• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JBIowner OFFLINE  

JBIowner
  • Member No: 69752
  • 40 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 10, 2015 - 11:04 PM

I started restoring a JBI back in the spring and have the tractor basically back together.  The tractor has a front end loader (FEL) and a mower deck.  Both of these run off the PTO which drives the Jack Shaft, which activates the front mounted hydraulic pump (FEL) and also the drive shaft for the mower deck.   I would like to have the FEL pump running all the time without activating the mower deck. I believe the solution is to modify the Jack Shaft and add a second v-belt.  The first v-belt would be tensioned all the time which would drive the FEL pump.  The second v-belt would operate via the PTO tensioner and drive the second half of the modified Jack Shaft which would let me turn on/off the mower deck.  The modifications to the Jack Shaft will require mounting a couple of bearings and also adding some frame members.  This approach would basically create two separate Jack Shafts which would operate independently from each other.  I do tend to get tunnel vision when trying to resolve an issue so I thought I should see if anyone has any suggestions for accomplishing the goal?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0178.JPG

• jerseyeyes said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 04:32 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! We have some folks here that can help you with that. Give them a bit to see your post.

• JBIowner said thank you

#3 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 06:40 PM

Welcome to the forum! Good to see you joined. Daniel knows more about the JB's than any one else. Hopefully he or one of the other members will be able to help!
  • JBIowner said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 11, 2015 - 08:21 PM

I'll take a look at my all original JB1 and see what I think, but I doubt there's room to allow for 2 shafts under there and work well. May be a better way.
  • sacsr and JBIowner have said thanks

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 12, 2015 - 10:13 AM

As I figured, simply not enough room to add a 3rd pulley groove or room for a 2nd shaft under there.  I wouldn't recommend attempting a 2nd shaft, as it would likely screw with the mowing pto shaft and it's function running the deck.

P_20151012_1105301.jpg

But on the drive shaft side, there is room for a pulley next to the engine.  The pump could be located under the starter motor.  The starter would crank with the hydraulic pump turning full time as long as the starter is in proper working order and you had a good size battery in it, say like a 550cca or higher amp.

Pulley ratio would depend on pump size.  You might also put the pump mount so the pump could tilt out to tighten the belt, but would take more engineering.  Might be a bit tight for a belt tension pulley.

P_20151012_1104361.jpg

• KennyP, sacsr and JBIowner have said thanks

#6 JBIowner OFFLINE  

JBIowner
  • 40 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 09:44 PM

.  As I said I do tend to get tunnel vision on problems.  I thought was to address the mower drive, but maybe I should be looking at the pump drive/location.  Thinking outside the box does not come naturally.  I will look at the pump and see if I can move it to another location.  Thanks for the feed back.

• olcowhand said thank you

#7 JBIowner OFFLINE  

JBIowner
  • 40 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:20 PM

.  As I said I do tend to get tunnel vision on problems.  I thought was to address the mower drive, but maybe I should be looking at the pump drive/location.  Thinking outside the box does not come naturally.  I will look at the pump and see if I can move it to another location.  Thanks for the feed back.

Thanks for your feed back. I think I should focus on other issues. My concern was that if I had the mower deck installed and I wanted to just use the FEL that the mower would have to be running at the same time. What I have learned is that the mower driveshaft that attaches to the Jackshaft is easily disconnected. I inspected the driveshaft and found that it has a twist collar that makes it easy to just turn it and then pull the driveshaft back (disengaging the mower) The number of times I will need to do this should be seldom.
  • olcowhand said thank you