#1 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted October 12, 2015 - 06:34 PM

Just got this.Got rid of a basket case 1960-61 Wheel Horse Sub 400 that was really rough and a Sears Hydrotrac 12 parts tractor for it.And I'm very happy with it so far.I think I'll keep this one.It's super easy to work on and pulls a loaded trailer around 600lbs of fire wood with ease.

I've put a few parts into it but she runs pretty darn good.Paint is a tad rough but I'll worry about that after I get all the mechanical stuff taken care of.

So far I've put new Coil,Points,condenser,carb kit,fuel pump,starter bushings and brushes,both headlight bulbs,relined the brake band and swapped out the rear.

I have 2 new/used tires for on the front.The original front tires are cracked up pretty bad but they do have tubes in them.

I put a 77 14/6 rear in it.It now has a nice smooth operating splined axle tranny in it with fresh axle seals and fresh oil.

I have a big plow for the front and a 3 point for on the rear.I have to find me a decent sears 3 point plow and cultivator but that can wait till next spring.And possibly a deck and mule drive later down the road.

Next on the parts list is a new drive belt,1 idler belt and the missing grill piece.

I don't have much into it for parts.I had a bunch of the stuff sitting in the shed other than the condenser,headlights and brake band kit which cost me around $40 total.

100_1491.JPG 100_1495.JPG

noisy water filled tranny out.

100_1493.JPG

New tranny In

100_1494.JPG

I'll take a few more pics of it in the daylight.I just got the tranny in and done and hauled a big ole load of fire wood with it today.I don't want to Ever have to swap out the tranny again.It's a real bear to do by yourself.All I have is 2 floor jacks.Really needed an engine hoist or a 2nd person.

• MH81, Alc, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted October 12, 2015 - 06:41 PM

Oh I have to Tap 2 holes in each hub.For some reason the 14/6 only had 3 of the 5 holes tapped.They are drilled but no threads cut in them.You can tell that they never had threads because the holes are smaller than the bolts.

Thought there for a minute that someone stripped the threads out of them but nope.

Still have to take the carb back apart and do a little more cleaning to it.Idle circuit sounds a bit restricted.It will adjust out but not quite enough.Shill chuggs a bit at idle.

Edited by EricFromPa, October 12, 2015 - 06:44 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted October 12, 2015 - 07:05 PM

Lots of work left in that one. Isn't it amazing how they shoe-horned in that tranny?
First time I did it, I had two sailors call me and ask me to watch my language.
  • EricFromPa and KennyP have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted October 12, 2015 - 07:13 PM

Haha it's not fun doing it yourself.

I had it all in and back together then found out that the Hi/Lo rod going into the tranny was an inch to long.Was stuck in Low range and hit the frame when you try to put it in High range.

So back out it came and I unscrewed the rod from both trannys and put the shorter one in.Everything works on this old tractor.Even the factory Cigarette lighter and tail light works.Steering is nice and tight.I have a feeling She's going to be with me for a long time.

I think a new seat will be on the list after I get a new 5/8" x 82" belt.Tinda tired of having to bag the seat.The seat is the original padded seat and completely shot.

I might just find me a Sears Pan seat and throw on it.Never have to worry about it cracking and being water logged again.

Edited by EricFromPa, October 12, 2015 - 07:17 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 04:42 AM

Looks like there is lots of potential there. Solid tractors, and getting hard to find around here.

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 08:08 AM

The 77 14/6 was considered a custom so that's why you only had 3 lugs drilled.

tranny is not so bad, just a pain to reach some of the bolts and pins. I need to pull the one in my resto ST16 again for #4 time. Shifter must have broken a pin up top, the shifter rod just spins. Should've taken care of it when it was out at #3 time.

• Alc said thank you

#7 craftsmanmowerfreak OFFLINE  

craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Member No: 16215
  • 258 Thanks
  • 222 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 11:09 AM

splinned trannys are nice i put one in my ss15 lol came out of a 78 gt16

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 11:11 AM

These trannys are getting popular with the "mudding" crowd. I am on a few mudding mowers groups on FB and those guys really like the Sears rears cause they are fairly stout.

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 08:57 PM

Yep as long as they don't forget to put a new shifter seal and fresh axle seals in they will hold up really good.

Here's the shifter seal that I ordered.It's for a newer Craftsman GT18 but it will do the trick.The original seals are NLA though sears but found that this later model seal will work.

http://www.searspart...47/1509200.html

• KennyP said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,682 posts

Posted October 14, 2015 - 04:47 AM

I have one of those tranny's out back. Second gear is out of it. But it has the hi/lo.

#11 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 05:02 PM

Just went through the carb again it's running Much better.Ordered a new muffler and Aramid Kevlar belt last night.

The guy I got it off of has to drop off the grill piece and the other 3 point (he gave me the wrong one this lift handle is for an older square fender sears) and a Sears Pan seat.

I like the deep Sears pan seat over a padded seat.

Fresh Plow,3 point and tractor pics.Center link is froze up but I'll get her loose.

100_1496.JPG   100_1497.JPG   100_1500.JPG

100_1502.JPG   100_1501.JPG  

100_1498.JPG   100_1499.JPG

#12 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 05:10 PM

I had trouble with the tank leaking so I took it off and cleaned it up and Soldered it up.It's very clean inside but the tank wore though from it not being tied down very well.

It's all sealed up and has a bit of fresh paint on it now.I know it's the wrong color on the tank.That's just to keep it from rusting up.Found that can of paint in the shed.Hard to tell how old it is I forget what I got it for. 

I put a hunk of felt paper under the tank.That should keep it from rubbing through again if the tank straps loosen up.

Edited by EricFromPa, October 15, 2015 - 05:12 PM.

#13 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 03:37 AM

I'm still trying to get the Bugs worked out of the SS14.About to pull the head and check valve clearances on mine.It starts fine but sputters untill I give it about 1/2 throttle.

Thinking it's either exhaust valve or Condenser related.I took the muffler off and it's throwing a random flame out the pipe.Like a miss fire or valve not closing completly.My carb is spotless inside I boiled it out and took my time cleaning it and it has New points,Condenser and coil.

It's strange that it seems to run fine at anything above 1/2 throttle.I have a Nova II module in the shed I'm going to throw on it and see if it clears up.Hope it does I really don't feel like taking the head and breather off.Have to remove the Grill and hood and carb again to get at the breather.

I thought that my regulator might of been bad on mine after I went though the starter.Turned out that the Meter was bad.It showed it was charging with the lights on but would not go above 0 on the meter.Checked it with the volt meter and it's charging fine.

#14 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 03:48 AM

Just put the new $32 Red belt on it the other day.That took alot more time than I thought it would.The Red Armid fiber Kevlar belt is a bit grabby.I started it and let it run in for a good 20 minutes.Belt got pretty hot.I shut it off and left it cool down for a while then went out and fired it up and ran it around a while.The belt is running pretty cool now but it's still really grabby.Going to back the idler down a little.It's engaging just a tiny bit to soon.Brake Just disengages when the belt grabs. 

Good thing I swapped out the tranny when I did.I tore it down and it's a rusted up Mess.Every gear in it has heavy pitting especially the Bull gear.

Edited by EricFromPa, October 31, 2015 - 03:50 AM.