• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 04:12 PM

Hi all, It's been a while since I posted.  It's finally time to retire the 1974 Craftsman 20" single stage snow blower that we use at the family cottage.  I'll be replacing it with a 1992 Ariens model 924050 2 stage 24" machine I currently own.   

The Ariens has been and still is a good machine,  However it's a bit small for the driveway and walks at the house.  I'm considering replacing it with another Ariens machine and have an interest in 4 currently in the model lineup  I'm looking into either a 28" or 30" model.  The model numbers are 921039 (28" track drive), 921040 (30" wheel drive), 926053 (28" hydro wheel drive), and 926056 (28" hydro track drive).  All of these models are extremely expensive.  I don't want to make a mistake and end up with one that either won't do the job, is overkill for the job that needs to be done, or is a money pit that requires mega bucks to keep running.

The current 924050 model is wheel drive.  It does a nice job but takes 40 acres to turn around especially when using the limited slip feature.  The newer wheel drives claim to have a much smaller turning radius. 

I have no experience with the newer wheel drive system or the track drive models.  Hopefully someone here has had experience with one of the machines I'm considering and can offer an opinion.  I kind of like the idea of track drive, but again have no experience with it.  I don't know if it actually provides more traction or is just a marketing gimmick

Here's some information on the area I need to cover.  The main drive is 12' wide and a little over 200' long.  The garage is at a right angle to the main drive so the last 60' is 30' wide.  There are 2 sidewalks from the drive to the house.  Each is 4' wide and a little over 50' long. 

The neighbor's drive runs almost parallel to ours for the first 80'.  That means the snow from the first 80' of our drive has to be blown across the width of our drive onto our lawn.  The remaining 120' must be either blown over a 4' fence into the back yard, or along the side of the drive partially into the neighbors back yard.  The neighbors have no problem with blowing some snow in their yard, however I like to keep it to a minimum.

Suggestions and opinions would be appreciated.

#2 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,317 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 04:35 PM

The track drives are great, until it dies and you can't move it,,,and I think there a pain in the @$$ to turn around... I just inherited a brand new Jonesred,, bought the end of last February... not sure of the model, I thinks it's about 11 horse, 30 inch cut, I have to pick it up this week, good luck with your search.... R. I . P my buddy Mike....

#3 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 06:07 PM

I purchased husqvarnas top line track drive unit last year and could not be happier! A lot of people had told me you could not move them when inoperable, this is not true of my unit and most I looked at. They have a release to let them roll like most hydro units. My blower will turn on its own axis and throws snow farther than most other two stage units I tested. As far as traction goes, this machine has never had to be pushed anywhere! I am a retired veteran that separated all the ligaments in both shoulders so exerting any pressure on my arms may result in dislocation. This machine is the best walk behind unit I could have ever asked for and would buy another tracked unit even at its absorbanent price before I let someone pay me to take two of their wheeled machines!!! Just my opinion and I know many people have their two cents they would swear by but this veteran does not swear, just kidding. Hope this helps!
  • Cvans said thank you

#4 Clifford Bridgford OFFLINE  

Clifford Bridgford
  • Member No: 71036
  • 334 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 08:42 PM

Find yourself a used Gravely with the 12 HP Koehler engine .  A 5000 series from 1978 to about 1990 with the quick hitch 34 inch blower is ideal.  It will remove any type of snow, dry, wet, slush, and send it 30 to 60 feet.  It will cost you less then a new blower and will out perform anything on the market today. I bought mine new in 1980 and have never had any major repairs.  We had five feet of snow on the ground last winter, and I was done in two hours what my neighbors took all day with their modern equipment.  My driveway is about 30' wide and 120' long plus walks and a path to the barn. We got 31 inches in the first storm of the season, and about 10 to 15 inches every week for five weeks.

Cliff

#5 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 09:29 PM

I have nothing against older equipment and in fact own five older tractors with blowers. I also understand everyone has their own experiences and opinions. There is just something about using a brand new piece of equipment that puts a smile on most men's faces. I don't know of many blowers that can out perform my tracked husqvarna, it throws farther moves easier and definitely makes the neighbors jealous! My drive is about a thousand foot up a grade most cars won't make with an inch or two of snow on the ground, and this machine walks up it with a foot and a half on snow without even breaking a sweat ( me or the machine)! Buy what makes you happy and keeps your wife from saying what the he... Is that. Again just my two or three cents! Eric.

#6 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 858 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 05:43 AM

New smoo what put a smile on face is a 1964 Simplicity 9hp with the 23D original engine blowing snow.

101213_OldCamera_3012.jpg

101213_OldCamera_3015.jpg

landlordsnowbloweranddad.jpg

:D    Al

#7 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 08:51 AM

I finally made the plunge last week. I stopped at our local Ariens dealer and tested a model 926056 blower. It's a 28" tracked machine with a 420cc engine and hydrostatic transmission. It worked just like the Husqvarna described by Eric. It looked and felt like a quality machine, so I went through with the purchase. It was delivered late last week.

With all the fall yard work I haven't gotten a chance to do anything more than move it into the garage. Hopefully with the warm weather this week I'll be able to finish picking up the leaves and hauling them to the recycle station. I usually mulch and pick up between 6 and 9 trailer loads. The trailer holds a minimum of 3 yards, and I can stretch it to 5 yards with additions to the side boards. As usual I'll be glad when the job is done. Then I'll get a chance to play with the new machine and get a little more familiar with it before the snow flies.

Edited by projectnut, November 02, 2015 - 08:51 AM.