happy to see this and questioned the PO if it ever had a sulky with it, which it did not since he has owned it.  So, I'm not sure if it was ever set-up as a complete convertible machine.  It did however have the side fold-down sickle bar mower, and is the reason the rear PTO pulley is installed.  Unfortunately the PO told me that he sold the sickle bar mower off separately.  He said he got an offer that he couldn't refuse, and for that mower I believe it.  It came with the set of cultivators pictured as well as a second drawbar assembly with a set of disks.

The second is 1937 Z-37 Handiman.  I was told this tractor was running last summer and came with a plow and set of cultivators.  The plow is missing the coulter disk assembly.  Other than that and the transmission belt guard everything seems to be there.  Does anyone have a complete plow assembly that they could post some pictures of?  I am interested to see if the coulter disk and related parts could be remanufactured relatively easily.

IMAG2992.jpg

IMAG2991.jpg

IMAG2993.jpg

IMAG2990.jpg

P.S. - I was wise enough to get pre-approval before bringing these home...

• earthgrinder, DougT, Gtractor and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,584 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 04:45 AM

VERY NICE!!!

I'd say the wait was well worth it.  :thumbs:  :worshippy1:

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 09:21 AM

I don't think you can mount the side sickle without the convertible sulky. At least not the one that was made for the convertible. I don't remember if they made a side sickle for the walk behind or not. I have a front mount sickle and it uses the same pulley. I know the early Viking twin had a side sickle but it ran different.

• Lauber1 said thank you

#4 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • Member No: 71036
  • 334 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 07:01 PM

There was a front mounted sickle bar and a front mounted side sickle bar for the walking twins driven off the rear belt pulley.  The convertible used a shaft driven side sickle bar that mounted between the drive wheels and sulky wheels.

Cliff

• DougT and Lauber1 have said thanks

#5 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 08:31 PM

the plow should look like this one. Not sure why yours has a 2 part share, and it looks to be missing the front hitch part, which is needed to set the angle of the bottom. This is the only picture I have right now of mine.

37 plow 003.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: standard twin, handiman